Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

BookBee8

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been meaning to get and read these for a while now, definately have to after the reviews here! Just wondered if any of you have read The Stuff of Nightmares? i got it a few months back and have yet to try it.

I haven't read any of Malorie's other books as of yet. I investigated the possibility the other day however her others seemed to be aimed more at younger readers. Is that one more of a Young Adult book?

Yes most of her other books do seem to be aimed at younger children, but this was in the teenage section and appears to be the same in all other bookstores etc too. definately aimed at older children(says me, the 24 year old:lol:)

Lol, I am also 24. If that one was in the teen section I might have a look at it. I am dieing for her to write more YA stuff, I think she is great.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading all these wonderful things about this series I eventually took the plunge and bought Noughts and Crosses and Knife Edge on a shopping trip. And I'm soooo glad I bought the first two at the same time - I was hooked!! I loved it from start to finish and was desperate to get stuck into the next book. I've now moved on to Checkmate which I'm enjoying just as much as the others, which I'm surprised about.

So thanks BookBee8 for introducing me to this wonderful series :)

:b7ydance:You are very welcome! I'm so glad that other people are reading them and seeing how amazing they are! :) I think I'm going to give them a re-read soon as all this talk is making me miss them, hehe. :)

I hope you like the next two as much as the first two, Rach!

Edited by BookBee8

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to go against the trend, but I'm about 120ish pages in, and I'm not sure I like it. The author is obviously wanting to write about racism, but instead of taking the general ideas, and using them in some kind of alternative/fantasy setting, she's just turning the colours around. I know they're written for teens, and maybe that's causing the problem for me, but everything feels very obvious, and I do feel as if she's kinda 'bashing me over the head' with it.. so to speak.

I'm probably not explaining myself, and as I say, I'm sorry to see it differently from everyone else. I shall continue for a while longer.

I thought the book was a bit difficult to get into at first, but despite the plot being obvious it did have me hooked :smile2: I have been a huge fan of the series for years but found the new book a bit of a let down. I think I liked the idea more of Malorie Blackman finishing with Checkmate instead, letting us decide for ourselves what happened (I promise I won't say anymore).

The bookstore I've found here doesn't have these books yet.. I asked the other day when we went to find me some books to rent. Hopefully when we get to Hong Kong I'll be able to get them easily from the library. I can't wait to read them after all the discussions!

I found this one much better once they were separated, but I'm afraid I always find it annoying when (

)a couple have sex just once, then she gets pregnant - I know it can happen, but it seems rather too convenient when in a story!

I was, however, glad that there wasn't a 'happy-ever-after' ending.

So, I can't say I enjoyed it as much as everyone else in this thread (sorry!), but I will eventually look out the next book in the series.

:) I kinda like when people don't like my favourite books. I'm not sure why. ;)

Yeah, it's strange. I don't like it when they don't like them at all but then it can irritate me if they like them too much. I dunno, I'm nutso.

See, when someone says "Oh, Noughts & Crosses is :censored:" or "Twilight is :censored:". It just makes me love the books more, I guess because they then become more personal. I can usually see their points too, but it either doesn't bother me or it's a bonus for the book.

It does really annoy me when someone slates a book that they've never read though. ;)

• 2 years later...