Worst ever film from a book?

kateleopald

Recently I read Roald Dahl's Matilda & Charlie and the chocolate factory. I especially loved Matilda. Was curious of C&TCF as it is a Burton/Depp project. But I saw the promo on Youtube and I was like Noooo!!!!!!! I can't watch it. It will forever ruin my vision of the characters!

Next I saw the first couple of minutes of Matilda. When I saw that Danny DeVito and Rhea Perleman were playing the parents, I immidiately decided NOT to watch!!!!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't a fan of the film adaptation of Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper. The book was beautiful, but the film ruined it....

agreed 150%!!

I absolutely loved the book My Sister's Keeper ... Hated the movie for it ... soo bad

Had a hard time picturing Cameron Diaz as the mother. Also, I just could not stand the ending where everyone had aged EXCEPT Abigail Breslin. Same age, when it is SHE who should have looked more changed.

Recently I read Roald Dahl's Matilda & Charlie and the chocolate factory. I especially loved Matilda. Was curious of C&TCF as it is a Burton/Depp project. But I saw the promo on Youtube and I was like Noooo!!!!!!! I can't watch it. It will forever ruin my vision of the characters!

Next I saw the first couple of minutes of Matilda. When I saw that Danny DeVito and Rhea Perleman were playing the parents, I immidiately decided NOT to watch!!!!

It's been a while since I read the book, but I read Matilda after having seen the movie a thousand times and I thought the book was actually quite disappointing. I really liked the movie and it's funnier than the book. I don't think Danny DeVito and Rhea Perleman did a very bad job playing the parents and I really think it's worth watching the movie.

It's been a while since I read the book, but I read Matilda after having seen the movie a thousand times and I thought the book was actually quite disappointing. I really liked the movie and it's funnier than the book. I don't think Danny DeVito and Rhea Perleman did a very bad job playing the parents and I really think it's worth watching the movie.

I agree that 'Matilda' isn't a bad film, but I hate Burton's version of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. It's far too weird and, even though I think that Johnny Depp is a good actor, I think he's terrible as Willy Wonka.

I agree that 'Matilda' isn't a bad film, but I hate Burton's version of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory'. It's far too weird and, even though I think that Johnny Depp is a good actor, I think he's terrible as Willy Wonka.

Totally agree with that. Do you think the book is better? I haven't read it, but I'm not very motivated to read it since I hate the movie.

I have a problem with DeVito & Perlman. I don't really care for them. I don't see them as the parents after having read Matilda. The illustrations of the parents in the book look nothing like DeVito/Perlman, and I really pictured the parents looking like the illustrations and I liked that. Also, Matilda was such a tiny cutie in the illustrations, that I would rather picture her like that.

Same goes for Charlie & the Chocolate Factory in some ways. The Oompa-Loompas in the film looks nothing at all like I pictured them in my head. Also, Willy Wonka looked nothing like how Johnny Depp looked like. So I just cannot bring myself to watch it!!! It would totally destroy my image of the characters. :hide:

I have a problem with DeVito & Perlman. I don't really care for them. I don't see them as the parents after having read Matilda. The illustrations of the parents in the book look nothing like DeVito/Perlman, and I really pictured the parents looking like the illustrations and I liked that. Also, Matilda was such a tiny cutie in the illustrations, that I would rather picture her like that.

Same goes for Charlie & the Chocolate Factory in some ways. The Oompa-Loompas in the film looks nothing at all like I pictured them in my head. Also, Willy Wonka looked nothing like how Johnny Depp looked like. So I just cannot bring myself to watch it!!! It would totally destroy my image of the characters. :hide:

I totally agree with you. The only good things about the Johnny Depp version, were that it mentioned that Charlie's dad working in a toothpaste factory (whereas in the 1970's version, Charlie didn't have a dad) and Pondicherry and the chocolate palace.

Apart from that, I prefer the Gene Wilder version of the book.

I like the Gene Wilder version too and showed my children both movies. They enjoyed some of the music in de Depp version better, but overall they preferred Wilder. Usually my children like Depp very much, especially my son, he keeps watching POTC movies, all of them. I can't even hear the music anymore. Yet both of my kids liked the older version of the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, mind you they are 12 and 14.

• 2 months later...

Oh no! Don't thell me they are making a Dorian Gray movie!

'The Golden Compass' is a winner in my personal worst screen adaptation top 5.

Actually,the movie sucks for a few reasons:

1.it leaves alot out from the book

2.they didnt complete the movie,they only made the movie of the first book in the series

Edited by Gad786

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was a bit disappointed at The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo american film adaptation. They completely changed the ending and I feel like the casting for Lisbeth Salander could of been better, someone a bit prettier :blush2: In the book she is supposed to be attractive, but in a strange fascinating kind of way. I haven't watched and read enough film to book combinations to really rank them though.

I was a bit disappointed at The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo american film adaptation. They completely changed the ending and I feel like the casting for Lisbeth Salander could of been better, someone a bit prettier :blush2: In the book she is supposed to be attractive, but in a strange fascinating kind of way. I haven't watched and read enough film to book combinations to really rank them though.

Have you seen the Swedish movies, they are a far better watch in my opinion.

The are Swedish with the option of subtitles or an English dub. I almost always watch foreign movies with subtitles as I feel that the dub loses something. I made the mistake of watching the second movie with the English dialogue over dub and it lost a lot of the emotion in the movie and really spoiled it for me.

I always prefer the non dubbed foreign movies for the same reason. I watched battle royal a second time with dub and it didn't have the same emotional feelings, the voices were just flat.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thoroughly disappointed with the film adaptation of Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper. I had to watch it in a RE lesson a couple of years ago when we were discussing saviour siblings, and everyone said what a good film it was, but they completely changed the ending of a beautiful story. :(

Twilight wasn't a very good adaptation from the books and also the last couple of Harry Potter's. They missed out so much or changed details. I mean, didn't Voldemort dying and the battle with him and Harry happen differently in the book?