Worst ever film from a book?

kateleopald

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to have a good think about this - there have been so many bad adaptations! However, one that immediately springs to mind is Killing Me Softly - the book by Nicci French was great, but the film (Joseph Fiennes and Heather Graham) was beyond awful.

P.S. I Love You - they totally ruined a fab book. I wanted to smack Hilary Sfiddle many times throughout- she was :lol:.

I've heard this before many times. I really enjoyed the book and the fact that they used American actors really peeved me from the very start so I have boycotted it since learning that. I couldn't imagine the irish humour lending itself to an american accent very well (or should that be the other way round :roll:) I imagine I would probably feel the same way you do! :P

I love that film, but I've never read the story :roll: It's on my list of things to read in 2009 though lol

blue.JPG

For me it's either Twilight or PS I Love You, both are terrible adaptions imo :P

Really???

I am very surprised to see this, as I have actually loved the movie.

Had no idea it was based on a book, now I'll have to track it down and read it :lol:

yup, didnt like it one little bit! well thats my opinion, i'm sure it'll be wrong haha,

biffo

Really???

I am very surprised to see this, as I have actually loved the movie.

Had no idea it was based on a book, now I'll have to track it down and read it :lol:

I think you will find the film and the book to be very different beasts, Asimov wasn't renown for his characterisation, so I suspect you will find the book to be a pretty dry read (I must admit to not having read it myself though!).

The Lost World by Michael Crichton.

The movie wasn't even recognizable as the same story. Crichton would never have written that the T-rex runs amok in San Diego. :lol:

I think you will find the film and the book to be very different beasts, Asimov wasn't renown for his characterisation, so I suspect you will find the book to be a pretty dry read (I must admit to not having read it myself though!).

I have added the book to my ever-growing TBR pile nevertheless. Even though I have read some Asimov myself in my younger day and I too have the impression his writing is pretty dry (but there is a probability I don't remember correctly, as he was my favorite author for a (pretty short) while, so he must have something for me to like :lol: )

This is a sore subject with me, lol. It's so disappointing when I have a book I love, and it gets turned into some mess on screen. I have a hard time remembering that some books just can't be perfectly duplicated on film, so lately I have just taken to not seeing films if it's from a book I really loved. My most hated films from books - The Shining (shame on you Stanley Kubrick!), Circle of Friends (perfect casting w/Minnie Driver, but that's where the positive commentary ends), Count of Monte Cristo (several film versions, all bad).

Interestingly enough, 2 of Stephen King's short stories were made into wonderful films, imo. The Body aka Stand By Me and Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption aka The Shawshank Redemption. Oh, and I never read Jaws, but I LOVE the film (one of my faves). Has anyone read it and if so was it better than the film?

I wouldn't say it was the worst ever book turned into a film, but i found i was really disappointed with the film of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Nightly in. Most people i know seemed to really enjoy it and i can't understand why! I really like her as an actress normallyl and like a lot of the other films she stars in though.

*strokes chin* We-ell, I can't think of any movie adaptation that did the book no justice at all. When my grandma and I watched the 1970 version of Jane Eyre this summer, we agreed that George C. Scott was too... young and normal-looking for Mr. Rochester. My grandma said the older one was much better, I think from the 1930s; but we weren't disappointed that we watched that one together or anything.

I have heard from some people that some movies from books were way overrated, like Eyes Wide Shut from my sister and The daVinci Code from my cousins and some movie critics.

In considering my answer to this funny question, I thought, "Yeesh, what movies have I even seen that were first books?" Here is a web site that lists all the movies based on books, with the book's title and author. I can't wait to look through it! It will be fun to see if there were any dramatizations of my favorite stories I didn't know about.

I wouldn't say it was the worst ever book turned into a film, but i found i was really disappointed with the film of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Nightly in.

Oh, but wasn't Mr. Collins hilarious in this version? I burst out laughing when he first spoke; his voice was spot-on grave and monotonous, even as he tried to romance his cousins.:lol: Ms. Austen, I think, would chuckle at that.

In considering my answer to this funny question, I thought, "Yeesh, what movies have I even seen that were first books?" Here is a web site that lists all the movies based on books, with the book's title and author. I can't wait to look through it! It will be fun to see if there were any dramatizations of my favorite stories I didn't know about.

Wow. First of all many thanks for the link, as I'm always curious when I hear about an interesting movie if it's the adaptation of a book I might read (usually books provide more depth than the movie so they are more worth checking out, in my opinion), so the list is pure gold for me. :roll:

Other than that I've only wanted to mention that I thought the DaVinci Code movie was pretty decent (and some beautiful special effects too). Truth is I don't think that (turning the book into a movie) was very had to do as it's been written very like a movie from the start (or so I thought). They could have gotten poor Tom Hanks a different haircut in the movie, I wholeheartedly agree, but I managed to get used to it after a while :lol: