Any suggestions for a good christmas present?

too_funky

As this is my first post sorry if this is in the worng place:

Hi, im struggling to find a good present for my dad, he really likes histroical novels, ones with lots of good history interweaved around a story or plotline (even better if its a true story), it could possibly even be written in the style of a first person account. He is not particulary fussy about what period of or event form history it is, as long as it is an accurate account.

Anybody aware of any bestsellers along these lines or just personal recommendations, any susgestions welcome,

Thanks in advance.

C J Sansom's Winter In Madrid, set in Spain just after the Civil War, was a book I enjoyed immensely.

If he's into more distant history, I'm told by fellow Forum members that Sansom's "Matthew Shardlake" novels, set in the days of Henry VIII, are excellent historical detective fiction. I think Dissolution is the first in the series, and you should be able to pick these up in any self-respecting bookshop!

Good luck!

Does your Dad like medieval history?

Jack Whyte has written a couple of books on the founding of the Knights Templars, called Knights of the Black and White and Standard of Honour which I think could be classed as quite "manly" books.

Another suggestion would be (and this is non-fiction) Masters and Commanders. I've bought this for my Dad for Christmas and details how Roosevelt, Churchill and Alenbrooke won war in the west. It is very good reading.

Thanks alot for the susgestions, Pillars of the Earth sounds right up his street because he also loves architecture aswell as history so a book based around the history of a church being built sounds perfect. However i may get a few from the list you guys have mentioned as they all seem pretty cheap on amazon, thanks alot everybody :D

Hi

I have bought my dad Bernard Cornwells books- The "Sharpe" novels were popular but theres also a few series set in medieval times as well. Conn Iggulden also does a Roman series (first one is Gates of Rome) and a series about Ghenhgis Khan which are good

Not sure how historically acurate they are but they are both writers of grown up "boys own" type tales which are a lot of fun (I liked Conn Is books too though!)

Oh yes, I forgot the Sharpe series. They are excellent books and although fictional, they are quite factual and well researched. Good choice!

Bernard Cornwall is an amazingly profilic writer, there are stacks to choose from, from Merlin to Agincourt to Sharpe (and bits in between):lol: