What music are you all into?

Tbird

Mine's a bit boring compared to what I've read on here.

My favourite style is classic, esp Debussy, Rachmaninoff and Elgar. I also love jazz like Oscar Petersen, Jamie Callum (when he's not singing) and Miles Davis. My fav composer is Gershwin and I can listen to his stuff all day.

I have recently discovered a love for piano jazz. Could you recommend me something, as I don't really have a clue what to look for.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another jazz fan here too (amongst other things!).

I have recently discovered a love for piano jazz. Could you recommend me something, as I don't really have a clue what to look for.

For me, Harry Connick Jr was my introduction to jazz piano, but not all of his albums are jazz piano - he's branched out into other genres at times, and he sings as well, so go for the early recordings when he was a child/teenager for just piano pieces.

Oscar Peterson is a absolute legend on piano, so he would definitely be worth looking into.

If you don't mind a vocal accompaniment to the piano, one of my other favourites is Blossom Dearie who was unique but simply wonderful in my book, and Nina Simone is an incredible piano player as well.

If you want something less traditional and more modern, you could try The Bad Plus, who are a trio who compose their own pieces as well as rework some modern pop/rock songs.

My absolute favourite singers are Ella Fitzgerald, who is simply the best singer I've ever had the pleasure to listen to (the only thing that makes me wish I'd be born earlier so I could have heard her live), and Claire Martin who is stunning both recorded and live.

My favourite style is classic, esp Debussy, Rachmaninoff and Elgar. I also love jazz like Oscar Petersen, Jamie Callum (when he's not singing) and Miles Davis. My fav composer is Gershwin and I can listen to his stuff all day.

I love Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. I like a bit of classical although I am no buff on the subject. I like the Enigma Variations by Elgar.

I like all sorts of music, but mainly lean towards indie and rock.

Another jazz fan here too (amongst other things!).

For me, Harry Connick Jr was my introduction to jazz piano, but not all of his albums are jazz piano - he's branched out into other genres at times, and he sings as well, so go for the early recordings when he was a child/teenager for just piano pieces.

Oscar Peterson is a absolute legend on piano, so he would definitely be worth looking into.

If you don't mind a vocal accompaniment to the piano, one of my other favourites is Blossom Dearie who was unique but simply wonderful in my book, and Nina Simone is an incredible piano player as well.

If you want something less traditional and more modern, you could try The Bad Plus, who are a trio who compose their own pieces as well as rework some modern pop/rock songs.

My absolute favourite singers are Ella Fitzgerald, who is simply the best singer I've ever had the pleasure to listen to (the only thing that makes me wish I'd be born earlier so I could have heard her live), and Claire Martin who is stunning both recorded and live.

Thank you so much! I will look into all of these. :)

There is nothing boring about your favourites Sue! I don't really know much about classical music, so every now and again, I treat myself to a new CD - just pick one out from a composer I don't have and see how I get on! It's been pretty good so far, but I've reverted to type and just bought a book to try and find out more :)

My favourite composers at the moment are Chopin, Debussey, Mozart and Beethoven. I really like piano pieces, so I've been trying to find some more to add to that collection, and I think Rachmaninoff will fit the bill nicely, so that may be my next foray into the classical section :D

I also like choral works, my favourites being William Byrd's Mass for 5 Voices, and words just fail me as to how good it is.

I'm a big fan of jazz pianists like Ahmad Jamal, Vince Guaraldi, Bill Evans and my fave, Dave Brubeck. I especially love them as part of a trio or quartet :).

I love Ella too, Chesilbeach. She's my mom's faves as well, and always loves to tell me stories of when she saw her perform back in the 50's. I think I could listen to her version of 'Skylark' over and over and never get tired. But any Johnny Mercer that Ella sings is heavenly :D.

I think that something by Oscar Petersen would be good, Libri. Any one of his collections are still on sale. If you like your jazz slightly "bluesier" then maybe try someone like Dudley Moore - he was such a good pianist and I know you can still get his music. Diane Krall is also an excellent pianist and I love her new CD.

There is nothing boring about your favourites Sue! I don't really know much about classical music, so every now and again, I treat myself to a new CD - just pick one out from a composer I don't have and see how I get on! It's been pretty good so far, but I've reverted to type and just bought a book to try and find out more :)

My favourite composers at the moment are Chopin, Debussey, Mozart and Beethoven. I really like piano pieces, so I've been trying to find some more to add to that collection, and I think Rachmaninoff will fit the bill nicely, so that may be my next foray into the classical section :D

I also like choral works, my favourites being William Byrd's Mass for 5 Voices, and words just fail me as to how good it is.

Great choices there Chesilbeach. My favourite Rach is 2nd and 3rd Piano concertos. They can reduce me to tears as he wrote with such passion. Debussy I like because of the imagery - I imagine poppy and Lavender fields in France!:) Same with Eric Satie.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the recommendations.

I just purchased Night Train by the Oscar Peterson Trio, Time Out by the Dave Brubeck Quartet, and Midwinter Graces, the new Christmas CD by Tori Amos. They won't arrive until mid-November, but I got the free shipping on amazon.com. :)

Looking forward to expanding my jazz listening experiences. :D

Do you have any fave jazz artists, Katrina? A friend of mine and her husband just went and saw Celtic Women live and they loved it :D.

I am all about Chet Baker today. 'Chet Baker Sings' has been on repeat, and when I'm done with that I'll pop the New Moon soundtrack back in...

Their stuff is really varied and ear tingly!

I *love* that expression! :D

I've had the album Waking Hours by Del Amitri on in the car for the last few days. I haven't listened to it for about 2 years so I'm enjoying revisiting it. :D

I try and keep an open mind and will give anything a listen, but my favourite bands are:

The Smiths/Morrissey

Siouxsie and the Banshees

Stiff Little Fingers

The Cure

Echo and the Bunnymen

David Bowie

More modern stuff I quite like at the moment are things like

Blood Red Shoes

Future of the Left

Gallows

Belle and Sebastian

I've had the album Waking Hours by Del Amitri on in the car for the last few days. I haven't listened to it for about 2 years so I'm enjoying revisiting it. :)

I only know one song by them. Thank you for reminding me to check out more of their material.

• 1 month later...

I haven't heard of most of the bands or artists people have mentioned! Might have a listen to a few of them.

I'm mostly an RnB, Pop, Hip Hop fan, but there are bands/artists that don't fit into these categories, such as Kings of Leon, James Morrison, Imogen Heap, Hope, Nickelback, Placebo, Sia, Snow Patrol, Coldplay.

My RnB/Pop/Hip Hop faves are:

Akon

Beyonce

Black eyed peas

Pussycat dolls

Jls

Jay Sean

Kano

Rihanna

Taio Cruz

N Dubz

Tinchy Stryder