The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

Kate

Synopsis:

A dramatic novel of passion, politics and betrayal from the author of The Other Boleyn Girl, in which Mary, Queen of Scots, fights to regain her kingdom whilst under the guard of Queen Elizabeth's trusted accomplice, Bess of Hardwick Mary is Queen of Scotland but she has been forced to flee her land and take refuge in an England that is ruled by her cousin Elizabeth. But England, precarious in its Protestant state, set against the mighty powers of Spain, France and Rome, doesn't need a charismatic Catholic figurehead at large. So Elizabeth's chief advisor, Cecil, devises a plan in which Mary will live under guard with his trusted accomplice: Bess of Hardwick. Bess is a self-made woman, a shrewd survivor. She is newly married to her fourth and most distinguished husband, the Earl of Shrewsbury. But what marriage can withstand the charms of Mary? Or the threat of rebellion that she always carries? Mary must wait in her privileged imprisonment for the return to Scotland and her infant son; but waiting is not the same as doing nothing!With her characteristic combination of superb storytelling and authentic historical background, Philippa Gregory brings to life this period of great change in her final novel in the Tudor series.

I loved this book. I listened to it as an audiobook, and found as many chances as possible to lose myself in Tudor England.

I loved the characters. There was a usual mix of those I adored and admired, and those I disliked, but also admired. My favourite character was Queen Mary. Her pride and determination were admirable and she made me laugh with many of her antics. I also loved Anthony the little page boy, who at 8 acted like a man, I thought he was adorable.

The story was oozing with history and adventure. There was love, disputes between religions and the issue of family. Wealth played an important part in the story just as it would have done then; the more you had, the higher rank in society you held. And all the women grasped that and fought for that.

I don't think I have anything bad to say about this book. I was gripped from the start and was not let down, even though as a historical novel the ending is known. However, it saddened me as I had grown to love Mary and Shrewsbury.

This was a really good book.

10/10

• 8 months later...

From all the Tudor books I have read, this is the least one I liked. Although obviously the ending cannot be changed, I hated the fact that it was all set during Queen Mary's imprisonment in England.

In fact the story is about various plots that Queen Mary's supporters hatched during her time in England, to try and restore her to her throne in Scotland.

I felt that this book lacked the adventurous spirit that the other books seemed to have, and I kept waiting for a climax of some sort - obviously the ending was very anti-climactic, although that is something that cannot be changed. I also felt sorry for Queen Mary - she never got a break, and she found a very hard opponent in Cecil.

The book is narrated from different points of views - of Bess - the Countess of Hardwick, George her husband, the Earl of Shrewsbury, and of course Queen Mary of Scots herself, who is the grandchild of Henry V111 's sister.

From all the Tudor books I have read, this is the least one I liked. Although obviously the ending cannot be changed, I hated the fact that it was all set during Queen Mary's imprisonment in England.

In fact the story is about various plots that Queen Mary's supporters hatched during her time in England, to try and restore her to her throne in Scotland.

I felt that this book lacked the adventurous spirit that the other books seemed to have, and I kept waiting for a climax of some sort - obviously the ending was very anti-climactic, although that is something that cannot be changed. I also felt sorry for Queen Mary - she never got a break, and she found a very hard opponent in Cecil.

The book is narrated from different points of views - of Bess - the Countess of Hardwick, George her husband, the Earl of Shrewsbury, and of course Queen Mary of Scots herself, who is the grandchild of Henry V111 's sister.

I agree with this. I have read all of PG's Tudor books and this was my least favourite. I found it quite slow in parts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I usually love Philippa Gregory's books and was highly disappointed by The Other Queen (put it down before I was even half way through) - so I was extra pleased with this one, a definte return to form here, can't wait for the next!

I usually love Philippa Gregory's books and was highly disappointed by The Other Queen (put it down before I was even half way through) - so I was extra pleased with this one, a definte return to form here, can't wait for the next!

I agree. I forced my way through The Other Queen because it seemed rushed. I did read it fo rthe history though and glad that I did. She is certainly back on top form with The White Queen :welcome2:

I completely agree with you. I really enjoyed 'The Other Boleyn Girl' and 'The Queen's Fool' but I couldn't finish 'The Other Queen'. I shall have to give the new book a try after your recommendation.

• 3 months later...

I persevered with this, but IMHO, this wasn't my favourite PG. Mary Queen of Scots, while at time had spirit, I also found her quite boring. Whilst the setting and circumstances for the book should be exciting, I didn't feel excited by it. Lack of pace? Perhaps. Or maybe MQoS's one dimensional character. I don't know, but it left no lasting imprint on me.

LITT

gosh, so glad I read this thread, I thought it was me! I have adored all of Phillipa Gregory's previous books, particularly this Tudor series, but I really didnt like The Other Queen at all. I persevered with it because I kept believing it would draw me in, but it didnt. I couldnt get to like any of the characters at all. I was glad to finish it, to be honest. But I will read the White Queen and hope it will be so much better.

gosh, so glad I read this thread, I thought it was me! I have adored all of Phillipa Gregory's previous books, particularly this Tudor series, but I really didnt like The Other Queen at all. I persevered with it because I kept believing it would draw me in, but it didnt. I couldnt get to like any of the characters at all. I was glad to finish it, to be honest. But I will read the White Queen and hope it will be so much better.

Philippa Gregory is back to her usual glory with The White Queen.

• 5 weeks later...

I tried to read The Other Queen a while back but found it hard going, which disappointed me as I went out and bought it straight after enjoying The Other Boleyn Girl. I'm going to try again once I have got through my current TBRs. I love Tudor England - it's so nice losing myself in another century.