Sarah Waters

Guest jake

Has anyone read any of this author's books? I've picked up Fingersmith a few times and have decided I will buy it this weekend.

That and Tipping the Velvet were made into TV series' but I didn't watch them.

• 4 years later...

I've read Affinity, The Night Watch, Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith. I thought they were all excellent - full of atmosphere with a terrific storyline. I have The Little Stranger on my tbr, and must get around to it soon.

I definitely recommend her books!

I have read Fingersmith, and watched the TV adaption of that, plus Tipping the Velvet and Affinity.

I have TTV and The Night watch in my TBR pile.

Going by Fingersmith, I feel that the book of TTV will be even better than the TV show.

She is a good writer you will not be disappointed.

Ruth and Vodkafan, do you have particular favourite that you would recommend? I'm going to keep an eye out for her (or rather, her books). :lol:

Well, as I said I have only READ Fingersmith, which was awesome. But I can't tell you anything about it without giving the surprises away. But I have a feeling that TTV is going to be even better, because the DVD was so good. You can't help but identify with the main character. (And I'm a man!) I would read them all!

Kylie, I've only read Fingersmith but I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone! After reading it I bought Tipping the Velvet and Affinity but haven't gotten around to reading them yet. Waters has such a beautiful writing style that I'm sure I'll enjoy all of her books and intend to read them all at some point :lol:

Ruth and Vodkafan, do you have particular favourite that you would recommend? I'm going to keep an eye out for her (or rather, her books). :motz:

Probably Affinity or The Night Watch. I thought both of these were FANTASTIC!! But Tipping the Velvet and Fingersmith are also great reads.:lol:

I love Sarah Waters. I've read Fingersmith, The Little Stranger and The Night Watch. I also have Tipping The Velvet on my book shelf. I really do love her writing style and the way she is able to create characters that I really care about.

!I've read Fingersmith and The Night Watch and loved them! Very engrossing books, with great plots and believable characters.

I keep picking up The Little Stranger in my local bookshop.... but putting it down again because it looks like it'd scare the bejeezers out of me!! :lol:

I have read Tipping the Velvet, Fingersmith and Affinity.

I would recommend all of them. Sarah Waters has such an amazing writing style. the books are atmospheric and she keeps you guessing right to the end.

great reads all of them.

Thanks Ooshie, that does actually help! I'm dying to read it but I scare easily when it comes to ghosts and the paranormal! You wouldn't think I'm a 32 year old school teacher!! :tong: But if it's more atmosphere than fear it creates then I'll give it a go!

I would highly recommend Fingersmith - I really enjoyed it, my favourite book this year so far!

The devil is in the detail and Sarah Waters nails it ~ I love her writing style and the pace of the story is spot on. I cant say much about it the plot without spoiling it but suffice to say I think anyone interested should give it a go.

I am now coveting the rest of her back catalogue despite promising myself not to buy any more books until Mount TBR is down by at least 25. Considering a TBR cull to make room.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with everyone else about Fingersmith, a good read & very easy to get into. I also read Affinity but didn't like it as much as i worked out what was going to happen before the end & i've just started Night Watch so good to read that other people enjoyed it.

I have only read The Little Stranger and I enjoyed it very much. There is a suggestion of menace rather than anything really scarey in the book. And the story gives you a lot to think about as it covers issues such as class and social changes in britain after the war. The ending is also left open to interpretation.

I look forward to reading more by Sarah Waters.

• 10 months later...

I've read all Sarah Waters except 'Affinity'...just waiting for it to pop up in a charity shop! She is an addictive read definately. Each book is so well written. I particularly like the unlinear way she writes 'The Nightwatch' and brings everything together at the end. I read 'Tipping the Velvet' first as I had seen some of the television series. Its a good long read with not so much as one dull page. The same can be said of all her work I think!

• 3 years later...

Sarah Waters will be publishing a new book this coming autumn!

http://www.virago.co.uk/new-sarah-waters-novel-for-autumn-2014/

"Virago is delighted to announce the new Sarah Waters novel which will be published in autumn 2014.

The extraordinary bestselling author, who wrote three astonishing Victorian novels before moving to the 1940s with The Night Watch and The Little Stranger, now turns to the 1920s.

A more detailed description of the book:

It is 1922, and London is tense. Ex-servicemen are disillusioned, the out-of-work and the hungry are demanding change. And in South London, in a genteel Camberwell villa, a large silent house now bereft of brothers, husband and even servants,  life is about to be transformed, as impoverished widow Mrs Wray and her spinster daughter, Frances, are obliged to take in lodgers.

For with the arrival of Lilian and Leonard Barber, a modern young couple of the ‘clerk class’, the routines of the house will be shaken up in unexpected ways. And as passions mount and frustration gathers, no one can foresee just how far, and how devastatingly, the disturbances will reach…

Says Lennie Goodings, `It is vintage Sarah Waters in every way – beautifully described with excruciating tension, real tenderness, believable characters, and surprises; it is above all, a wonderful, compelling story.’

It's going to take me ages to get around to reading a new novel from an author as I have to wait until I see it in a charity shop or drops down to a reasonable price on kindle. Still haven't found  A Casual Vacancy from JK Rowling yet and that came out ages ago . But good to see Ms. Waters has written something new.

I only read 'Affinity' and was pleasantly surprised. It took a different route to the ending than I had imagined. I enjoyed it from the first page to the last sentence.

I would heartily recommend Fingersmith! :)

It's going to take me ages to get around to reading a new novel from an author as I have to wait until I see it in a charity shop or drops down to a reasonable price on kindle. Still haven't found  A Casual Vacancy from JK Rowling yet and that came out ages ago . But good to see Ms. Waters has written something new.

Sorry if I've known and forgotten, but how about getting a copy from the library?