Philip Pullman

Michelle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

loved the Philip Pullman books, and I actually enjoyed the exploration of religion, as opposed to belief.

I am a believer with no religion, as I have not found an organised religion that fits with what I have come to believe, (I come from a Baptist/Jewish heritage - very confusing!) and didn't find it disturbed my beliefs very much at all, I found it intriguing and it made me think more about belief and what it means to me, which is a good thing I think!

The books are many layered and I can re read them and find things I missed before, which is always worthwhile.

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Philip Pullman books were incredibly well written! I bought them originally for my younger brother to read. Which he did and then insisted I read them too. And I am glad he did! I loved them. A fantastic series.

• 10 months later...

I loved the His Dark Materials trilogy. I found them exceptionally well-written for children's books, dealing with major themes. The "anti organised religion" theme worked well for me personally. The first book was the best, then the second. I liked the last one the least for some reason, maybe because I hated the ending (too sad for me!) :oops:

I did not enjoy the small book Lyra's Oxford - I found it an expensive waste of time. It took the story nowhere new IMO. I was expecting much more of it.

I have read a couple of his Sally Lockhart novels, set in Victorian London, which are completely different but also very good. I own the other two but have yet to find the time to read them. :D

I have also read a couple of his other books, which I found extremely disappointing. I think one was called The Broken Bridge(?). To be honest, they read like they'd been written by another person entirely. Perhaps they just go to show how Pullman has improved as a writer, as I think they were his early works.

I read the first one when I was 13 and it had not long been published. I then had an agonising wait until I was sitting my A levels when the second one was published. Followed by another agonising wait until the 3rd was published, just as I was revising for my 2nd year exams at university. I think my exams may have suffered....

• 4 weeks later...

I have only read the first one.....I didn't think I wanted to go through them one after the other....although now if I went back to them I'm not sure I would remember much about it :)

• 3 months later...

I read all three a few years back. Really enjoyed the first two in the set, thought they were excellent, but the third one seemed to go just that bit too far. I didn't really enjoy the last book at all, which was a shame because the first two were great.

I read these a few months ago. I really enjoyed the first two, whizzed throught them in no time but really struggled with the last one. I found it really hard to concentrate and kept losing where i was at. iIam looking forward to seeing the movie though.

Exactly! That's why I have the horrible feeling that this film is going to be the worst book adaptation ever. :)

I think I read something about they didn't want to insult religious people in America, but I might be wrong.

Oh right. May go and see that when it's out. Surely, though, if they're turning all three of the books into one film, they're gonna have to miss out quite a bit.

They are making 3 films - one for each book. Filming is happening of the first one at the moment.

I think I read something about they didn't want to insult religious people in America, but I might be wrong.

I heard the same thing, but I equally don't think they can miss it out. I guess it will have the aspects of it but without the direct references to religion, heaven and gods.

• 7 months later...

Hey,

I have just finished a trilogy by Phillip Pullman called 'His Dark Materials.' I recommend it strongly. It appeals to all ages, and is very imaginative. I couldn't put them down, and neither could my brother! The first book is called 'Northern Lights.' I have learnt that the film is coming out soon so hurry :). If there is anyone else that has read this book, and know any others that I might enjoy please say.

Happy Reading :hyper::readingtwo:

Jade

• 2 weeks later...

The film is called the Golden Compass, and although I love the books, I won't be going to see it. In fact, because I love the books so much, I don't want to spoil it.

I tried to listen to the audio version of the Subtle Knife while I was waiting for the book, but it was just so wrong I had to turn it off and just wait. It was spoiling it.

The film is called the Golden Compass, and although I love the books, I won't be going to see it. In fact, because I love the books so much, I don't want to spoil it.

I know exactly what you mean! I'm curious, but I don't want the films to infect my idea of the books.

Also, I'm so annoyed that the producers wouldn't even 'do' a Harry Potter* and change the title back to Northern Lights for the UK release. Why do we have to put up with the naff-sounding US title?!

*Just in case anyone isn't aware of this, Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone was changed to Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone in America. But when the film was released, they kept the UK title for the UK release and the American one kept it's 'Sorcerer' tag.

Northern Lights is coming up fast on my to-be-read list. It looks promising and if all goes well I'll definitely be looking into the rest of the series. Whenever I find out that a book is being adapted to a film that I have an interest in seeing I immediately run to the library to check out the book. I cannot help myself--I have to read the book before I watch the film because I don't want to spoil the book by watching the movie first. I like to get my own ideas about the way everything looks before viewing someone else's interpretation of the author's words.

Also, I'm so annoyed that the producers wouldn't even 'do' a Harry Potter* and change the title back to Northern Lights for the UK release. Why do we have to put up with the naff-sounding US title?!

I'm not fond of the US title either--I think the original title sounds much better. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why many publishers so often feel the need to change the titles of books when they go overseas?