Philip Pullman

Michelle

I read His Dark Materials when I was a child and loved it straight away. Oddly enough, I never noticed the religious vibes until I reread it a few years later. I think I used to be very absorbed in the story in books when I was younger, and didn't really look at the bigger picture.

As a kid, the idea of daemons drew me into the world. The idea of having a part of you that existed outside of your body, something you could converse with was magical to me.

I also agree with what someone said earlier, I liked the fact that the ending wasn't the typical "we all live happily ever after" scenario.

Also, the books aren't too dense (as is the case with some of the fantasy series out there) so I feel I can go back to them whenever I want and start all over again.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all three books on my TBR. I've seen the film, which I quite liked. It inspired me to buy the books.

You'll love them, they missed so many good bits out of the film! :smile:

I read His Dark Materials when I was a child and loved it straight away. Oddly enough, I never noticed the religious vibes until I reread it a few years later. I think I used to be very absorbed in the story in books when I was younger, and didn't really look at the bigger picture.

I also didn't get the anti-religious theme. I was quite surprised when I heard people talking about it to be honest. There's a part, I think it's in the third book, where it describes all the particles of someone who has died going back into the earth to make rain and flowers. I thought that was beautiful, and not at all anti-religious. And isn't the daemon basically like a soul? Maybe I need to read them again, but I really don't see the anti-religion.