Philip Pullman

Michelle

I have got the Northern Lights on my TBR list. I promised I wouldn't watch the film until I had read the book. I have heard mixed reviews that the film is a bit pants, I am not sure people who haven't read the books are completely understanding what is going on.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't stand film adaptations that make significant changes to the book they're based on. I know things have to be left out due to length etc, but changing things... :lol:

I haven't seen the film, but reading this thread has made me decide that I want to re-read the trilogy this year. It must be a good few years since I read it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think they did an okay job on adapting it although it seems quite a bit of the anti religion parts were taken out although not all. Plus they shifted around the timeline a bit. But in terms of staying true to the feel of the story i think they got it.

I love His Dark Materials especially The Amber Spyglass but haven't read any of the others, so i think a couple will be added to my pile. Can anyone recommend which of non Dark materials i should start with?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I hated the movie The Golden Compass, it was nothing compared to the book.

I agree with you Margo, the movie didn't compare with the book. Their interpretation of the book was lacking. I read the trilogy a while back and only the first two books stick with me the last one (the Amber Spyglass) not so much.

Has anyone read any of his other works?

• 9 months later...

I have read His Dark Materials trilogy many times now, and each one of the books I enjoyed thoroughly! I love Lyra, and all the different characters in each of the book. I love also how Lyra

Can't read the aleithometer at the end of the series.

. Phillip Pullman is an amazing author, and I would say that trilogy is a must read for everyone. I'm considering reading some of his other works as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the trilogy last year and I enjoyed the first book and adored the second but by the time I'd finished the third, I just felt like Philip Pullman had some huge vendetta toward religion....just sorta spoiled it for me personally but other than the ending I really enjoyed the books

I read his first of the trilogy then was kicked out by my ex so as soon as I can get to her shed and recover them I will read the other two books

;) Just buy them or borrow them from the library, it'd be less hassle!

I love the Dark Materials Trilogy, and although I completely understand the discomfort

by the perceived attack on religion, I felt it as more of an attack on too much power

held within established religion. The ambition and greed in trusted 'others' had

rendered the truly faithful and worthy powerless, including the ultimate Authority.

I felt is was an ingenius and brave trilogy that used a familiar feeling framework to tell

a new and compelling story.

Aside from those aspects, I loved the manifested daemons, the gyptians and the

witches. And I will always feel I know Lee Scoresby!

I felt it as more of an attack on too much power

held within established religion. The ambition and greed in trusted 'others' had

rendered the truly faithful and worthy powerless, including the ultimate Authority.

Thats exactly what it was. Which is why I don't understand why there were book burnings and so on - Phillip was only expressing an idea, and a valid one at that, whether you're religious or not.

And I will always feel I know Lee Scoresby!

In the movie. The movie sucked *ss. BUT. My god was I glad to see Sam Elliott, a.k.a Wade Garett in Roadhouse. If I were older and he had that long hair. By god. ;)

Actually thinking about it, he's barely aged in 20 years. More white than grey now, but still.

His Dark Materials is one of my favourite books. I like Northern Lights best and probably the Amber Spyglass the lease but love them all. I read Once Upon a Time in the North at Christmas too which was really good, just a bit too short

Nessicle, that was just how I felt, and it certainly spoilt my experience.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one :D I think it was the last book that ruined it for me because the first two were very good, especially the second one (the film was the biggest let down though - like they'd picked parts of the book and shoved a film together in complete disarray lol)

• 3 weeks later...