Philip Pullman

Michelle

I'm not fond of the US title either--I think the original title sounds much better. Out of curiosity, does anyone know why many publishers so often feel the need to change the titles of books when they go overseas?

The only thing I can think of is that they (the overseas publishers) must have a very patronising attitude to their own readers! I can understand for some titles, but how does The Golden Compass make more sense than Northern Lights?

Btw, do The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass have different titles in the US?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw, do The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass have different titles in the US?

Nope, they kept those titles--just changed the first one. Now that I think of it all of the titles are the name of an object except for Northern Lights. Maybe that's why they changed it to The Golden Compass? In order to tie all three titles together? I dunno, just a theory. Who knows the actual reason.

'His Dark Materials' was dramatised at the South Bank about 2 years ago - it was so popular it had a second run for about 6 months the following year. It was a 6 hour production divided into two 3 hour chunks. I took along my eldest of 12 at the time and we just loved it. Look out for it if it comes back again - highly recommended. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this trilogy a few years ago. I still remember most of it now and for me that usually means it's a good book. The third book is quite extreme on the religious side, but luckily I'm not so religious. I would go to see the movie just out of curiosity.

:thud: Ratna

I've just bought the first one, Northern Lights in a beautiful collectors edition. I wanted to buy all three but Johnny wouldn't let me (they would have come to £30 and I don't even know if I like them yet!) - oh I'm a sucker for a collectors edition, it makes me go cold to think that I might not get the other two books to match!!!

I'll let you know my thoughts when I've finished it! It's meant to be masterpiece - can't believe I haven't read them before now!

I like the collector's editions too. I used to buy two or three and stick one on eBay to pay for mine. :D

My favourite is my Life of Pi.

I've just bought the first one, Northern Lights in a beautiful collectors edition. I wanted to buy all three but Johnny wouldn't let me (they would have come to

• 1 month later...

Hopefully you'll like it better this time round, Janet! Northern Lights is probably my favourite of the three (The Amber Spyglass is my least fave).

• 2 weeks later...

i just finished the amber spy glass but i found it really hard to read. Philip Pullman is a great author and the books are awesom but the ending of "the Amber Spyglass" was so sad i hate sad endings lol

he dosnt have the class of JK or the skill of C.S.Lewis in my opinion but there is no doubting his talent as an author

[Admin Edit - this has been moved from another thread, to keep discussions in one place]:

I just finished reading this and i was hoping to get other peoples opinions on the ending of it because i couldnt help but think that it was one of the saddest ending to a book i have read in a very long time. I wont spoil it for the people who havnt read it but it really rocks you to the core. i guess im just a sucker for happy endings

Yeah it is a really sad ending. Tears also came to my eyes when

She had to leave Pantalaimon (sp?) on the shore when she went to that dead land. It's just the way it was described, I could almost feel my daemon being taken away! :lol: It's really sad :D

I LOVE these books!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I read nearly a third of Northern Lights several years ago but gave up because I just found it dull!

However, I have to read it as part of my A2 English Lit course so I'm hoping I'll like it more second time around! :lol:

Hopefully you'll like it better this time round, Janet! Northern Lights is probably my favourite of the three (The Amber Spyglass is my least fave).

Well, I've just finished it and it only took me 4 days (and considering we spent all of Saturday and Sunday doing other things that's good for me - I normally take at least a week to finish a book) and I really enjoyed it this time round, thankfully. :D

We have to compare it to Huckleberry Finn as our A2 English Lit coursework. I'm not sure which aspect of it I'm going to use as my main discussion point. Perhaps friendship or childhood. I don't think I'll go for the religion aspect of it.

Hmm... Not really, although there was a fairly gruesome moment in a fight scene during the first book that scared the beejezus out of me! ;) (It was unexpected!)

Oh gosh, me too! I'm not good at gore and as you said, it came completely out of the blue!

• 1 month later...

I read The Golden Compass at the beginning of last year. I didn't know if I would like it but by the time I was half way through it I realised that I had better order the other two pretty sharpish. I loved them all. They gave me the chance to get into a world that is so different to our own. There's not many books that stop me from putting them down once I start them but these definitely did!!!!!