Philip Pullman

Michelle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah ): I haven't seen the film, i don't really plan to. It would be interesting, of course, to see the director's interpretation of the world and events. I enjoy some aspects of the Harry Potter films, i think i'd like to leave Lyra's story as i see it in my imagination though xD

• 1 year later...

I am toying with the idea of plunging back into the His Dark Materials trilogy consisting of;

Northern Lights

The Subtle Knife

The Amber Spyglass

I have forgotten a lot of what was going on after Northern Lights, which is one of my favourite books, so I owe it to them to have another read through this wonderful tale :)

I read The Dark Materials Trilogy last summer and my head was filled with it. An extremely compelling read and I would recommend to anyone. How wonderful to trip from one world to the next. In terms of the anti-religion theme, I quite enjoyed exploring that side of things and certainly provided food for thought. Most eye opening.

LITT

I am toying with the idea of plunging back into the His Dark Materials trilogy consisting of;

Northern Lights

The Subtle Knife

The Amber Spyglass

I have forgotten a lot of what was going on after Northern Lights, which is one of my favourite books, so I owe it to them to have another read through this wonderful tale :)

Do it! :roll:

I'll have to try and fit it in! It ain't gonna be started this week as I have too much on the plan until Sat, so maybe then, if I can finish another book this week in addition to everything :)

Have you read the Sally Lockhart novels, i picked up The Ruby in the Smoke for 25p in a book sale read it and promptly ordered the others from Amazon, they were really good and for onece the two tv adaptations stayed more or less faithful to the books, wish they would do the other two as well.

Have you read the Sally Lockhart novels, i picked up The Ruby in the Smoke for 25p in a book sale read it and promptly ordered the others from Amazon, they were really good and for onece the two tv adaptations stayed more or less faithful to the books, wish they would do the other two as well.

I'm just about finished The ruby in the smoke, it been a fab read. Are the other books in the series as good?

I'm just about finished The ruby in the smoke, it been a fab read. Are the other books in the series as good?

They are all excellent, I think the last The Tin Princess was my least favourite but still good.

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone :)

I've recently taken over the biggest His Dark Materials and Philip Pullman website on the internets, and we could do with some new members/visitors! The site is a place for fans to get up-to-date news, reviews and information, discuss the books, and create a community; we have a forum and chat and it would good to see some Pullman fans from bcf over there!

So if anyone's interested, get over to BridgeToTheStars.net, we're relaunching and rebuilding the website at the moment, so some of the website is in construction, but we have some really exciting things planned so hopefully some people might be interested :blush:

I enjoyed these books immensely. Even with the religious views as they were I found the story line rather intriguing. A great foundation with support and ending. I particularly enjoyed the ending.

I am personally a fan of the guy not getting the girl and living happily ever after

I really like the alternate worlds as well during the series, most of which do not take place until the second book (The Subtle Knife). I also appreciate the heroism of Lyra

Willing to start at the beginning after everything she is put through

, and think of her as the defining character of change.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to have to go back and re-read His Dark Materials. Must be over 8 years ago that I read them, and I'm not even sure I finished the last book. Remember loving the first 2 though.

3 more books to add to my ever growing 'to-read' list. :/

My girlfriend was going through a stage of 'readers block' as I like to call it when she hasn't read a large book in a while and she wants a smaller, easier to read book to ease her back into more strenuous reading. I offered her my copy of Clockwork by Phillip Pullman - it is about 90-100 pages long, illustrated and a lovely small story.

Needless to say she devoured it in one night and she is now back into the flow of reading.

Me, myself, never stopped.