A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Kell

Anyone who would like to get hold of a copy of this book and join in the circle - there are quite a few copies available at

Green Metropolis

Also available at Amazon - via the banner at the top right hand corner please! :D

The Reading Circle choice for December is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens:

Ebenezer Scrooge is a miserly old skinflint who hates everyone, especially children, but at Christmas three ghosts come to visit him, and scare him into mending his ways. He finds, as he celebrates with Bob Cratchit, Tiny Tim and family, that geniality brings its own reward.

Some general questions to consider:

1. Who was your favourite character and why?

2. Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

3. Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

4. Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

5. Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

Some more specific questions to consider:

6. What do you think Dickens was trying to say about greed and charity, economic disparity, accountability, redemption and forgiveness?

7. What other choices could Scrooge have made early in life? How would they have changed the man he grew up to be?

8. What commentary does this play make on poverty versus wealth?

9. What do you think is the true meaning of the holidays?

10. Do we, as a society, need to change the way we feel about the importance of money?

11. Dickens lived in the 19th century. Do you think the message of this story still applies today?

12. What is the relationship between wealth and happiness?

13. Was the reversal of attitude in Scrooge a realistic one? In what way?

14. How does money, power, or class affect the individual’s values and beliefs?

15. Is there a relationship between how the characters in A Christmas Carol are affected by money and power and how we are currently affected in contemporary society?

16. What economic influences are affecting the characters?

17. What facts are communicated about life in an urban setting in this story? How are the characters affected by this setting?

18. What were the laws in England during this time regarding employees and employers and the rights of each? Compare and contrast to current British law.

19. Why are we ready to accept the element of the supernatural in this story? What makes this convention work in this text where it may seem false in others?

20. What is the overall message that the author wants the reader to be left with?

(You do not have to answer all, or indeed, any, of these questions, they are meant only as points for you to perhaps mull over as you read, and provoke more discussion. Please feel free to ask and answer any questions that come up as you read.)

Edited by Kell

• 2 weeks later...

This is my review of the book, which I loved!

Synopsis from Amazon:

Ebenezer Scrooge, whose name is now synonymous with greed and parsimony, believes Christmas to be 'humbug'. Refusing to donate any of his fortune to the poor, he comforts himself by saying, 'I don't make merry myself at Christmas, and I can't afford to make idle people merry.' But then the ghost of his old partner, Jacob Marley, returns from the grave to haunt him. Dragging a long and heavy chain, representing his mant sins, Marley sends down the three spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future to warn scrooge against a similar fate...

This is an extremely well known story, and there have been many adaptations of the book, however, I would heartily recommend people read the book. It is a thoroughly enjoyable book, which I loved right from the beginning. Dickens is engaging, and writes in such a descriptive way I felt like I was there with Scrooge on his journey. Dickens looks at family, Christmas, community, poverty, wealth and personality, but in a light-hearted and engaging way. However, a message is conveyed throughout the book - don't be miserable, selfish, rude and tight-fisted towards those in need.

My favourite character was probably Fred, Scrooge's nephew. He was full of life, able to stand up to Scrooge, and embraced him as a family member even though Scrooge did not want to be accepted.

There is so much that can be said of this book, many issues raised, a whole life looked at and of course Dickens as a writer. I think he tactfully looks at poverty vs. the rich, and makes a point that people with money should be sharing, and that life would be better for those in need, and those in ill-health if charity was given. My favourite period in Scrooge's life was probably when he was a young man, an apprentice, full of life and fun. Had he kept on that road, his life would have been full of family, community and happiness. And as for Dickens, he is wonderful writer and I can find no faults with this book, I loved it.

10/10

This was read on classic fm tonight, but I missed most of it as it was on at dinner time whe I was busy with the girls.

I'm reading this, but with christmas prep, band jobs and what not I am not finding much time to read at the moment. I want this place looking decent for the guests on Wednesday.

• 3 months later...