Philippa Gregory

Michelle

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I read the Little House a few weeks back. It's not a bad story actually, I quite enjoyed it. It makes a nice change from the historical books of hers that I read.

Just managed to get The Constant Princess on the market for 50p :(

I've just had a browse at her site, thinking I hadn't read any of her books, but I have read The Little House. I think I read it about five or six years ago. I didn't realise it was by the same author! I thought Ms Gregory only wrote historical novels.

I don't normally 'do' historical novels, but I shall keep my eye out in the charity shops for her. I know my Mum read, and enjoyed, A Respectable Trade.

I've only read Perfectly Correct, and that is much more Chick-Lit than Gregory's other, historical fiction.

It was a good fun read though, with lots of amusing observations in it (if I am remembering right).

I keep thinking about getting hold of The Constant Princess, but somehow have never got around to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this on Amazons pre-release list..... due out 28th August :)

The Boleyn Inheritance

Synopsis

From the bestselling author of "The Other Boleyn Girl" comes a wonderfully atmospheric evocation of the court of Henry VIII, and the one woman who destroyed two of his queens. The year is 1539 and the court of Henry VIII is increasingly fearful at the moods of the ageing sick king. With only a baby in the cradle for an heir, Henry has to take another wife and the dangerous prize of the crown of England is won by Anne of Cleves. She has her own good reasons for agreeing to marry a man old enough to be her father, in a country where to her both language and habits are foreign. Although fascinated by the glamour of her new surroundings, she senses a trap closing around her. Catherine is confident that she can follow in the steps of her cousin Anne Boleyn to dazzle her way to the throne but her kinswoman Jane Boleyn, haunted by the past, knows that Anne's path led to Tower Green and to an adulterer's death. The story of these three young women, trying to make their own way through the most volatile court in Europe at a time of religious upheaval and political uncertainty is Philippa Gregory's most intense novel yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I've nearly finished The Wise Woman now, and although I managed to read it all the way through, I have to say I didn't really like it. Especially not after The Queens Fool and The Virgins Lover. I just couldn't empathise with the main character Alys and I think that detracts from the enjoyment of the book.

I had the same problem, Kat - I didn't think it was anywhere near as good & I really felt nothing in particular for Alys - didn't like her enough to sympathise, didn't dilike her enough to really hate her - it meant I wasn't all that interested in anything that happened to her.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently enjoying A Respectable Trade at the moment. Its set in the 1780s with a family business which imports rum and sugar with slaves as a sideline. The plot is upsetting in places as Gregory demonstrates how ignorant Britain was then. I found myself tearful at times with the treatment of the slaves especially a 2 yr old. :) This is one aspect of British history that cannot claim greatness - only shame. :shock: I am halfway through and pleased to say that her books remain as good as ever :)

I'm currently enjoying A Respectable Trade at the moment. Its set in the 1780s with a family business which imports rum and sugar with slaves as a sideline. The plot is upsetting in places as Gregory demonstrates how ignorant Britain was then. I found myself tearful at times with the treatment of the slaves especially a 2 yr old. :) This is one aspect of British history that cannot claim greatness - only shame. :shock: I am halfway through and pleased to say that her books remain as good as ever :)

Have you read Property by Val Martin, that is a real eye opener into the attitudes to slaves