Philippa Gregory

Michelle

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far I've only read The Other Boleyn Girl. I loved it & it was more than enough to encourage me to try another of hers. I'll be starting The Queen's Fool tonight in the tub & going by what a lot of people have been saying, I think I'll really enjoy this one too. I also really like the look of The Wise Woman - I think it'll be very interesting... I'll end up getting them all eventually, I know it - once I get hooked on an author like that, there's no stopping me!

The only ones I've not read are:

Fallen Skies, Perfectly Correct (which I have in my 'to read pile') and Bread and Chocolate.

I'm not really bothered about reading her childrens books.

Every book I've read by this woman has been brilliant. The only one that sticks out as not being quite as good at the rest was Zelda's Cut.

LOL, at this rate, following in the footsteps of a certain book by Karen J Fowler, we could have a Philippa Gregory Book Club. (In case nobody has a clue what I'm on about, check in the reviews section for her book The Jane Austen Book Club).

Whilst checking Amazon just now for my last post I noticed that Philippa has a new book out on September 4th entitled the Last Boleyn. This one is about Anne's cousin Jane.

This one will be added to my wish list as it's a month before my birthday!

I really enjoyed A Respectable Trade. Again, it's very easy to become so absorbed in her writing that you feel like you are there and it can be pretty scary. I went through feelings of guilt at how our ancestors treated people, disgust at what human beings had to endure, anger at narrowminded bigotry, love for a particular character...you name it....

Fantastic book.

I've just finished The Othe Boleyn Girl, and it may have overtaken Labyrinth as my book of the year so far! Her characters were great, and so well written. They appear well researched, and you really feel you've stepped back in history!

Guest Anonymous

I started TOBG on Sunday and I finished it yesterday, wow, I really enjoyed it!

Have now started The Queens Fool which is pretty good so far.

• 1 month later...

I've read 4 now & The Other Boleyn Girl is definitely my fave so far. I was a tad disappointed by The Wise Woman as it wasn't quite what i was expecting, but it was still a good read. 2nd place goes to The Queen's Fool & 3rd place to The Virgin's Lover...

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't so keen on The Wise Woman, but I think that was possibly because it wasn't based on an actual historical figure like the others I'd read by Gregory. The Constant Princess was a return to form though - I really enjoyed that - but I still think The Other Boleyn Girl is my favourite of hers to date.