#161 Kolinahr

Kolinahr

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Reading now?:Chrestomanci - Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
  • LocationUnited Arab Emirates

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:59 PM

I enjoy Murakami and have read a number of his books, and yet have a kind of peculiar amnesia when it comes to him, such that I've pretty well stopped buying his work. Every time I read one of his books it instantly disappears from my mind the moment I finish it. Even 1Q84, which I felt great enthusiasm due to some of its themes overlapping with profound changes in my life at the time of reading, has more or less completely vanished from my memory.  I suspect the phenomenon has something to do with the surreal quality of his works, the nebulous nature of his characters. I appreciate these in theory, but these characteristics fail to encode concrete impressions in memory. 

#162 MrCat

MrCat

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Reading now?:Of course

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:20 PM

I randomly discovered Murakami 5 years ago in a local library. I was browsing books at random and the simple cover and the description with words like "The Beatles" , "jazz" or "Jim Morrison" caught my attention. I have read some other books by him since then but he's a hit or miss. I love Hard Boiled Wonderland and the Edge of the World or 1Q84 but other works like A WIld Sheep Case were really meh. 

I am glad that I randomly stumbled on his works and I am working on reading all of his books eventually. Hopefully he will get a Nobel prize too but I highly doubt it since his subjects don't tick the right boxes for that prize. 

edit: Thread related. 

415867._SY540_.jpg

Edited by MrCat, 23 August 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#163 Kolinahr

Kolinahr

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Reading now?:Chrestomanci - Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones
  • LocationUnited Arab Emirates

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:24 PM

edit: Thread related. 

415867._SY540_.jpgdoe

Love this. Absolutely spot on. Like musicians, most writers cover the same territory again and again with small variations. It doesn't have be to be a bad thing as long as there is new material along with the old. I mean, even Homer did it.  :P

#164 SunnyShadows

SunnyShadows

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Reading now?:The Pier Falls - Mark Haddon

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:02 PM

I also enjoyed 'After Dark'. I like the mixture of realism and surrealism in Murakami's work, which is widely reflective of Japanese literature and media in general. Strangely, though I find Murakami's one of the most inspiring writers from a writing perspective, I find I'm rarely able to get through one of his books.

I tried to read 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronical' last year, and couldn't get through it. I enjoy the almost comforting way he makes mundane activities interesting, but sometimes the book would go on for ages with absolutely nothing happening. I didn't feel it really had much of a plot, and I gave up after reading about 200 pages.

I also find his female characters a bit lacking. I vaguely remember the protagonist of After Dark being an exception, but a lot of the women characters don't seem to do much or have much personality, and seem to only be there for the sex scenes. Not all are like that, but too many are. Sometimes I feel like Murakami's writing reads like a hormonal teenage boy's fanfiction. It's just a bit off-putting.

I might read another of his in the future, probably one of the shorter ones. I liked 'Kafka on the Shore' and 'After Dark' the best so far.

#165 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,028 posts
  • Reading now?:The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins

Posted 03 January 2017 - 08:48 PM

Sometimes I feel like Murakami's writing reads like a hormonal teenage boy's fanfiction. It's just a bit off-putting.

1Q84 was very much like this. There was a lot of sex, especially between women, and constant discussion of various body parts. No exaggeration, there was some sexual reference every 10 pages or so. :thud:

#166 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,717 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

1Q84 was very much like this. There was a lot of sex, especially between women, and constant discussion of various body parts. No exaggeration, there was some sexual reference every 10 pages or so. :thud:

Thanks, it's good to know I can expect this before going into it :).

#167 Brian.

Brian.

This too shall pass

• Supporter
  • 1,966 posts
  • Reading now?:Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  • LocationSE England

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:13 PM

Murakami has a new novel coming out at the end of February, it will be titled "Killing Commendatore" and will be spread across multiple volumes.

#168 bobblybear

bobblybear

Too many books!!

• Supporter
  • 5,028 posts
  • Reading now?:The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. I will keep an eye out for it, for sure.

#169 MrCat

MrCat

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Reading now?:Of course

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

Today is also Murakami's Bday  :sign0072:

I wonder when a translation for his book will be available. It usually takes some time before his new books reach the west. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users