• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#21 Weave

Weave

~This looks like a zombie pen!~

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,056 posts
  • Reading now?:~The Dark Half by Stephen King & Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman~
  • LocationSomewhere in Scotland

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:10 PM

You've got me very jealous now Gyre :yes: I'm interested in the diary too, is it worth it?

I think it is worth it Chrysalis, its very pretty, so pretty infact, I hate writing in it :)

Posted Image

Product Description~

Cats slink across the pages; the seasons are marked by cherry blossom and Japanese maple; spaghetti strands or telephone cords separate the days; and a generous selection of quotations and extracts from Murakami's novels and stories appear on almost every page to inspire, amuse or entertain. This is a diary like no other, faithful to all that is witty, surreal, sexy and beautiful in Murakami's work. A must-have for fans of Murakami, fans of Vintage fiction and fans of unique design, this diary will appeal to everyone as a quirky companion for 2009.

#22 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,281 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

I bought 2 Murakami books on the weekend:

Dance Dance Dance
South of the Border, West of the Sun

I haven't read any before, so was thrilled to find them.

Any recommendations as to which one I should read first?

#23 Seiichi

Seiichi

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:37 AM

I'd start with South of the Border, West of the Sun and save Dance, Dance, Dance until after you've read A Wild Sheep Chase.

#24 Weave

Weave

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts
  • Reading now?:~The Dark Half by Stephen King & Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman~

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

As Seiichi said Kylie, read 'Dance Dance Dance' after 'A Wild Sheep Chase' but if you don't want to wait, 'Dance Dance Dance' can be read as a stand alone book.

'South of the Border, West of the Sun' is really good, I hope you enjoy it.

I would recommend reading 'The Wind Up Bird Chronicle' next :D

Happy reading Kylie
:haha:

Edited by Weave, 23 March 2009 - 09:02 AM.

#25 BookJumper

BookJumper

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,735 posts
  • Reading now?:Jasper Fforde, The Last Dragonslayer
  • LocationUK (mostly)

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

I'm afraid I don't "get" him either? I was given "Norwegian Wood" by my big sis ages ago, because the title is a Beatles song (I am a big Beatles fan) so she thought the song might prove crucial to the story, thus interesting me. Back then I read the first 50 pages or so and got very confused; I get the feeling from you guys' posts that that's part of the whole point (i.e. that there isn't one) but I like points in books... am I wasting my time in planning to give it another go?

#26 Weave

Weave

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

I would give him another go but I am biased because I really enjoy his books,I like the quirkiness :haha:

You like what you like, is my motto :D xx

#27 chrysalis_stage

chrysalis_stage

Nature Lover

• Advanced Member
  • 1,338 posts
  • Reading now?:Kraken - China Mieville
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

I wouldn't give up yet. Norwegian wood storyline is different to others by him, you may prefer one of his others. Have you checked out the synopsis of others on Amazon such as his short stories. I am personally interested in his others more than Norwegian wood.

I like the fact he doesn't give everything away, as there will be more variety on peoples opinions and their ideas on the meaning of the plot. You don't have to get it, just let it wash over you and think about it afterwards when everything has come together.

I heard he wrote his books centered around romance until Japans gas attack plus other things and then switched his theme to ordinary people and the odd things that happen to them.

Nothing wrong if you don't like his writing though, each to their own!

#28 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,281 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:12 AM

Thanks Seiichi and Gyre. South of the Border, West of the Sun it is!

I've been curious about The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle for a while, so I'll keep an eye out for it.

#29 Weave

Weave

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:15 AM

Let us know what you think of South of the Border, West of the Sun Kylie :)

#30 Freewheeling Andy

Freewheeling Andy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Like others, I'd start with South of the Border - which I've actually not read, but most Murukami fans that I know love. Often described as his best book.

I do like Dance, Dance, Dance, and it would work on its own, but it does sit better with Wild Sheep Chase.

Bookjumper, I'd probably suggest you'd struggle with other Murukami books, and it might be worth giving up. The lack of direction is pretty universal, as is the weird shallowness of characters. Although Norwegian Wood is a different (and slightly more mainstream) book to the others, the style of writing is similar. If you can't get past the writing style of Norwegian Wood, it's probably just not worth making the effort.

That said, I love Murukami, and I'd be delighted if you did try again and found somethng like Wild Sheep Chase or Wind-up Bird to be your cup of tea after all.

#31 Smay

Smay

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

I enjoy the crazier Murakami from Hard-Boiled Wonderland more than the serious one from Norwegian Wood. Although these books are also really good.

Has anyone already read his latest Novel 'What i think about, when i think about running'? I haven't has time yet, but I'm very excited!

#32 Mac

Mac

Howdy, y'all.

• Advanced Member
  • 1,427 posts
  • Reading now?:Carter Beats The Devil by Glen David Gold
  • Locationlocation, location

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

I've waxed rhapsodic about this guy along with the rest of them, but I'll reiterate that his words are soporific to me. I find his imagery beautiful, his prose lyrical, his whole style melodic and harmonious.

Do give him another go. It seems a general consensus that Norwegian Wood is very different to his other books, but I still adored it. Check out my thoughts on it, if it helps, on the thread Mac Reads 2009.

Eee...Murakami - he's my hero!
:irked:

#33 Weave

Weave

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

Eee...Murakami - he's my hero!
:lol:

I hear ya!:irked:

#34 Freewheeling Andy

Freewheeling Andy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Has anyone already read his latest Novel 'What i think about, when i think about running'? I haven't has time yet, but I'm very excited!

Yep. It's not a novel. It's a memoir, and quite weird, too. It partly describes his writing, but mostly it's about his obsession with marathon running and triathlons. Completely unlike anything else of his I've read, and not necessarily a book I'd recommend unless you were a runner, I think.

#35 Smay

Smay

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hmm that's dissapointing.
I'll read some of his other books first!

#36 Freewheeling Andy

Freewheeling Andy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:42 PM

Yep. I'd read Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and A Wild Sheep Chase long before.

#37 farmlanebooks

farmlanebooks

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

I started with Kafka on the Shore and loved it.

Wild Sheep Chase had a great beginning, but I was a bit disappointed by the ending. I'm looking forward to reading lots more of his books.

#38 Mac

Mac

Howdy, y'all.

• Advanced Member
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

I've bought another two of his today. A Wild Sheep Chase and The Wind-up Bird Chronicle. I'm addicted to the guy. Happy days! :lol:

#39 Weave

Weave

• Advanced Member
  • 10,056 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

I just finished reading 'Sputnik Sweetheart' which I really enjoyed and I bought 'Norwegian Wood' and 'What I talk about when I talk about running' by Haruki Murakami :lol:

#40 Mac

Mac

Howdy, y'all.

• Advanced Member
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:36 PM

I've been talking to some friends and it struck me while this was occurring that Murakami is very much akin to Sushi.

Clean, fresh, fragrant, stimulating, crisp...

Murakami is Sushi for the mind!

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users