Weave

Haruki Murakami

169 posts in this topic

I borrowed another Murakami from the library - Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. It's one of his most recent novels, so we shall see if his surrealism continues.

I've still, disappointingly, never read a Murakami novel. A friend is sending Norwegian Wood to me in the post next week. Is that a good place to start?

I've never read Norwegian Wood, so can't say, but maybe Raven can help. I'm quite new to Murakami, even though I have been aware of him for ages.

Norwegian Wood is as good a place to start as any.  Its his most main stream novel, though, so it is more "normal" than his other novels, which - as BB said - usually contain some surreal content.

I've red Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World as well as Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki.

I loved Hard-Boiled Wonderland, the whole weirdness of it, the fantasy elements as well as the characters and the split between the different worlds.

Colorless Tsukuri Tazaki I did not like. It was not bad, the writing was engaging enough, but I found it too mundane. I hoped for more mystical explanations for the whole story and was very disappointed that there was pretty much no magic to the realism this time.

I was thinking of going for The Wild Sheep Chase or Kafka on the Shore next.

Maybe someone can offer some recommendations on which of Murakamis books are strong on the weird and magical.

A Wild Sheep Chase is pretty good, and surreal in places (and you should certainly read it before the sequel Dance, Dance, Dance).

After the Quake is a book of short stories that has a few surreal bits in as well.

I've red Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World as well as Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki.

I loved Hard-Boiled Wonderland, the whole weirdness of it, the fantasy elements as well as the characters and the split between the different worlds.

Colorless Tsukuri Tazaki I did not like. It was not bad, the writing was engaging enough, but I found it too mundane. I hoped for more mystical explanations for the whole story and was very disappointed that there was pretty much no magic to the realism this time.

I was thinking of going for The Wild Sheep Chase or Kafka on the Shore next.

Maybe someone can offer some recommendations on which of Murakamis books are strong on the weird and magical.

The Strange Library ~ very weird and magical, the only downside is, it's very short

IQ84 ~ I re-read it last year and I enjoyed it more the second time around, Haruki Murakami creates two worlds that are connected, everything is connected in the story and its great to read. 

Kafka on the Shore ~ very surreal, very weird and one of the characters can talk to cats. 

:cat:

Three I've not read yet, though I do own a copy of Kafka on the Shore.

Thanks guys. I'll try out your suggestions, probably starting with the Strange Library, since I'm in the mood for shorter books right now. I have heard uniformly good stuff about IQ84, so that's certainly on the back burner.

I've just finished it, and while I enjoyed it I know what you mean. In fact while I was reading it, I was thinking to myself that I'm enjoying Murakami's writing more than the storyline. It wasn't a very long book, and it's one of his more 'normal' ones I think.

I enjoy Murakami and have read a number of his books, and yet have a kind of peculiar amnesia when it comes to him, such that I've pretty well stopped buying his work. Every time I read one of his books it instantly disappears from my mind the moment I finish it. Even 1Q84, which I felt great enthusiasm due to some of its themes overlapping with profound changes in my life at the time of reading, has more or less completely vanished from my memory.  I suspect the phenomenon has something to do with the surreal quality of his works, the nebulous nature of his characters. I appreciate these in theory, but these characteristics fail to encode concrete impressions in memory. 

I randomly discovered Murakami 5 years ago in a local library. I was browsing books at random and the simple cover and the description with words like "The Beatles" , "jazz" or "Jim Morrison" caught my attention. I have read some other books by him since then but he's a hit or miss. I love Hard Boiled Wonderland and the Edge of the World or 1Q84 but other works like A WIld Sheep Case were really meh. 

I am glad that I randomly stumbled on his works and I am working on reading all of his books eventually. Hopefully he will get a Nobel prize too but I highly doubt it since his subjects don't tick the right boxes for that prize. 

edit: Thread related. 

415867._SY540_.jpg

Edited by MrCat

edit: Thread related. 

415867._SY540_.jpgdoe

Love this. Absolutely spot on. Like musicians, most writers cover the same territory again and again with small variations. It doesn't have be to be a bad thing as long as there is new material along with the old. I mean, even Homer did it.  :P

I also enjoyed 'After Dark'. I like the mixture of realism and surrealism in Murakami's work, which is widely reflective of Japanese literature and media in general. Strangely, though I find Murakami's one of the most inspiring writers from a writing perspective, I find I'm rarely able to get through one of his books.

I tried to read 'The Wind-Up Bird Chronical' last year, and couldn't get through it. I enjoy the almost comforting way he makes mundane activities interesting, but sometimes the book would go on for ages with absolutely nothing happening. I didn't feel it really had much of a plot, and I gave up after reading about 200 pages.

I also find his female characters a bit lacking. I vaguely remember the protagonist of After Dark being an exception, but a lot of the women characters don't seem to do much or have much personality, and seem to only be there for the sex scenes. Not all are like that, but too many are. Sometimes I feel like Murakami's writing reads like a hormonal teenage boy's fanfiction. It's just a bit off-putting.

I might read another of his in the future, probably one of the shorter ones. I liked 'Kafka on the Shore' and 'After Dark' the best so far.

Sometimes I feel like Murakami's writing reads like a hormonal teenage boy's fanfiction. It's just a bit off-putting.

1Q84 was very much like this. There was a lot of sex, especially between women, and constant discussion of various body parts. No exaggeration, there was some sexual reference every 10 pages or so. :thud:

1Q84 was very much like this. There was a lot of sex, especially between women, and constant discussion of various body parts. No exaggeration, there was some sexual reference every 10 pages or so. :thud:

Thanks, it's good to know I can expect this before going into it :).

Murakami has a new novel coming out at the end of February, it will be titled "Killing Commendatore" and will be spread across multiple volumes.

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. I will keep an eye out for it, for sure.

Today is also Murakami's Bday  :sign0072:

I wonder when a translation for his book will be available. It usually takes some time before his new books reach the west.