Charles Dickens

Michelle

enjoying the Dickens novels.so far only 2,Great Expectations and David Copperfield. David Copperfield is so good it deserves multi readings!:smile2:

Dickens has wriiten NOTES ON AMERICA. I'm sure he has written Notes on Italy?

Edited by Michelle
posts merged

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

When I was still a child, I remembered reading his book, Oliver Twist. It was a very thick book for me as a child, but I managed to finish it. I really enjoyed it. I felt a lot for the orphan, Oliver and the sad life that he had to go through. I love the ending, though.

Great Expectations was the first book I read on my own as a kid and it's still in my top 5. I love Pip and how he aspires to get away from his poor upbringing to become a gentleman when the only 'gentle' man in the book is Joe Gargery, a blacksmith.

I just like how it shows that things aren't always as they appear.

Edited by Nicola

I actually didn't like Great Expectations. I just didn't sympathize with the characters. David Copperfield is my definite favorite, although Bleak House, Oliver Twist, and Nicholas Nickleby are high up on my list as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have started reading my lovely hardback copy of, A Christmas Carol which is illustrated by Quentin Blake, :D I`m enjoying it too, maybe the illustrations are helping because the only Dickens book I tried reading before was Great Expectations and I really couldn`t get on with it! :(

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to read a Charles Dickens novel for so long but all my attempts at it fail... Well, I've mostly attempted with The Pickwick Papers. I don't know, maybe 2009 was just a bad reading year. At any rate I wanted an opnion from the fans.

I have Barneby Rudge and Nicolas Nickleby on my TBR list. Which do you think I should read first?

Admission . . . I've never read anything by Charles Dickens. What's a good one to start with? I fancy reading a lesser known one so that I don't know the plot from film and TV adaptations

Try 'Pickwick Papers' as a gentle introduction - it's light, amusing and will give you a good idea of Dickens' work without outfacing you.

Ever so slightly off-topic...

When I was down South back in the mid-nineties I went to Broadstairs to see Dickens House. The large white building is quite impressive, and when I stopped at the walkway around it (which is covered in shells from the beach a very short walk away) I saw a fox about five feet away from me. It came closer, probably wondering why I was dawdling and staring at the building, then jumped on the wall. That fox watched me as I continued on, and to this day I'm certain that the building has some kind of magic around it - not literal magic, just... An aura perhaps.

• 2 months later...

I haven't read them all yet but my faves so far would be 'Great Expectations' (truly astonishing) and 'Bleak House'. I love 'A Christmas Carol' too and read it every year.

The one's I've read are

Bleak House

Great Expectations

Nicholas Nickleby

David Copperfield

Sketches by Boz

Pickwick Papers

Martin Chuzzlewit

Our Mutual Friend

A Christmas Carol

The Chimes

I really want to read 'A Tale of Two Cities' sometime this year.

I really want to read 'A Tale of Two Cities' sometime this year.

That one is so far the only Dickens novel I've ever read. However, it's on my top 5 books ever, I absolutely loved it! I hope you get to read it this year and will enjoy it :D

Thanks frankie :D ... I've got it on my shelf. I have a lot of Puffin classics because I bought a little bookcase from an antique shop and it's shelves weren't deep enough to fit standard sized paperbacks .. luckily I discovered that the Puffic classics fit perfectly. One of the one's that I bought was 'Tale of Two Cities' and so there's no excuse not to start reading it this year.

I know the story from films and also an abridged reading that I once heard but you only ever get half the story from that so looking forward to reading it in detail.