Charles Dickens

Michelle

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will try to re-read it for the circle but I'm not sure I'll fit it in! :D

On the subject of Dickens, does anyone know anything about his non-fiction travel writing? I've searched on Amazon and found one of London (and one by his son - also Charles) but I thought he'd written more.

I'm thinking of trying to get one for my Mum for Christmas - so any advice welcome. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Have just read Our Mutual Friend which was very good.

:)

I have to say that out of all the Dickens books, i love this one the most. I would love it if we were able to discuss this one on the forum. Of course i'm looking forward to trying and nattering about some i haven't read yet.

I am about to start reading Pickwick Papers. I belong to a group on Ravelry.com, called Knit like the Dickens, which is for fans of Dickens. We are having a readalong, starting in January which will be Pickwick Papers, and this will be accompanied by a Kal (knitalong) which will be based on something to do with the novel, or something Dickensian. I think I might knit one of Alan Dart's Dickensian Mice

dickensianmice.jpg

We will take the reading slowly, its too long to read in a month. However, it will be made more fun and possibly easier for me by my Christmas pressie. Santa bought me a Sony E-reader, which many of you know I've been wanting for a few years! Finally got it, and it's brilliant!

Digressing! Sorry. Will report back on Pickwick, when I finally finish it :)

DickensLondon.jpg

I have a wonderful book, called Dicken's London. It has great photographs of London taken at the time Dickens was alive. Peter Ackroyd has written the text Dickens, or about Dickens, this book is a must to put everything into context :)

Ohhh I simply adore the idea of this! I've never read a Charles Dickens book (*shame* :lol:) but I planned to this year - I want to read A Christmas Carol, The Old Curiosity Shop and David Copperfield, as all three have caught my eye repeatedly over the years.

I think I'll get this book first, read it and THEN start reading Dickens =D

• 4 weeks later...

I love Dickens books. My Dad read lots of them to me when I was a really little girl..they were my bed time stories!

My favourite has to be Great Expectations. Without a doubt. I've read it lots of times!

I think I might re-visit some more of his books again this year...they take me back to some good memories.

Ohhh I simply adore the idea of this! I've never read a Charles Dickens book (*shame* :)) but I planned to this year - I want to read A Christmas Carol, The Old Curiosity Shop and David Copperfield, as all three have caught my eye repeatedly over the years.

I think I'll get this book first, read it and THEN start reading Dickens =D

I'm going to give this a go too. Looks interesting! Thank you

I've never read a Charles Dickens book, but I've see The Old Curiosity Shop and Great Expectations on tv. They looked good, wouldn't mind giving one of Dickens' books a go.

I find the 'ye olde speak' quite difficult as I have to keep re-reading sentences to make sense of them. Also, with old books I've noticed that even though they've been printed recently the text is always sooo small! I'm not an old lady but I struggle to find my sentence sometimes lol

I read The Pickwick Papers over Christmas, and it was a fantastic experience! I loved it so much. My husband may (or may not) have gotten fed up of me 'quoting' various parts of the book to him whilst he was driving.

I'm going to read Oliver Twist next as I'm going to try and read them in the order they were published.

Recently finished Oliver Twist.Which was my 1st Dickens indeed my first classic, shameful at my age..but anyway Oliver Twist is excellent.The characters were brilliant especially Sikes,Nancy and Fagin,Oliver was a bit of a sap though!I'm really looking forward to my next taste of Charles Dickens and I hope to read all his books.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Fluffyblue.Being halfway through The Pickwick Papers, I would recommend it as a first Dickens read, as it is easy and quite cheerful...nothing too heavy. I too am going to read everything chronologically. We decided to do this on Ravelry so that we could detect changes in Dickens writing style etc. Might be interesting to plot his 'progress'. Haven't started the Knit-a-long yet, but changed my mind and will do a shawl I think.

• 3 weeks later...

ive read all of dickins novels.i think its 14 novels and 5 short novels im not entirely certain.

out of all of them the one to have the bigest impact on me has to be bleak house.

it probabaly has one of the greatest opening chapters in litarature.i think the great thing about dickins is you really feel like you have stepped into a time machine and been transported back to victorian london.

you live it and you breath it.

his other great talent is for caracature,and humour.