Charles Dickens

Michelle

Indeed, with Dickens you are in a master's presence as you read. Every sentence full of life. His portrayal of characters and personalities and the comic aspects is amazing and a delight. 

I know i must read all his novels now. Trouble is time! If only i could just read day and night.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay folks, after finally reading A Christmas Carol last year, I've been thinking about reading another Dickens novel.

Looking back through this thread (or at least the first couple of pages) the recommendations appear to be largely for the obvious: Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, David Copperfield etc.

I thought I would start at the beginning with The Pickwick Papers - would those in the know say this is a good idea?

16 hours ago, Raven said:

Okay folks, after finally reading A Christmas Carol last year, I've been thinking about reading another Dickens novel.

Looking back through this thread (or at least the first couple of pages) the recommendations appear to be largely for the obvious: Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, David Copperfield etc.

I thought I would start at the beginning with The Pickwick Papers - would those in the know say this is a good idea?

I've actually never read The Pickwick Papers all the way through, I've only ever read some of the parts separately (you probably already know but the Pickwick Papers were originally published as connected stories in monthly parts). I really need to read it properly!

If someone asked me which novel they should read first I'd probably say Hard Times or Oliver Twist, just because I remember those as being the easiest and quickest to read, out of the ones I've read, but I don't think you can go wrong with any starting point really. 

17 hours ago, Raven said:

Pickwick is very humorous and a really good read.

Pickwick Papers for me.:) I love the way they form their own individual stories, but are connected. Just the right length for a " read". 

Of the other novels, Oliver Twist is an old favourite - if that's a suitable word to app!y. The happy ending for Oliver helps of course (sorry for the spoiler!) but I remember being stunned as a youngster on first reading of the harsh lives of the poor\parentless young of that time, and the system which abused them.

Not only an enjoyable author and talented wordsmith, but these novels give us an insight into the actual kind of daily lives lived by those of equal status all those years ago. They're fascinating history lessons too.

Just enjoy whichever you choose.

Happy :readingtwo: to All.

• 1 month later...

Did you ever find that "real" copy of Pickwick Papers Raven? Sadly copies of the older classics are becoming more difficult to find in paperback or hardback. Somehow it feels wrong to read them on kindle etc., though I expect their authors would be fascinated!:(

Summer is usually my time for some fantasy or folklore type reading but I've been feeling a pull to stretch my brain a little lately (must be all the old repeats I've watched during lockdown!) so now that my local Library is soon to re-open :party: I'll soon be able to mull over a full over the range.

Meanwhile, finishing off my dual time Avalon novel ...

Happy :readingtwo:  All!

5 hours ago, Booknutt said:

Did you ever find that "real" copy of Pickwick Papers Raven? Sadly copies of the older classics are becoming more difficult to find in paperback or hardback. Somehow it feels wrong to read them on kindle etc., though I expect their authors would be fascinated!:(

Last Saturday was the first time I've been in a bookshop since lockdown started, and I did look at a copy, but it was a bit dog-eared so I left it.  I'm not in hurry; if I don't get a copy for a while it's not a problem!! 

Nice one itsmeagain!

That's a proper book!:)

I'm sure your patience will be rewarded, Raven. Try the second hand bookshops. If you feel a bit nervous of using any bought book in current circumstances, dampen a piece of kitchen roll or a tissue in white vinegar, squeeze out well, and rub over the outer cover of the book to disinfect it. Let it dry - the whiff will disappear in a while, and you have a clean book.

I usually use water on any pre-owned books I buy, but currently white vinegar is a great cleanser.

Happy :readingtwo: All

To help prevent the possible spread of Covid, Waterstones put aside any books handled but not purchased for 72 hours as that is how long the virus can survive on paper according to the science.

Lovely books, Hayley.:)

That's useful information too Brian. With the lockdown over we can mooch the bookstores of all kinds fairly safely now, then! Of course books are handled by loads of people who are curious about them, so new or pre read, a little wipe would do no harm even so. The older ones without covers may lose a little dye,but it's a small sacrifice.

I love scooping a great bargain like Hayleys books. They look so good on the shelf, too. 

On 15/07/2020 at 3:24 PM, Hayley said:

Oooh that is a nice one itsmeagain!

I got mine in a second hand bookshop ages ago. They're only really inexpensive 80's editions by Guild publishing but I love them:

Pickwick Papers 2.jpgPickwick Papers.jpg

Wonderful set Hayley.😁

On 14/07/2020 at 5:23 PM, Booknutt said:

Nice one itsmeagain!

That's a proper book!:)

I'm sure your patience will be rewarded, Raven. Try the second hand bookshops. If you feel a bit nervous of using any bought book in current circumstances, dampen a piece of kitchen roll or a tissue in white vinegar, squeeze out well, and rub over the outer cover of the book to disinfect it. Let it dry - the whiff will disappear in a while, and you have a clean book.

I usually use water on any pre-owned books I buy, but currently white vinegar is a great cleanser.

Thanks Booknutt.

• 1 year later...

Dombey and son. Just finished it today, took about 8 weeks. 8 weeks in which several other books were also being read to lessen the absolute tedium. 

Oh my, beautiful book, hardback, charity shop, original drawings by Phiz. 

A book of very well written prose, with usual Dickens themes of oppression, deceit, and weddings. Ludicrous twists keep a tired story alive. 

• 1 year later...