Joanne Harris

SueK

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly half way, but am beginning to struggle with it...seems very 'samey' at the moment and still an awful long read to go to get to anywhere....should I keep going with it?

• 3 weeks later...

mmmm - Would give it to half way, if still struggling - ditch it. There are too many books waiting for you to read! :)

Sorry to say Maureen I had to give up....just not holding my interest and so much so I read something else inbetween, went back to it but nope. It just wasn't my kind of read in the end.So it is winging it's way to my fellow bookcrosser who is next in line in the bookring for it.

• 4 weeks later...

When I first read Chocolat it was such a fasinating book and then when Lollipop shoes came out it was like visiting old friends again after being apart for a while and hearing what they had been up to. Two brilliant books.

I really enjoyed Chocolat, its even on my "one day I will re-read that" list. I have others on my shelf but for some reason never seem to pick up. I did venture to reading Coastliners the other week and it didn't grab me like Chocolat did so I guess the others will carry on gathering dust for a while longer yet.

Perhaps I should re-read Chocolat to renew my interest.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just found out this is happening this year....'A welcome return to the village in rural France that was the setting for Joanne Harris's remarkable and much-loved number one bestseller Chocolat '.....def one for the wish list.

New Book

Lollipop Shoes only follows Vianne and Anouk plus Roux and is set it Paris, so I guess you probably won't need to have read it, if the story is going back to the rural village. If you want to find out what it's about without reading it, you could have a look at the Wikipedia page which explains the plot and the characters.

Lollipop Shoes only follows Vianne and Anouk plus Roux and is set it Paris, so I guess you probably won't need to have read it, if the story is going back to the rural village. If you want to find out what it's about without reading it, you could have a look at the Wikipedia page which explains the plot and the characters.

was just thinking I have to get this book (loved Chocolat) until I realized it has a different title here in the U.S...The Girl With No Shadow....which I happen to have already

• 10 months later...

My favourite is Holy Fools.  I read it in such a short span of time as it is a book I devoured.  It was mesmerising and I enjoyed the historical but also the mystical element to it and the obssessive love relationship at the heart of it involving a literary villian.

I also recommend Gentlemen and Players and loved the turn at the end. 

Blackberry Wine is on my TBR list for the next year.

I rather like Joanne Harris, though I've not read many of hers - Chocolat and Five Quarters of the Orange. I think I gave up on Blackberry Wine, it was a bit too weird for me. Lollipop Shoes is on my TBR list but I think it'll take me a while to get to it. I want to read Runemarks, too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...