Joanne Harris

SueK

The Evil Seed ~ Well I have to say I have had very mixed feelings about this book. I almost gave up on it. At times I found it too discriptive and very confusing the way it was jumping back and forward. I also found it difficult to who was narating at times. Lots of characters to try and keep track of. However I persevered with it trying to work out the plot and by half way through I knew I had to finish it. It did pick up and I thought I had it worked out but then lost my way again. Have to say by the end of it I was still confused. Not the Joanne Harris I am used to reading and am glad I didn't read this one first or I may not have picked up anymore to read....thank goodness I started with 'Chocolat'!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ashamed to say that , although I started this thread, I have yet to start Chocolat. It's sitting on TBR crying out to be read. If only I could get round to it. I'm so immersed in Stalin at the moment, can't seem to free myself from the trappings .....

The Evil Seed ~ Well I have to say I have had very mixed feelings about this book. I almost gave up on it. At times I found it too discriptive and very confusing the way it was jumping back and forward. I also found it difficult to who was narating at times. Lots of characters to try and keep track of. However I persevered with it trying to work out the plot and by half way through I knew I had to finish it. It did pick up and I thought I had it worked out but then lost my way again. Have to say by the end of it I was still confused. Not the Joanne Harris I am used to reading and am glad I didn't read this one first or I may not have picked up anymore to read....thank goodness I started with 'Chocolat'!

Well done for finishing it Inver :smile2: I have never read 'Chocolat' (its on my TBR pile), I read 'Sleep, Pale Sister' and 'The Evil Seed', I enjoyed them both, I like the whole gothic genre, anyway I am waffling, 'The Evil Seed' is a bit confusing, I found myself going back and forth because I felt I was missing something but once I got into it, I enjoyed it ;)

You might enjoy 'Sleep, Pale Sister' Inver :D

Tried that one via Bookcrossing bookring, but I gave up on it and didn't finish.

Ach well, there is plenty more Joanne Harris books to enjoy :D

Think I have 3 others on my shelf. Jigs & Reels, Gentlemen & Players, Holy Fools.

I like the sound of them all, I will invest in them one of these days :D

Have to say they have been gathering dust on my shelves for a few years. I am really trying to get to books/authors I haven't picked up in a while.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am new today so feeling a bit of an intruder,

I thought I had read pretty much everything by Joanna Harris, but thanks to you all I now have a couple more titles to try.

I thoroughly enjoyed most of the books, and would go as far as to say she was one of my favourites but "Blackberry Wine" I found a bit odd, and "the Evil Seed" I didn't think I liked, but then found I couldn't put it down and read it through the night so I suppose I must have!

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed Gentlemen and Players.

A girl from work urged me to read it and I nearly gave up on it but glad I persevered.

I love when others give me recommendations but when someone actually lends you a book and then wants your opinion, I tend to dig my heels in and read anything but that book and I can also feel quite pressured. Is this just me? Makes me sound ungrateful doesn't it?

I have now added Sleep Pale Sister to my Wish List as a result of reading some posts here (they reminded me how much I enjoyed Chocolat and Gentlemen and Players, so I went searching for more info). And off the back of that, I'm dying to read her latest one, Blueeyedboy which sounds fantastic!

• 1 month later...

I have read all her books except The Evil Seed. must check that out.

Gentlemen and Players was the only book I felt comfortable giving as an end of year present to my daughters teacher. (it had just come out and she was an avid reader)

Sleep Pale Sister is haunting, but I think I loved Coastliners is my favourite. Oh, and maybe Lollipop Shoes

• 1 month later...

I've read Chocolat, Lollipop shoes & recently Blackberry Wine all of which i enjoyed. Ive got quite a lot of her other books too, as they turn up regularly in the charity shops, but haven't got round to reading them yet. I think my latest find is called Holy Fools.

I would agree with The Evil Seed being the best one of hers that I have read. I really liked the way that the story developed and it was not what I was expecting at all. I did try and read The Coastliners afterwards but really could not get into it at all but looking back I think that it was because both books are so different and I was expecting more of the same.

I have Chocolat on my reading pile and after seeing all of the recommendations I think that it needs to move up a bit.

• 2 months later...

I think Holy Fools is my favourite of her books. Might have something to with the fact that I've always found monasteries, travellers and that supernatural - witchery theme very fascinating. It has a lot in common with Chocolate and especially the sequel The Lollipop Shoes. Which might be why it's another favourite of mine.

JH has a prose that's quite poetic and I really like how she describes the bond between an mother and her daughter(s).

I never got into Gentlemen & players before I had to return it and can't rememeber if I ever did finish Coastliners... but really liked Five quarters of the orange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Runemarks is also one of my favourites.

Just about to start Runemarks, not quite sure what I am going to think of it though, doesn't seem quite my usual sort of read, magic and myths etc