Joanne Harris

SueK

Hi, apologies if she has been mentioned on here already (I am still trying to find my way round:smile2:) but I am about to embark on a few of her books. Apart from Chocolat which I'll assume is the best one to start off with, what other ones of hers would you recommend?

Many thanks.

Edit: it would perhaps help if I spelt her name correctly - sorry - Joanne Harris

Edited by SueK
embarassing mistake

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read and enjoyed quite a few of Joanne Harris' books. I had a period when I read a lot of books that in some respect were about food. Chocolat was one of them, but I must say that I liked both Blackberry Wine and Five Quarters of the Orange better than I liked Chocolat. But I would say that all those books are very similar to one another. My all time favourite by Joanne Harris is Gentlemen and Players, I think that's because I had a lot of surprises when I read that book. Sometimes when you read a book you know the "formula" of that type of book, and you can make pretty good guesses about what's going to happen. It doesn't mean that those books are bad- but it does make those books stand out when you are surprised.

Gentlemen and Players is my favourite of hers, closely followed by Five Quarters of the Orange.

I also like Blackberry Wine - but some people struggle with it because it's party told by the point of view of a wine bottle! If you can get your hear round that then it's a very enjoyable read. :)

I haven't read Coastliners yet, but it's on my 'to read' shelf. :)

Hi all, thanks for your replies and coments. I shall certainly look at Gentlemen and Players. As I had already got copies of Chocolat and Blackberry Wine (why do these books always seem to be in Charity Shops?) I shall start with them. I certainly loved the film of Chocolat although I believe they made some pertinent changes.

Thanks.

I just finished 5 quarters of the orange, and I think it's the best of them all. The storyline is really good, there are a couple of 'sub plots' going on, and as the story progresses, certain issues come to light....

I loved this book!

I have this out from the library, now I'm excited to get into it :lol: I've read Gentleman and Players by her and loved it so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this one even more.

If you enjoyed Chocolat, you should read Lollipop Shoes. It has some of the same characters and is a good read too. I also enjoyed Five Quarters of the Orange

I have just started on lollipop shoes. Never knew this book existed, actually. Was discussing JH with a friend of mine and she mentioned it - and then lent me the book. It looks as if it is going to be an enjoyable read.

I have just started on lollipop shoes. Never knew this book existed, actually. Was discussing JH with a friend of mine and she mentioned it - and then lent me the book. It looks as if it is going to be an enjoyable read.

I found Lollipop Shoes difficult. I assumed at the time it was because it was so long since I had read Chocolat. Would like to know what you think of it?

• 6 months later...

I picked up a copy of Lollipop Shoes the other week and I have just signed up for a bookring for The Evil Seed. Not my usual type of red but am willing to give it a try.

I have read 'Sleep, Pale Sister' & 'The Evil Seed' which were both really good.

I keep meaning to read 'Chocolat':D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid I am struggling a bit with Evil Seed, not here usual writing which I knew before I started. Don't think vampiry reads are my thing!!