Nora Roberts

As some of you know, I just adore the In Death series, where Nora writes as JD Robb. But for some reason, something is putting me off her other books. Knowing the sorts of things that I like, can anyone recommend a good one ot start off with?

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

I have enjoyed lots of her books, some of them have been quite good thrillers.

She has also written a few tiologies as well that I enjoyed.

THREE SISTERS TRILOGY

Dance Upon the Air (2001), Heaven and Earth (2001), Face the Fire (2002)

These are about 3 witches and they are great books, each interlinking with the others so need to be read in order.

Midnight Bayou, Blue Smoke, Birthright, Northern Lights, and Remember When were all good books.

I think years ago she wrote mainly romance books, but lately her books have more of a thriller feel to them and the ones I just mentioned were the ones that stuck out in my mind.

I did love The Chesapeake Bay series as well, not quite sure what genre that falls into though :wink:

Maybe you should try a few other Nora books first, that way you can get used to her writing before you try it again.

Its weird just how different her books are from one pen name to another.

Her J D Robb books are far more gritty and dark compared to her NR stories.

There have been 2 books of hers that I couldn't finish and they were both part of triologies. The books weren't boring as much, but the main characters drove me mad and if I loathe the main character then its rare that I finish the book.

There are three books by NR that I enjoyed and would recommend to anyone.

Montana Sky- (older title, may be out of print, but since it's Nora, who knows?) It's about 3 sisters who discover each other at their father's funeral. In order to claim their inheritance they must all live on his ranch for a specified length of time.

Sanctuary- A photojournalist is stalked via email by some weirdo who keeps sending her pictures of herself that he's taken. She runs away to a place where she believes she'll be safe.

Birthright-An archeologist heads a dig and has to deal with her ex husband, a woman who insists she's her long lost daughter and the murder of the site's owner.

The Three Sisters Trilogy is amazing, it's one of my favorites. The only other two I would recommend highly are Birthright, it was fantastically written and then I would also recomment The Three Fates.

It was a great triology wasn't it Leah? :)

Three Fates, I forgot to mention that one :wink:

For some reason the name Nora Roberts would put me off picking up a book. It makes me think of an old grey hair bespectacled granny sitting knitting and writing slushy romance novels.

Have you ever seen a picture of Nora? She's anything BUT a bespectacled gray-haired granny! LOL!

She's about 5'-5" tall (more or less), slender, I've seen her blonde, brunette and red-headed, and she has a husky voice.

She's been very cordial every time I've spoken with her, but she most definitely has that "celebrity" aura about her. I've never seen her alone...always has an entourage of admirers and fans. Even at book signings, she has an assistant with her.

Oh, and don't knock those "slushy romances"! They are what helped catapult Nora to the top of the heap! And they command over 50% of the total number of books purchased every year. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I decided to take a look at my library's offerings, and decided on 'Blue Delia'. I shall let you know how I get on with it.

Which is the first one in the three sisters trilogy? I have a feeling I looked at the first of these today.. but I could be wrong!

Nora seems to write books at a phenomenal rate, and sadly, in my eyes, that showed in her latest JD Robb book, Born In Death. Apart from Mavis's baby, it was extremely similar to previous books, with nothing to make it stand out.

Has anyone found this so with her other books? Do you think they've suffered being published so quickly?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier! I'm a NR expert. DId you end up reading any of the suggested above???? Here's my professional take: she's written half a dozen books that are absolutely on the mark. The rest are enjoyable, but not pristine. If you'd like MY suggs for the best Nora out there, let me know...until then, I'll make you wait...lol

KW

I just started reading avidly last summer at our lake home and I have become a fanatic. I read Nora Robert's Irish Trilogies in 3 days, could not put them down, then I read all of Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta novels, reading James Patterson, Alex Cross and then will start on Nora Roberts again, Three Sisters Trilogy. Had to collect them all first so I can read them in order.

Reading again has opened a whole new world, not to mention new topics to discuss with my friends who have been trying to get me to be a reader for years. My husband has also gotten back into a little bit. We read John Grishams's A Painted House at the same time, we would pick it up when the other was busy. It was such fun discussing it afterward.

Thank you for letting me share.:roll:

Patty

• 1 month later...
Nora seems to write books at a phenomenal rate, and sadly, in my eyes, that showed in her latest JD Robb book, Born In Death. Apart from Mavis's baby, it was extremely similar to previous books, with nothing to make it stand out.

Has anyone found this so with her other books? Do you think they've suffered being published so quickly?

I have found the same thing, they all seem to be the same so i havn't read one for a while, it's a shame really because i did enjoy her books when i first started reading them