Dr Who

Michelle

Sorry, but it was dreadful - and on so many different levels.

I can understand the criticism of the first two episodes, and the praise of the occasional humour in this one, but the Doctor was pretty much useless for the entire episode tonight.

HE RAN OUT OF THE TARDIS! Bwaa?!?!

And then there was the god awful Rory revival - "Oh no! *gasp* he's dead!" [AGAIN] before he suddenly gasped his way back to life. It was awful when they did that on Matt Huston 30 years ago, and it was even worse tonight - what the hell were they thinking?!

No, sorry Chesil, this was a very bad episode (and I've not even mentioned Pirate Amy, the rubbish EMH or how a 17th Century Pirate could even begin to understand how to navigate a spaceship!).

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not saying it was perfect, but I think after the disappointment of the first two (I actually fell asleep during the first episode), it lifted my spirits and I just rolled along with the adventure. You know I'm not a classic series die-hard fan, and I'm less bothered about some of the things you've mentioned, and I really liked to the swashbuckling pirate Amy. I didn't think there was any humour in the first story, and was just baffled by some of the actions of the characters, but I was more concerned that

the Doctor arranges for the video clip to be shown over the Moon landings telling humans to kill the Silence on sight??? The Doctor I know would never tell humans to kill another species, he'd always find another way or do it himself, and certainly wouldn't revel in it as I felt happened at the end of Day of the Moon.

When it comes to Doctor Who, I love the comedy in the new series, something I think RTD got right a lot of the time, and Moffat seemed to pick up on that brilliantly when he was writing one story per series, but now he's writing the majority of the series, I personally think he's lost a lot of that. Personally, I don't really want lots of plot lines running through entire series, especially if they're a big part of the story. I think the only time this was done well was in the first series, where it made absolutely no difference if you hadn't spotted Bad Wolf, but when the Doctor mentions he's seen it everywhere in Boom Town, you can go back and look for it if you want, but if not, it's no big deal.

Back to last nights, and like I said, I thought it was funny, it was exciting, I thought it looked great, and I'm happy to suspend my disbelief that a space ship is just another ship and a good naval officer should be able to pick it up.

It was a romp. It was daft, and at times out of keeping with what we have learned of our Doctor (agree about the dashing from the TARDIS). I also watched the Rory revival with an oh-no-you-didn't feeling, although I am pondering whether this is to establish once and for all Rory's human credentials.

It was fun in parts, and suitably stereotypical with a stowaway, mutinous crew members and treasure greed. It was a romp, and I think it was a deliberate counter balance to the intensity of those first two season openers.

When it comes to Doctor Who, I love the comedy in the new series, something I think RTD got right a lot of the time, and Moffat seemed to pick up on that brilliantly when he was writing one story per series, but now he's writing the majority of the series, I personally think he's lost a lot of that. Personally, I don't really want lots of plot lines running through entire series, especially if they're a big part of the story. I think the only time this was done well was in the first series, where it made absolutely no difference if you hadn't spotted Bad Wolf, but when the Doctor mentions he's seen it everywhere in Boom Town, you can go back and look for it if you want, but if not, it's no big deal.

With the possible exception of The Beast Below, I think Moffat did very well with his stories last year (The Eleventh Hour, the Weeping Angel two parter and The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang were all very good, as was A Christmas Carol). I felt they were a good mix of cleverly constructed story and humour, and at the same time the crack in the wall thread running through the series wasn't too invasive into the individual stories.

This year he seems to have opted for a more involved and complex plot with Amy's pregnancy being the central thread (along with the "Who is River Song?" and "Who killed the Doctor?" questions). I liked the first two episodes, despite their being a bit more serious than previous Moffat stories, but last nights was just very poorly plotted and I found myself getting bored whilst watching it. I don't think Doctor Who stories need to be dark or complex to make them work, but last night's episode just seemed to ramble along with no real aim and there was a lot in it that just didn't make any sense (even within the context of this being a show about a man travelling through time and space in a phone box!). For me, I would have to say it was the worst Matt Smith story so far, and I'd possibly go so far as to say one of the worst in New Who as well.

While I personally didn't enjoy it quite as much as the 2-part opener, I did think it was an enjoyable way to spend an hour (ish) being enterained. My kids (9 & 6) really liked it - and let's not forget that this show is supposedly aimed primarily at children/families.

As for Amy in pirate get up - what's not to like? Or is that me being a bit middle-aged manish?

Ian

BTW - prehaps it was just me, but in the trailer for next weeks episode - did that sound like Tom Baker speaking?

^ Yes, I suppose it wasn't Last of the Timelords bad, but I'd probably put it on a par with Fear Her! (I didn't mind Gridlock too much, it wasn't great, but it wasn't particularly offensive either).

See, I think I must be one of the few who actually liked Fear Her.

While I personally didn't enjoy it quite as much as the 2-part opener, I did think it was an enjoyable way to spend an hour (ish) being enterained. My kids (9 & 6) really liked it - and let's not forget that this show is supposedly aimed primarily at children/families.

As for Amy in pirate get up - what's not to like? Or is that me being a bit middle-aged manish?

Ian

Perhaps that's why I liked it so much, in my head, I'm still a kid!

BTW - prehaps it was just me, but in the trailer for next weeks episode - did that sound like Tom Baker speaking?

I said exactly the same when I first heard it! I did a rewind immediately and on the second listen, it didn't sound exactly like him, but initially I was convinced it had been him :lol:

:blush: I haven't watched 'Doctor Who'in the longest time but I watched it at 4o'clock this morning and I really enjoyed it :) And Hugh Bonneville was awesome, I think he is a great actor. :)

Old school Dr Who on at the moment with Tom Baker, crikey the credits took me back that tunnel effect anyone else remember. and the costumes frankly hilarious, ha ha ha now there is a petrified hand in a nuclear reactor...Its a tribute to Liz Sladen.

The new one I thought ep 3 was so so I was alittle dissapointed in the ending a bit to pat I think annoyed me. I do like Hugh Bonneville though

^ I've not read the article you've linked to, but I did read the URL so I have a good idea what it is about!

It wouldn't surprise me if that is the case, especially as

Arthur Darvill appears to be performing on stage for what would normally be the start of the next filming block.

I can't say I'll be sorry to see her go, if she is leaving

Although I want to re watch the episode from last night, 'The Doctor's Wife' my first impression (at a quarter to five this morning) was that it was brilliant! :D

Matt Smith is just such a good actor, with nuance and subtlety that makes him a truly worthy Doctor. Barely supressed anger, menace, joy and longing - he brought the range. And this tale had Neil Gaiman's fingerprints ALL over it. I would have known he was involved just from the 'vibe' of the piece. Great TV.

The Doctor's Wife should have been sponsored by Polycell. Just watched The Talons of Weng Chiang, interesting to compare the Doctors, maybe it's because the whole story is crammed into one episode instead of spread over six but the new Doctors seem to be a manic hyper active version compared to the more laid back Doctor of Tom Baker.

That would be my only criticism of the last episode - it felt rushed. Still, you have to work with the time given, and unless they are going to go to two-parters all the time, you're stuck with 45 mins.

• 3 weeks later...

Well folks? What's the verdict regardng this series so far, now that we have entered the 'mid season break'?

Complicated for sure, it will take some good story telling to make sure there are no loose ends to the threads that have been woven to date. I have enjoyed the series, and watching last night's episode with my 10 year old great-nephew was fab with us turning to eah other every few minutes and saying "Ooh look there's a - - - -, and he's/she's on the doctor's side" etc.

Not all the questions I have asked in my head have been answered, but that's probably just as well. And I'm not sure what I think of this break business. Tut!

Well.. I didn't enjoy the last series that much, probably due to the fact that a) I was mourning the loss of Mr Tennant and b) Amy really annoyed me! However, I have LOVED this series, and have also gone back and rewatched some of series 5, getting much more out of it. I think the new actors and actresses have grown into their parts, and I have to admit that most of the time I find Matt an excellent doctor.

As for this series, I was concerned at the beginning that it would all be too complicated, and I still think it may be.. I love the complicated story line, and so does Beth, but I'm sure some younger children and 'casual viewers' may have been put off.

I had actually seen River Song's reveal being discussed in spoiler sections before, and it seemed very odd to me.. but whilst watching the episode, it just worked. I think Alex Kingston has been brilliant all series. There is still plenty to explain, but I now have more faith in Moffat that he'll deliver.

I think I quite like the idea of a break.. it gives us time to appreciate all we've seen.. and rewatch as necessary.. then we have the return to look forward to. Then, after that, the time span until the next series won't be so long.

I'm loving the series, Matt Smith had really grown on me. I don't mind the break so much as it gives me a chance to get my head around everything that has happened so far.

I did find the ending a bit obvious this week though, as soon as I saw the name Melody Pond I knew who she was going to grow up to be!!

Well, I'm obviously in the minority here, but I've only liked one episode of this series - the pirate one, which most other people seemed to dislike! - and I've actually become a bit ambivalent about watching it. I've fallen asleep during two episodes, I've hardly laughed at all (a crucial element to Doctor Who for me) and have been totally non-plussed by the developing story.

We've been watching some episodes from the first four series this week, and I know I've cherry picked them, but not one of the latest series has been as good as any of the older ones we've seen this week.

Edited by chesilbeach

• 1 month later...