Dr Who

Michelle

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought the second episode was brilliant wrapped up the two-parter quite nicely. Obviously still lots of unanswered questions but I enjoy the fact that Moffat is keeping us guessing. For followers of the show who tune in every week, the continuing story-arc is one which will intrigue us to the end, but for those who just flick over occasionally to watch, I imagine that it would be difficult to follow. Definitely looking forward to seeing where this series goes, though..

Did anyone else notice she has a rather large 'watch' on her arm - it looks like the Vortex Manipulator Jack uses.

No I didn't (I might have to watch it all back)

Thanks Raven

I have since looked her up on a dr who website and I am now even more conufsed than I was before.

River Song is an enigmatic character who clearly knows the doctor well but seems to live/operate within a different timeline to him. She is also (sometimes) in prison for an unspecified crime. She first appeared during the David Tennant era, and has popped up since then with our current Matt Smith.

The current series is baffling, headachingly brainstraining and brilliant! NO ONE knows what is actually going on, and reading some of the theories on other sites has been huge fun. All will eventually be revealed I have no doubt, and in the meantime I will try and just hold on tight. :D

She is also (sometimes) in prison for an unspecified crime.

She's there because she once "killed a good man", and as she said at the end of last week's episode she is staying there because she feels she still has a debt to pay.

My first theory (this is a THEORY) was that she killed the Doctor. Not really my first opinion anymore. I'm slowly warming to her, though not so much. I thought it was a brilliant touch, her last sentence in the previous episode. Yay for this series :)

My first theory (this is a THEORY) was that she killed the Doctor. Not really my first opinion anymore. I'm slowly warming to her, though not so much. I thought it was a brilliant touch, her last sentence in the previous episode. Yay for this series :)

Well if we are talking theories then I am going to say the girl in the space suit is River Song and she killed the doctor. That is why I wanted to know if she is a timelord. I also think that River is Amy's daughter but I think I might be getting a bit far fetched on that one.

They've been dropping some pretty unsubtle hints that it was the Doctor that River killed and for that reason I'm starting to think it is someone else – possibly Rory? (though killing him again would stretch things a bit).

The title for the last episode in this transmission block (which I won't mention here) hints that we may find out what happened soon!

When she said it was a good man she killed, she said something like 'the best man I ever knew'. I don't think that would be Rory?

But if Amy is her mother then Rory might be her father or at least a stand in father so she would consider him to be a good man

I am going in too deep aren't I :irked:

I know there's a popular theory that River is Amy's daughter, but I'm having trouble seeing it, and I was wondering if anyone knew the origins of it?

Also, is there anyone on here who thinks the show is *too* complicated now? Personally I love it - we've already watched both episodes again, and I've had some good discussions with Beth, and a couple of friends who watch it. However, I can imagine quite a few casual watchers and/or younger viewers who will be completely confused now, and may stop watching. (I've noticed that if you dare to mention this view on other forums, you get shot down in flames, and are told you're stupid! rolleyes.gif)

I just hope he does manage to explain it all, and wrap it all up, otherwise people will be disappointed.

I know there's a popular theory that River is Amy's daughter, but I'm having trouble seeing it, and I was wondering if anyone knew the origins of it?

It's a big ole internet, and there are a lot of fans out there posting their own personal theories; this is just one of the many doing the rounds.

As for this one’s origins, my guess would be that if you do think it is River who killed the Doctor in the first episode, in the moon suit, it's not a big leap to imagine that the little girl - who was in the same suit - is also a younger version of River.

I don't buy this though as River hasn't previously reacted to Amy in any overt way, and if she were her daughter I think they would have made more of a play on that before now.

Also, is there anyone on here who thinks the show is *too* complicated now? Personally I love it - we've already watched both episodes again, and I've had some good discussions with Beth, and a couple of friends who watch it. However, I can imagine quite a few casual watchers and/or younger viewers who will be completely confused now, and may stop watching. (I've noticed that if you dare to mention this view on other forums, you get shot down in flames, and are told you're stupid! )

How stoopid is that? Tut! ;)

I must admit I've been concerned about that myself. I've only watched the first two episodes the once, so far and I think I understood what went on, but it is twisting and turning like a greased pig.

My acid test is a woman I work with, if she can stick with it I think most will (not because she is thick or anything, but because she isn't a science fiction fan and probably quite accurately represents the audience they are targeting the show at - a general Saturday night audience).

I just hope he does manage to explain it all, and wrap it all up, otherwise people will be disappointed.

I'm sure they will, and I'm sure we won't have to wait until the end of the year to find out what some of the plot points are.

Also, is there anyone on here who thinks the show is *too* complicated now?

No, I think its brilliantly done so people can watch it on one of two levels

There is the entertaining side that Children can follow where you don't actually need to know whats going on to enjoy it and then there is the more complex side where if you want to you can think about the meaning behind everything and start working out theories if you must. I personally would prefer just to stick to the entertaining side but always seem to get drawn into the debates on forums such as this and end up driving myself mad with the many possibilities that could occur.

I really enjoyed these first too episodes and now have high hopes for the rest of the series but I remember enjoying the beginning of last series then lost interest and didn't finish watching it.

I think I have to disagree with you with regards the first two episodes at least - unless you really pay attention and follow, it would be hard to understand and enjoy. But then that's typical of Moffat, so hopefully some of the other episodes will have that feel to them.

I'm also the opposite about the last series - it grew on me as it went along, and I enjoyed the end more. (But then again, I was also grieving no more Mr Tennant! ;))

(But then again, I was also grieving no more Mr Tennant! ;))

Watching him in The Sarah Jane Adventures the other day with my daughters made me realise how much I missed his Doctor.

I can't agree with Raven - I thought it was excellent. I didn't get on with the first two episodes in the series at all, but I'm hoping that the various story threads they set up will be resolved by the end of the series, and I can go back and watch them again, and I may like them a bit more. This one was much more up my street - and I actually laughed a couple of times, something that was completely missing in the first two-parter.