Michelle

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt we'll be watching the Dr Who Xmas Special this year. We gave up watching the show because we couldn't stand Matt Smith in the role and that sidekick lass, Amy Pond, was so bad she was making us sick every time we saw her. I think we'll just wait till the Dr regenerates and then take another look - but only if Amy Pond is long gone by then!

Snap.

I tried to watch the last series to give them a chance I think I watched 3 from start to finish and that was all I could manage.

I thought I liked Amy Pond until the adverts for the Xmas special came on and I thought to myself "Oh God is she still in it" and I realised I don't like her after all. I didn't watch that either.

I will still try and watch this new series though just in case it has improved.

It looks fantastic, although rather a lot of scary masks/dolls - I'm a bit creeped out by what looks like a ventriloquists dummy. Still haunted by The Talons of Weng-Chiang :hide:

Now that was a classic storyline.

The trailer looks fantastic. Heard a lot of things about rumours and story-lines, none of which I'm paying attention too or looking into, as I want the show to be fresh. Literally so excited for this though; I think it's going to be another brilliant season and I can't wait for it to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Very sad news about Lis Sladen, which has come as a complete shock to most.

I've been flitting around the net this evening reading some of the many comments fans have been posting, from people who remember her as their companion, to parents posting how upset their children will be in the morning.

As with Nick Courtney earlier this year, a much loved and respected actor.

She will be missed.

We watched the David Tennant episode School Reunion last night. She was brilliant, and the absolute joy on the Doctors face when he meets her again for the first time since she was his assistant didn't need much acting - I remember David Tennant saying on the DW Confidential that it was like his seven year old self meeting his idol. Her come back was written so fantastically and she got to be strong, clever, angry, funny and touching all in the space of one episode. At the end when they say goodbye to each other was so moving, OH and I were sat with tears streaming down our faces.

The BBC will be broadcasting My Sarah Jane: A Tribute to Elisabeth Sladen on Saturday night. It will be shown on the CBBC channel at 18:45 which means it starts as soon as the first episode of the new Doctor Who series, The Impossible Astronaut, has finished on BBC One (which will also be dedicated to Lis).

Full details on the BBC Doctor Who site here http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_110420_02/My_Sarah_Jane_A_Tribute_to_Elisabeth_Sladen

I have finally managed to get caught up with Series 5. I do like Matt Smith, he is a very different Doctor from 9 and 10, but rightly so and he brings yet another dimension to the Whoniverse. :D I am still undecided about Amy Pond and indeed Karen, although I already really like Rory, and truly hope they don't waste the talent that is Arthur.

Well, what did people make of the opener last night? I'm posting my comments now I've had time to let it digest, and I must say I thought it was a fantastic start to the season; a firecracker of an episode that hardly came up for breath. I thought Karen acted brilliantly, Matt now suits the role of the Doctor to the ground, and River was brilliant once more. Rory didn't have a lot to do in this episode and I hope we get to see more of him as the series progresses, but the little scene with him and Dr Song where she explained what a relationship with the Doctor is truly like was one of the best in my opinion.

What about The Silence as well; genius monsters in all fairness. Creatures that you can't remember after you've seen them; simple, but a fantastic idea. I guess the real question is how long have they really been there without us noticing? Tempted to watch some of last season back to see if there's an indication of them being around. Also, I thought the budget obviously showed how much of a scale DW is going to be on this year; everything seemed bigger and bolder.

Overall a blistering opening to the series and I'm looking forward to seeing where this season goes to be honest..

I thought the opening episode was utterly surreal with a dull execution, it didn't keep me fixated on the screen at all. Specially in comparison with how exciting next week's episode looks. Enjoyed it all the same though, and I agree Ben about the scene with River Song and Rory - absolutely brilliant. The monsters are pretty awesome too.