Dr Who

Michelle

LOL @ Michelle and Chesil with the nostalgia :roll:

I'm completely and utterly in love with this show. I'm racing through it, but I should be savouring it because I only get to watch it for the first time once...... resisting skipping straight to the final special Tennant did is very difficult though. And avoiding bits on youtube. I saw a bit on youtube after he wrapped that last special, they called him back onto the set and gotten all the crew in and popped some confetti all over him. He got so upset, bless em. I've also watched a few interviews where he talks about leaving. Primarily so I can hear his lovely accent, but also for the info :lol: But I'll be good, and watch it all in order.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm watching the 1996 Doctor Who movie. This post contains random TARDIS facts from the classic series, if for some unfathomable reason you don't want to know, skip this post, but I find them quite interesting. (No plot spoilers.)

Three bits of info I love about about this TARDIS:

- The sign on the front door is white letters printed directly onto the box, rather than a white sign. I think it looks pretty nifty.

- The Eighth Doctor hides a spare key to the TARDIS in a cubbyhole over the letter 'P' in the Police Box sign.

- When asked why it looks like a Police Box, the Doctor answers that it's cloaking device (chameleon circuit) got stuck on that setting on a previous misadventure and he likes it like that :D

I looked all this up and discovered the fault with the circuit is unidentified, but it happened right back in the first series, was later fixed (and the TARDIS turned into a pipe organ, a Welsh dresser and a gateway) during the Sixth Doctor's time, but I get the impression the circuit was still dodgy. Apparently, the Ninth Doctor implies he has become fond of the policebox shape and decided to just leave it (I haven't seen this yet) and he is referring to something he said as the Eighth Doctor in the movie I'm watching, which I just saw. Haha. This is so awesome.

ETA: Most hilarious TARDIS scene ever. I just quickly cut this out of the movie and put it on youtube to show anyone who hasn't seen it (no spoilers) -

Enjoy hahaha. Edited by Nollaig

^ I find it very hard to watch that, it gets so much wrong and I'm actually glad it failed.

Paul McGann is excellent, and it is a real shame he never got to play the Doctor properly in a series made in the UK, but the majority of the rest of it is painful viewing.

If you are looking for good old school Who, check out The Talons of Weng-Chiang or The Caves of Androzani.

I don't know Doctor Who well enough to know what it got wrong, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I whole-heartedly agree about Paul McGann though, he was seriously good. And I think he was hot!! I seem to be alone in this, but I think he was.

Also, to wander off on a tangent..... TARDIS! :D

post-1908-127972304179_thumb.jpg

post-1908-127972304182_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for good old school Who, check out The Talons of Weng-Chiang or The Caves of Androzani.

I don't watch Classic Who as although I did watch it occasionally, I didn't really watch it that much as a kid, and I've never got the same affection for it as New Who, but OH has a few DVDs of old stories because he does love them. I watched The Talons of Weng-Chiang a couple of years ago, and it scared the :D out of me as I've always had a fear of ventriloquists dummies. It's put me off trying anymore, but we also have The Caves of Androzani, so maybe I should give it a go.

(I also can't watch the Third Doctor episodes - not sure if I've mentioned it here before, but I also suffered from terrible nightmares about Worzel Gummidge as a child, and I can't watch Jon Pertwee in anything as a result - what a scaredy cat :lol:)

I'm staring at my very own copy of Tennant's first series of Doctor Who *pets lovingly* Don't be surprised if I sleep with it tonight. :D

I'll be popping it in shortly. Squee!

I finished this set last week. I need the next one now!

I liked Girl In The Fireplace, but I wasn't completely blown away. I adored the Clockwork Men though, I'd love a high-quality doll version of a blue one of those.

Finally watched Blink yesterday, also not my favourite but a very very good episode. I found the angels less creepy than in the episodes where the Eleventh Doctor had to deal with them, but it's possible that was simply because his episodes were the first time I saw them. I was rather impressed by the little paradox towards the end,

where the Doctor was reading from an autocue on camera based on a transcript being written as the dvd was watched.

That was pretty neat.

I'll be finishing Series 3 tonight and moving onto Series 4.

I can't stand Martha. I didn't realise how much I liked Rose as a character until Martha came into it. IMO the only purpose she really serves is to illustrate just how extraordinary a companion Rose was, both by herself and in her relationship with the Doctor.

I liked Girl In The Fireplace, but I wasn't completely blown away. I adored the Clockwork Men though, I'd love a high-quality doll version of a blue one of those.

I think there is a 12" version of that available - try another eBay search!

Guess what I just bought...... the Journal Of Impossible Things!!

It comes with a silly sonic screwdriver pen and Master's ring - but hey, better silly extras than lacking anything!! Squee!!

ETA: @Raven: Oooh okay, will do. Another time. When I'm not already spending 20 quid on something. Sigh. Damn you, Doctor Who!

@Raven: Ahhh you're a star, cheers for that :D

@CW: No problem, I only found it purely by chance when looking for transcriptions of the actual journal in the episode. I didn't think they would have actually printed real copies - but this is Doctor Who, they don't skimp on the merch at all, it seems.

I would just like to add another 'squeeeee!' :D

I've found the quality of the merchandise Character Options pushes out to be very variable. The Journal of Impossible Things does look to be one of the better offerings, but things like the Doctor's (and the Master's) pocket watch, the Master's Ring and some of the sonic screwdrivers they have produced to be very cheap and plastic looking at best.

Okay, so they are primarily intended to be toys, but at the same time I'll wager there are just as many collectors out there buying this stuff up!

My TARDIS is also fantastic quality, considering it IS just a toy. I'm not too keen on the figures, because they're action figures. I hate action figures! I like proper model figures.

The fob watch was another item I'd seen and thought was gorgeous - I know it's plastic but it looks pretty good in photos, and as Michelle's said, she thinks it looks really nice. I'll probably get one eventually. I find with most things rings and other jewelry tend not to be very good though. And as for sonic screwdrivers - I think I'm the only Doctor Who fan who neither has one nor any interest in buying one!

^ Some of the action figures are very good, others not so.

I've only seen the pocket watches in the shop (in their packaging) and the reason I don't like them is that they do look like they are made from plastic (and I just know the weight would be wrong etc - I want a real one, god dammit!).