Dr Who

Michelle

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry to see Tennant going, but he has had a good run - and been a cracking Doctor - and change is the nature of this beast after all.

Some of the names being listed as replacements are frankly laughable - Daniel Radcliffe and Alan Davis?! What?! - what the show needs now is another good actor to follow Eccleston and Tennant, not a comedian or popular celebrity.

The casting of this - I believe - will now be down to Steven Moffat, who is replacing Russell Davis for series five, so we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully it won't be James Nesbitt, but I wouldn't be adverse to Paterson Joseph (they were both in Jekyll, which was written and produced by Moffat).

Catherine tate?

she'd make Dr who go down the pan!

she's terrible

She has stared in Dr who's.

Her becoming the assistant is one of the main reasons I stopped watching - I can't stand her!

I saw him get interviewed on the BBC morning news programme...sigh...be sad to see him go. Don't think he actually wants to go, but says if he doesn't go now, he will still be doing Dr Who when he is 86 :)

I was horrified when it was announced that Catherine Tate would be in it as I'd only ever seen snippets of her as that dreadful 'bovvered' character, but she was absolutely awesome as Donna and I was gutted she was only in one series. :)

Isn`t "The Doctor" meant to have a limited number of changes? (can`t remember what they call it) But what happens when they reach that figure? :)

Yeah, all timelords have 13 regenerations. But this is a number governed by the timelords themselves, the council of time decided thats how many any one Timelord should get. Not sure why, but I think its to stop any one Time lord becomes a menace. Its happened in the past when the first Galifrayan discovered how to regenerate but I forget his name.

Now bear in mind that the master has had several cycles of regnerations.

Yeah, all timelords have 13 regenerations. But this is a number governed by the timelords themselves, the council of time decided thats how many any one Timelord should get. Not sure why, but I think its to stop any one Time lord becomes a menace. Its happened in the past when the first Galifrayan discovered how to regenerate but I forget his name.

You are very knowledgable! are you a keen fan of Doctor Who?

Where does all that come from?

Now they are saying that a front runner to play the doctor is Billie Piper. I will no longer watch if she does. I hated Rose in the last series and cannot see that working at all. Another name mentioned was Tom Ellis (used to be in Eastenders, married to Tamzin Outhwaite).

I wonder how long it will be until we find out. David Tennant is still going to be there for another year.

You do know it's not real, it's a fictional TV show :)

You do know it's not real, it's a fictional TV show :)

Really? I never knew that, thank you for pointing that out.

~~~~~

A lot of the info is given during the 5-6th doctors episodes, more recently the master being resurrected by the Time council to fight the time war as their general.

Don't think he actually wants to go, but says if he doesn't go now, he will still be doing Dr Who when he is 86 :)

And where exactly is the problem with that?! :)

I was dreading Catherine Tate being an assistant, but by the end I was actually sorry to see her go. She settled into her character, and improved a lot.

I was horrified when it was announced that Catherine Tate would be in it as I'd only ever seen snippets of her as that dreadful 'bovvered' character, but she was absolutely awesome as Donna and I was gutted she was only in one series. :blush:

Michelle and Janet, I totally agree. I couldn't stand her at first, but I really warmed to her. I too was gutted when she left and I cried because I felt so sorry for her never being able to remember all the things she'd done. And that's the product of good writing and characterisation - I do know that it's only fiction. But fiction done well should be able to provoke such an emotional response and make you care for the characters as if they were real.

Now they are saying that a front runner to play the doctor is Billie Piper.

That's pure media hype, nothing more.

Tennant was interviewed on breakfast TV earlier in the week and one of the questions put to him, from a selection of e-mailed questions, was whether he could see the Doctor being played by a woman. He answered yes and the immediate follow up was how about Billie Piper? (or words to that effect). David answered with something along the lines of "I don't see why not" and that is where the story came from.

I can't see it happening myself, the Doctor Who production schedule is very intense for nine months of the year and Piper has just had a little boy, I can't see her signing up for the role even if it where offered (which I strongly doubt!).

I wonder how long it will be until we find out. David Tennant is still going to be there for another year.

There is a rumour it will be announced during Children in Need, but that may just be Wogan getting confused on his breakfast show as they are screening a trailer for the Christmas special during the evening, and it's title is called

The Next Doctor

Michelle and Janet, I totally agree. I couldn't stand her at first, but I really warmed to her. I too was gutted when she left and I cried because I felt so sorry for her never being able to remember all the things she'd done. And that's the product of good writing and characterisation - I do know that it's only fiction. But fiction done well should be able to provoke such an emotional response and make you care for the characters as if they were real.

I had concerns about Catherine Tate when she was first announced for The Runaway Bride, but I thought she did a really good job. I wasn't unhappy to see her back, as I think Tate and Tennant play off each other very well.

Ahh, liked DT as Dr Who. Another name being bandied around for a while has been David Morrissey but as he doesn't appear on the Wm Hill list maybe he's ruled himself out.

Perhaps not . . .

ODDS ON NEW DOCTOR FROM PADDY POWER (3rd Nov 2008)

2/1 David Morrisey

6/1 Paterson Joseph

8/1 James Nesbitt, Chiwetel Ejiofor

10/1 Russell Tovey, John Simm

12/1 Anthony Head

14/1 Robert Carlyle, David Walliams

16/1 Richard E Grant

18/1 Richard Coyle, Aidan Gillen, Alan Davies, Sean Pertwee

20/1 Jason Statham, Harry Lloyd, Nigel Harman, Marc Warren, Jack Davenport

25/1 Julian Walsh, Adrian Lester, Alexander Armstrong

33/1 Julian Rhind-Tutt, Rupert Penry-Jones, James McAvoy

40/1 Bill Nighy, Stephen Fry, Ben Wishaw

50/1 John Barrowman, Ben Miles, David Suchet, Hugh Laurie

66/1 Gary Oldman, Matt Smith, Paul Bettany, Joel Beckett, Christopher Eccleston

80/1 Alex Kingston, Dean Lennox Kelly, Christopher Villiers

100/1 Ricky Gervais

150/1 Hugh Grant, Russell Brand, Vinnie Jones

200/1 Robbie Williams

Some of the names on that list are simply laughable –Russell Brand and Robbie Williams?!

They are looking for a good actor, not a celebrity.

Edited by Raven

Well, of that list, I would like any of the following:

- Sean Pertwee (if he would do it, I'd be elated!)

- Alex Kingston (the perfect female candidate!)

- Richard Coyle (just because I fancy him a little bit)

- Anthony Head (he'd be awesome)

- Richard E Grant (who has already voiced the Dr for animation and was apparently in the running with Eccleston for the revamped 1st season)

- Alan Davies (again, because I fancy him just a little bit)

- Jack Davenport (just because he's fab and underexposed)

- Paul Bettany (but I don't think he'd take the role to be honest)

Of the others, Eccleston has already been the Dr, so he's out of the running, John Barrowman is Cpt Jack, so he can't be the Dr and John Sim, I believe, Has played The Master, so he's out too (although any of them would have been lovely!).

The rest of them would have me running in the opposite direction. Well, flipping the channel to something else which is the TV equivalent anyway.

Anthony Head, I believe, has already played a baddie.

Is Alex Kingston the one who played River Song? That would be very difficult to pull off if so.

I wonder where these lists are actually coming from? From people who may know, or just a list of celebs plucked out the air?! lol