Dr Who

Michelle

Me neither. He has managed to turn Doctor Who from something I wouldn't risk recording in case something went wrong and I missed it, to something I wouldn't be at all bothered if I missed.

My mum said exactly the same thing the other day! (And I agreed.)

I've given him a chance to grow on me and he hasn't. He's completely wrong for the role IMO. :blush:

Again, I agree - but there are some who love him in the role.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to disagree Mia and Michelle, Matt Smith has been an excellent Doctor thus far; he nailed it straight out of the box and has been the best and most consistent thing about this new series. The stories have been a bit hit-and-miss, but Smith has been exceptional. Personally, I can't wait to see what they do with the character next year when the writers better understand the way Smith plays the character.

I'm agreeing with Raven and Nollaig. Matt's Doctor is different from Chris and David's but that's only for the good in my mind. I love that he has an aloofness and he's always an outsider, never quite fitting in, unlike the "learning to live again" ninth Doctor, or the "man of the people" tenth Doctor. David will always be my favourite, but I'm certainly not disappointed with Matt.

I thought last nights episode was great. Toby Jones was fabulous, really brought the story together, and the shot at the end where you see his reflection in the console was actually quite chilling. Good stuff. :blush:

^ The Dream Lord is the Valeyard! [/endrabidfanboyspeculation!]

I think the another thing, for those who prefer Tennant over Smith, is that Tennant was the most human Doctor they have probably had. Most of the original Doctors were a lot more eccentric, and I like that Moffat and Smith have bought that aspect back to the character.

:blush: I have no idea who the Valeyard is, but I've heard other people say the same thing this morning!

I think the another thing, for those who prefer Tennant over Smith, is that Tennant was the most human Doctor they have probably had. Most of the original Doctors were a lot more eccentric, and I like that Moffat and Smith have bought that aspect back to the character.

That is absolutely why I prefer Tennant (although I'll qualify that with "... so far") because he was the first Doctor to make me love the programme because I was able to identify and connect with him. However, it did make me appreciate the programme more, and I was able to view Eccleston in a new light too. Matt Smith may yet prove to be my favourite, but that will rely on the wider crew of writers, directors and producers as well as just him, as no matter how good the actor is, without the great stories and highest production values, it will never be great.

He has to be! And maybe seeing him in the reflection in the end means we'll be seeing a bit more of him? Makes me feel quite sorry for the doctor - to see a manifestation of himself saying such awful things about him, and also attacking Amy in the Tardis when the two lads are in the other dream world. It might be his dark side, but it's still an aspect of him, a very insecure one in ways. Makes me wanna huggle him :blush:

i liked yesterday's Who more than the other episodes this series, but i was a little dissapointed with the dream lord turning out to be the The Doctor's self lothing.

it was an excellent opportunity to meet a new enemy that could then pop up later on in the series (which i'm sure he will) but it would have been better if we didnt find out who the dream lord was.

The psychic pollen was a bit of a cop out and the episode could have ended better, with more mystery.

I, like many others am having a bit of a problem with Matt's Doctor. I'll admit, I am a 10 lover, and Tennant will always be my Doctor, but I was really hoping to love 11 as well.

After alot of consideration, i think the problem is that Matt doesnt seem to believe he is the Doctor in the same way as others have.

In order for me to be completely convinced that I am watching a time lord, the actor has to be completely immersed in character, like Tennant was.

Hopefully, it will get better, i was a bit more convinced of Matt's character yesterday than previous episodes.

Still cant stand Amy though. :blush:

I'll be watching the repeat tonight, but I have to say, Matt Smith isn't really doing it for me as The Doctor and I'm finding Amy Pond to be very annoying - I just can't seem to get a grip on her at all. I was disappointed that Rory (the fiance) tagged along inthe Venice episode too, as I didn't think he was much cop either. Like I say, I'll be watching tonight, but so far the cast and the stories haven't really inpsired me and unless something major happens to improve things, it won't be long before I'll not be bothering with it any more, which would be a shame, as I've always loved Doctor Who.

Tennant took a while to grow on me, but there was the advantage of still having Billie Piper on board to tide things over while he got established. Eccleston, for me, had it nailed from the moment he first appeared on the screen and he had a great rapport with Billie and, later on, Cptn Jack Harkness when he appeared.

I think I'll always be a Tom Baker girl at heart (he was "my" Doctor as he was in the role when I first started watching it), but the only Doctor I wasn't fond of on this scale was Colin Baker (who almost completely ruined the show for me - I didn't like him at all!).

I don't like Amy Pond at all. I don't think that she has a good rapport with the Doctor and I don't really care what happens to her. I also don't like the fact that Rory is now tagging along. I liked the storyline, but thought that they took the easy way out at the end.

i liked yesterday's Who more than the other episodes this series, but i was a little dissapointed with the dream lord turning out to be the The Doctor's self lothing.

Well if it turns out to be the Valeyard, it's a decades old 'enemy' who, it was implied, originated with a future (as of yet unseen) regeneration of the Doctor. Timelords are only supposed to be allowed twelve regenerations (thirteen forms) and our boy is on his 10th (eleventh form). So if there was ever a time to bring up the Valeyard, now's as good a time as any.

I don't like Amy Pond at all. I don't think that she has a good rapport with the Doctor and I don't really care what happens to her. I also don't like the fact that Rory is now tagging along. I liked the storyline, but thought that they took the easy way out at the end.

Completely agree with everything you said.

We ended up not bothering with the repeat tonight and I don't think we'll be bothering to pick up again to be honest. Hubby realy doesn't like anyone in the new season and the writing has been, to be perfectly frank, rubbish. I was prepared to give it one more episode, but not all that bothered. So, when he said he'd rather watch another few episodes of Ashes to Ashes instead (which we've just started watching having just finished Life On Mars), I was absolutely fine with that as I realised I'd far rather watch that too.

So, no more Doctor Who for me unless I hear that it's seriously improved. And by that, I mean they have got shot of Amy and her fiance, Matt Smith has become more believeable in the title role, and the writing has tightened up considerably. Until I hear of that happening, the BBC won't find anyone in our flat tuning in to watch.

Sad, really, because The Doctor is something of a National Treasure and I've been a huge fan since I was a little nipper. :blush:

Well if it turns out to be the Valeyard, it's a decades old 'enemy' who, it was implied, originated with a future (as of yet unseen) regeneration of the Doctor. Timelords are only supposed to be allowed twelve regenerations (thirteen forms) and our boy is on his 10th (eleventh form). So if there was ever a time to bring up the Valeyard, now's as good a time as any.

unfortunately, i dont have the faith that any continuity of using such a character will be written in to the story in an entertaining way.

and i think thats one of the major problems, i havent really liked any of the storylines. i've liked the beginnings, and felt they had potential but they haven't ended cleverly enough for me.

:blush:

Anyone still watching other than me?

I loved tonights episode again, and can't wait for part two next week. Not sure if Chris Chibnall has written for Doctor Who in the past, but he has definitely written loads of Torchwood, and I thought the script was really good this week. It really was The Doctor who drove the episode this week, and the small cast were excellent.

Anyone still watching other than me?

Yep.

Not sure if Chris Chibnall has written for Doctor Who in the past

He wrote 42.

I liked this weeks episode, but it could have used a little more humour (it seemed a bit flat without it).

It's all going to hinge on what happens next week though . . .

He wrote 42.

:lol:of course he did.

Don't know if you watched Confidential, but they had 60 minutes of footage to cut down to 45(ish), so there may have been more humour in the script that had to be cut perhaps?

It's always worth judging two-parters after the second part, like you said, but I thought there were a couple of little nuggets in there, so I'm not too disappointed.

I quite enjoyed tonight's episode. Even you-know-who seemed slightly less annoying than usual. But that doesn't mean I'm warming to him. No way.

I like Amy (but please put some jeans on at some point in the series) and I like Rory - I don't find them irritating as some do.

I like Amy (but please put some jeans on at some point in the series) and I like Rory - I don't find them irritating as some do.

I thought that tonight and then remembered yesterday I was wearing shorts shorter than hers so can't complain :D.

Awww I like Rory, I think hes sweet! :lol: I think something big might be coming up with him though, I don't know why but it would be awesome if he wasn't what he seems :D.