A Painted Veil By W Somerset Maugham

Nellie

A Painted Veil By W Somerset Maugham

Well, I've finnished another book which I thought would be nice to share with you. This one is set in China in the 18th Century. A newly married English couple arrive in China. She has an affair with a British offical, and her husband finds out. To punish her he packs them both off to northern china where there is a cholera epidemic. He's a doctor and wants to help, but in doing so exposes both of them to a high risk of catching the disease and certain death. It's an interesting perspective and describes from the woman's point of view her awakening from her shallow upbringing to what really matters in the world.

8/10

I really want to read some more Maugham, has anyone got any recommendations?

I'm a huge fan of all things Maugham. You can't go wrong with any of his books, but if you're looking for something shorter, try THE MOON AND SIXPENCE. Fantastic. It's a fictionalized story of his relationship with Gauguin.

OF HUMAN BONDAGE is absolutely wonderful, and arguably one of the great character studies in literature, but it's a chunk to chew off if you're just getting up and running on Maugham.

I have The Painted Veil in my TBR stack, but saw the film, oh I guess about 6 months ago, and loved it. Has anyone both read the book and seen the film? And if so how do they compare?

They compare quite favorably. Curran did a great job capturing Maugham's sensibility, and Ed Norton had an affinity for the book that certainly influenced his performance.

A thumbs up from me!

:) derek the movie was excellent and edward norton had made a brilliant performance of the movie he played his part well.