Philippa Gregory - The Other Boleyn Girl

Kell

The Other Boleyn Girl

Author: Philippa Gregory

ISBN # 0006514006

Publisher: Harper Collins

1st Published: 2001

529 Pages

Mary Boleyn catches the eye of Henry VIII when she comes to court as a girl of fourteen. Dazzled by the golden prince, Mary

I'm starting to really get into historical fiction.

Ditto that crispychez. My mum loaned me The Other Boleyn Girl a while back and I ended up getting the rest of Ms Gregorys books and other historical fiction authors books too. Philippa particularly though, has done fantastic research into her 'facts', so although written in the fictional sense, you have no doubts that alot of these things did happen, or were said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Great review Kell. I finished reading this book last night and it is the first book I have read by Philippa Gregory. I have to say I enjoyed this book and found it very difficult to put down as there was always so much happening.

I did find myself being able to sympathise with Mary as she is constantly being used and put down.

I found myself feeling quite maternal when Mary was pining for her children and was so happy when she fell in love with William Stafford :D

Wonderful book and I can't wait to read more by Philippa Gregory!

I love this book....Great review Kell!

It's a really interesting way to learn our history which I didn't really enjoy at school :D I've since read the Boleyn Inheritance and found that to be equally fantastic.

I have read all of the Tudor book sby P.G. (except The White Queen that has just been released) and I have to say TOBG is my favourite. I remember reading it and being completely captured by the story. I have always loved the tudors and found these books a great fun way to learn a little bit more :D

I saw the White Queen in Waterstones the other day. I didn't have time to look at it so I wasn't sure if it was part of the Tudor novels.

When reading The Other Boleyn Girl I just couldn't believe how much power Anne Boleyn's Uncle had. It was like a giant game of chess to him....making sure that everyone was in position so if one person lost favour with the King, another person could be in place to take over.

I saw the White Queen in Waterstones the other day. I didn't have time to look at it so I wasn't sure if it was part of the Tudor novels.

When reading The Other Boleyn Girl I just couldn't believe how much power Anne Boleyn's Uncle had. It was like a giant game of chess to him....making sure that everyone was in position so if one person lost favour with the King, another person could be in place to take over.

I know. It is hard to believe that he held so much power and those poor girls had no say in what they could do with their lives.

I think it is safe to say that he destroyed Anne

The White Queen is the first book in a series of three (don't know when the others are coming out but very exciting) focusing on the war of the roses. I know very little about that part of tudor history so I am really harasssing my local library into getting a copy :lol:

The White Queen is the first book in a series of three (don't know when the others are coming out but very exciting) focusing on the war of the roses. I know very little about that part of tudor history so I am really harasssing my local library into getting a copy :D

I did not know that this would be a Trilogy! Great, some more Tudors to look forward to. I must say, these books have really fascinated me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Absolutely, i will Maureen :D. Had a look at Phillipa Gregory's official website. Very classy, i must say :D. I'll be reading them in order, so i'll kick-off with 'The Constant Princess'. She's written many 'Tudor' books among others. How many of these have you read? :lol:

I've read all of Philippa Gregory's Tudor books and they are really good. Some are better than others but they are a great way to learn about such an interesting period in history ;)