Philippa Gregory - The Other Boleyn Girl

Kell

Hi all

Finished reading this over Christmas and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought... really got me engrossed, would have read it at the table whilst having my dinner but was too busy playing chase the sprout.....

Really beautifully written and a great glimpse at times gone by :friends0:

x

• 1 month later...

PG's TOBG was given to me by my dad who found it discarded after a car boot sale. Once read, never forgotten! I was obscenely hooked and have now believe I have read all of PG's Tudor novels. Of course, this has now developed into a love of the tudor period, the lifestyle, social and political history of the time. I see no sign of this love waning, because there is so much out there to be read!

Hooray for Gregory!

PG's TOBG was given to me by my dad who found it discarded after a car boot sale. Once read, never forgotten! I was obscenely hooked and have now believe I have read all of PG's Tudor novels. Of course, this has now developed into a love of the tudor period, the lifestyle, social and political history of the time. I see no sign of this love waning, because there is so much out there to be read!

Hooray for Gregory!

Same here! I've since bought books about Henry VIIIs wives, other Kings and Queens of England and the Elizabethan House of Commons. It's all so interesting :D

I'm thinking of starting the Virgin's Lover soon :D

I'm the same. Reading this book made me buy the Henry VIII dvd with Ray Winstone (which I highly recommend), the Elizabeth I series is with Helen Mirren and a book on the Tudors in general. I'm also going to buy the Tudors BBC series when the DVD gets a touch cheaper :D Henry VIII really facsinates me, as does Elizabeth I. Not sure I would want to live during those times though :(

Same here! I've since bought books about Henry VIIIs wives, other Kings and Queens of England and the Elizabethan House of Commons. It's all so interesting :D

I'm thinking of starting the Virgin's Lover soon :(

The Virgin's Lover is absolutely superb...you'll love it.

The wonderful thing about historical fiction is that you easily and comfortably get a feel for the period. It's this feeling that initially drew me in, after that I became obsessed with the actual period and had to look at books which are historical fact. I am now officially an addict. I like to read the fiction and watch the DVDs and then compare them with what is perceived to actually happen. Fascinating.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished TOBG last week. I don't think I've read a 600+ page book as fast as this one. It was my first introduction to Gregory and now I am hooked. She really brings her characters to life and makes the reader really engage with them. I could actually feels Anne's exhaustion and Mary's defeatist personality - she had no choice really than to please everyone.

How lucky we women are today! :smile2:

• 2 months later...

I read that book in French and I must say Philippa Gregory's "The other Boleyn girl" is the reason why I'm now completely fond of Anne Boleyn <3 This book was really amazing !

As Readwine said, she really brings her characters to life ! That's exactly what I felt too.

And the fact that there are so many dialogues it keeps your attention I think :)

It was a real pleasure to discover a very little part of the Tudor Dynasty through that book ;)