Paul's Reading Through the Decades Challenge

Paul

Janet, Pontalba,

Silas Marner was my intro to George Eliot also -- after I gave up on Middlemarch.  Now I am glad I continued on to Deronda (even as I still wonder about Middlemarch).  Maybe Deronda has a more modern introspective and psychological ring about it.  Deronda himself certainly has a crisis of conscience in trying to figure out who he is, and comes up with a very modern solution.

Edited by Paul

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Janet, on 12 Jun 2014 - 4:52 PM, said:Janet, on 12 Jun 2014 - 4:52 PM, said:

Thanks.  :)  I've just downloaded it to my Kindle.

I hope you have been enjoying it, or maybe have finished it already. (I haven't been around here in a while.)

But I am getting my Decades Challenge back on the rails after having taken time out to read three modern and unsatisfying novels with rather unscrupulous characters, all of whom succeed in getting on with their lives.

Anyway, I decided to get back to good old Victorian moral values and re-started Waverly by Sir Walter Scott, from about 1810.  Boy is that a blast from the past: archaic language and pompous sentences that run on forever!  But I have put the Jeep in low-low gear and I am slowly pushing forward through the underbrush.  Interesting to read a modern-sounding discussion of the different kinds of students there are and the different means by which one might try to catch their attention and get them educated.  Also interesting to note that the hero, young Edward Waverly likes reading, and ends up very widely read but with only superficial understanding.  We'll see where that leads him in life.  Not like a typical hero.

So, I'm back at the book and calling it "interesting," even though my co-reader spouse can't stand the excerpts I have read to her and says they put her to sleep. :D

We shall see.  But it would be another notch toward completing the Challenge, and hopefully this year.

Edited by Paul