Yes and yes, that is the story,

The full title page of my Bantam Edition shows

Magister Ludi

(The Glass Bead Game)

Hermann Hesse

TRANSLATED FROM THE GERMAN

DAS GLASPERLENSPIEGEL

by Richard and Clare Wilson

The reverse of the page says that Magister Ludi was recently published as The Glass Bead Game -- a Bantam book -- and was originally published in Germany under the title Das Glasperlenspiegel, copywright 1943.

I have one of the multiple Bantam translated printings that began in 1970 (after a first Holt edition in 1969). Mine is the fifteenth printing - June 1986.

So, yup, The Glass Bead Game has apparently been around in English for quite a while under one title or the other. Not bad for a game that I understand is not atually described in detail anywhere.

:tong:

Nevertheless, I am on page 9 now and completely intrigued by the writing and about where the story of those "moderns" and their ideas might lead.

What were your reactions?

Edited by Paul

Kylie,

Thanks for the link. I'm on p31 now and right in line with your reactions. :tong:

But I too am caught and will follow it to the end, slowly but surely. His comments on us unenlightened pre-modern ones are vicious and hilarious at the same time.

• 2 months later...
Yes, they are quite vicious! I felt about two inches tall reading it, and very stupid and shallow :lol:

Oops, Kylie, Just got back here. :lol: Got diverted from both Magister Ludi and checking the forum. As for stupid, I'm no stupider now than before he called my attention to it, so I don't mind too much. :lol: Everyone has their opinions and I'm still the me I have been happy with for quite a while now. So I'll stick with mine.

Just swung by to add a Trollope for the 1880's -- the shortest Trollope I could find on the library shelf. Maybe I'll get to read it soon, famous last words though they may be.

This is definitely proving to be a challenge list for the books I have the greatest trouble getting around to reading. There is always a new story attracting my attention and bumping everything else one step further down the pile. :blush:

Wishing you and everyone else here a Very Happy New Year

May you all read many books

Paul

Edited by Paul

• 5 months later...
Completed Elizabeth Costello by J.M.Coetzee. And also 2666 by Roberto Bolano, in case I hadn't mentioned. "Slow and steady" did it for both of them.

I only managed the first half of 2666. Good going to finish it! I have a couple more of Bolano's on the shelf, I'm wondering if they are of the same ilk as 2666.

One of these days I'll get to them..... :D;)

Finally slotted in The Great Gatsby, for 1925 in the Roaring Twenties, my first Fitzgerald read. This Side of Paradise and Tender is the Night still remain on the list unread, but now I look forward to them. Don't know why it has taken me so long to get around to reading Fitzgerald. :blush:

Unfortunately, I have bogged down in vol 2 of Your Face Tomorrow by Javier Marias. Just too slow, and I am going to need the help of the challenge list to drag me through. So I have added all three volumes for the 2000 decade, the first volume being already completed.

Also in the category of "bogged down," Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent has bored me to a standstill. So it also goes on the list. I hope the listing helps.

But, eager to get the current decade started, I just added David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet to the list. After enjoying Cloud Atlas so much, I can't imagine any difficulty buying and finishing this new novel of his, so perhaps it shouldn't be on my challenge list of books I have trouble getting around to. But I couldn't resist, not after seeing the NYT review just now. I'm hungry for the check mark in the new decade. :roll:

Edited by Paul

• 3 years later...

Hi, All! Checking back in after long time gone.

American Pastoral is definitely worth the read and I hope some here have gotten around to it.

As for my own updates, I've only completed volumes 2 and 3 of Javier Marias' Your Face Tomorrow.  Slow, but good.

All of my other good intentions on the list, including even those marked "Started" or "In progress," remain unfinished.  Oh everlasting shame!

I continue reading, but even more continually getting diverted.

Currently reading Bleeding Edge by Pynchon, not my favorite author up to now after many failed starts. So maybe I'll add him to the list when I complete.

Oh, I'm so glad you've resurrected this thread!  :flowers2:

Many thanks!  So am I.  It reminds me of reading I have been neglecting.

It looks like I'm going to be finishing Bleeding Edge - finally! - so I'll put it up there as Not complete and then shift it to Completed when I do.  It is the first Pynchon I have been able to complete after trying all of his novels and putting them down.  So this milestone will finally make it to the list, even though it is not the most satisfying book I have ever read. Or maybe because it is not the most satisfying book I ever read.

Stay tuned. :)

Edit:  It was a chore to finish, despite occasionally brilliant writing.  Beautiful peaks, but many long dreary valleys.

Edited by Paul

Julie, Frankie, Many thanks for your welcomes.  It is good to be back and have people notice, although I think this particular thread will change only very slowly. :(

In general I am reading lighter more interesting things these days - or so it seems.  Pynchon was a duty because my impressions of him are so out of step with his many rabid fans.  Now I have my own opinion of his writing.

Edited by Paul

Many thanks!  So am I.  It reminds me of reading I have been neglecting.

It looks like I'm going to be finishing Bleeding Edge - finally! - so I'll put it up there as Not complete and then shift it to Completed when I do.  It is the first Pynchon I have been able to complete after trying all of his novels and putting them down.  So this milestone will finally make it to the list, even though it is not the most satisfying book I have ever read. Or maybe because it is not the most satisfying book I ever read.

Stay tuned. :)

Edit:  It was a chore to finish, despite occasionally brilliant writing.  Beautiful peaks, but many long dreary valleys.

(bolding above is mine)

I well know it was a chore!  But the bits you read out loud to me were both interesting and occasionally very funny.  I just wish that Pynchon would devote himself to simply writing, and not digress into politically motivated, paranoid rants.  It seemed a book to me, from what I heard, of extremes.  Beautiful and articulate prose that degenerates either into rants or swipes at ethnic groups.  Back handed stuff. 

Oh, well.  What is next? :D

I well know it was a chore!  But the bits you read out loud to me were both interesting and occasionally very funny.  I just wish that Pynchon would devote himself to simply writing, and not digress into politically motivated, paranoid rants.  It seemed a book to me, from what I heard, of extremes.  Beautiful and articulate prose that degenerates either into rants or swipes at ethnic groups.  Back handed stuff. 

Oh, well.  What is next? :D

Hi Pontalba :D

That is a fair summary. Thanks for it. There are many Jewish Mother jokes and allusions among the characters, for example.  None are very original.  They are mainly stereotypical, which gets old fast IMO. 

Edit: In fairness, this book is about New York and this emphasis is no doubt intended to highlight one aspect of New York's multi-ethnic population.  His humor in other books I have sampled is differently based as far as I remember, although some of it is also pretty "low.".

Edited by Paul

Paul

You have some good reading ahead. I know what you mean about the challenges taking a long time to complete. I've started a few in here myself ,and don't seem to be very good at sticking to a firm list of books. I do better if I just yank one out that sounds good at the time and start reading it . :)

Anyhow, I've read a few on your list :

The Rosamunde Pilcher books-- I've read them all and they are all good, but at different levels. Her beginning books ,you can tell they were beginner because of the size, content etc. She progresses nicely throughout time . Shell Seekers was dry the first few pages, but well worth the read .My favorite of hers was Coming Home.. Beautiful book ,and the most intricate of her books .

Gatsby -- not sure why, but I was never much impressed by it . The writing was good. I guess the story itself didn't do much for me .

An American Tragedy - now this was a book .. Quite the challenge for me to complete . It was an A Plus book . The story behind it is definitely tragic ,based closely on a true murder .Dreiser was probably the original writer of a  "true-crime novel " ,as Truman Capote liked to call his "In Cold Blood" .

They were definitely completely different stories ,with the size, the approach to the crime ,the way it was explained, etc .. Dreiser's book would probably weigh in at around 800 pages, and is written more like the old books back then were, everything very intricately described ,where Truman's book is more modern in its size and telling ,and the emotion of the event is much more clear ,than is Dreisers' .

Anyhow it's definitely a good book and well worth the time .

I may be among the minority on Gone With the Wind. I liked the book, but it was too "sappy" for me in places. I've never read up much on Mitchell and what her intentions were about the book, if it was meant to be a book about the Civil War or a Romance .If she was aiming for the War, she missed the mark in my opinion . I thought there was way too much romance , and namby-pamby things about the personal lives of the characters . I like to think that her intention was to explain how a wealthy family was affected by the War in general, so if that was her aim, then job well done .

Housekeeping was slim, not a challenge to read, a story well told .

Owen Meany is in my top 10, possibly my all time favorite book. Terrific story you'll never forget .

Irving is a magical writer .

The Turow book was very good, especially if you like lawyer/courtroom type books, his are on the mark, not littered with a bunch of unbelievable characters, they seem to be taken from real life, but I don't think any of his books were based on true cases to my knowledge.

Last but not  least, I HAVE Midnight's Children , due to someone on here recommending it ,and I am excited to read it at some point. I just have so many good books stacked up now that I have no idea what direction to go next !

Good luck with your challenge ,and enjoy !

Julie,

I hadn't expected such a harvest of good advice.  Motivation is indeed what I need and you have provided it.  And good ideas for rearrangement.  I already like John Irving and many have shared your high regard for Owen Meany.  I'll see about shifting the Rosamund Pilcher.  Some others I will still have to take a deep breath before starting, even though I know they are on the general "ought to have read" list of literary books.

Many many thanks for sharing. :)

Paul

Edited by Paul

Paul

No problem, I enjoy yakking about the books I've read . I need to work hard this coming year on reading more ,and wasting time with ___??____ I have no clue . I really don't have a busy life  ,so I'm not sure how I waste my time, but I believe that will be the coming year's resolution : READ MORE .

Sounds simple ,doesn't it ?    :)

I'm not sure what type of reader you are. I sometimes go on a streak where I read several by one author, or one subject at a time, then move on to something else . But some people would rather sprinkle a challenging read in between some easier ones .

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Irving book. I have Cider House Rules ,which I have started multiple times and can't quite push myself through a bit in the beginning that is a little graphically suggestive ? I'm not sure that'd be the proper terms, but some books might have an event or description in the beginning that hits you between the eyes or knocks you for a loop ,so it takes a lot of fortitude to plow on through them and keep reading .

There's one book that was like that and I am SO glad I kept on reading it . I bought it out in hardback when it was 25 bucks, so I feel more like I HAVE to read a book if I spend that much money on it .

I Know This Much Is True  by Wally Lamb ... WOW . It starts with a horribly graphic event . I put the book down . Cannot DO this ...

But, you spent 25 BUCKS .   READ -------THE--------BOOK .

So, I kept on . Laid it down at times ,but left it right where I saw it, so kept picking it up . The end was absolutely one of the most touching endings of any book I've read. I think it's one of those that you read at just the right time in your life that touches you at a time when you need the book . ( If that makes sense )

Edited by julie

HI Julie,

Glad to see you again.

I have a long list of TBRs, and a long list of deferred . . . and also a (much shorter) list of abandoned -- there really are some that deserve it.

There are always books here within reach, plus suggestions from my wife, and very recent purchases (We buy more than we can read).

So all I have to do is grab any one that strikes my fancy.  It's like a candy store.  In many ways like a bookstore, now that I think of it.

But still always the question, what to read?  I would grab the Lamb if I could find it; it's on the shelves someplace.  Ditto Owen Meany.

Just now staring at the shelves above my desk, looking for Pilcher.  Dimmy!!! I bought End of Summer last night for Kindle!  So that will get started today.  Mind like a sieve! :(

Haven't had my coffee yet, so I am still sort of vague. 

May also pick up a tree book and continue reading a couple at a time, until one really strikes my fancy and then I'll concentrate on finishing it.

It was a grind doing Bleeding Edge -- probably now my last and only Pynchon for a long long while. So, right now I'm looking for something lighter. 

Eeeny, meeny . . . . :D

Have fun

Paul

Edited by Paul