Paul's Reading Through the Decades Challenge

Paul

Julie, Gone With the Wind is one of my favorites, but I can see your point.  When did you first read it?  I think that makes a difference.....I was quite young, probably around 11 or 12 the first time.  I've reread numerous times, and each time it's different, and I see things and parallels that I'd not noticed before.  I'll find an old review where I compared it, and post on my book thread. 

Ok, My honey, Paul, Now you've had your coffee. :D  So, what's the verdict?  :readingtwo:

Yup, too many books, (ha ha) and no filing system.  /sigh/   One of these days..........oh, that's a song, yeah?  :giggle2:

Edited by pontalba

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, My honey, Paul, Now you've had your coffee. :D  So, what's the verdict?  :readingtwo:

Yup, too many books, (ha ha) and no filing system.  /sigh/   One of these days..........oh, that's a song, yeah?  :giggle2:

Oh, right!  I forgot about no filing system :(  but otherwise like a bookstore. And of books preselected that we know we would like to read.

Verdict?  None yet, but thinking of By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept, or your recent strong recommendation: The House of Sand and Fog.

The former sounds lighter (love story, and NY locale I think.).  And quicker to slide in for one more completion this year :D

Your Paul

Edit:  Or maybe The Penultimate Truth by P K Dick that I just saw.

Edited by Paul

Much lighter, The House of Sand and Fog was truly heartbreaking.  Similar to watching a train crash and topple over in slow motion.  You know there'll be casualties, just not sure how many, or how fatal. 

I love the cover on By Grand Central Station I sat Down and Wept.....and the quote from Angela Carter...."Like Madame Bovary blasted by lightening......a masterpiece."  Whoa!!

Your kate.

Edited by pontalba

Julie, Gone With the Wind is one of my favorites, but I can see your point.  When did you first read it?  I think that makes a difference.....I was quite young, probably around 11 or 12 the first time.  I've reread numerous times, and each time it's different, and I see things and parallels that I'd not noticed before.  I'll find an old review where I compared it, and post on my book thread. 

GWTW is good ,no disagreement with that  !   I'm sure it took a long time to write and research, etc ... I guess I'm just odd about books .. I really don't like romance in books, so just felt that Mitchell leaned a bit too heavily on the romance side of things . I understand that it would have naturally been a part of it ,considering the age of Scarlet, etc  most of the main characters were in the age range where romance would have been an important thing in their lives .

I always think I choose books that more men than ladies would like, because I would rather read about the battles, the soldiers, etc ... Like Oldest Living Confederate Widow Tells All. I think I mentioned it before, but can't remember if you said you had read it or not . I bet you HAVE it ( since you have the equivalent of 3 of our TOWN libraries in your house ) :)

Anyhow, it had a nice mix for what I like. It told a lot more of the specific battles, the lives of the soldiers, ,but mainly told from the viewpoint of old Lucy Marsden, (the above named person in the title). She told the story from her viewpoint, being married to someone who was in and came home from the war, so it was interesting hearing how that had affected their lives and so many friends and family's lives . I suppose it had a small bit of romance in a way ( like when they got married), but it was a romance tinged with Vinegar . Not a really happy marriage, more one of "we are married now, so I can't get out ". That's sorta the attitude you get from Lucy, although her husband probably wouldn't have felt that way .

Back to your question, I read GWTW maybe 15 years ago ? I never kept records of books read that far back . It really wasn't the writing, it was good, the framework of the story was good, I just thought there were too many "mushy parts" and not enough soldiers and horses ,etc.

Since it is a favorite of yours, would you know what Mitchell's original idea for it was ? Did she want to make it into a romance, did she want to show how the War changed and destroyed lives as it did ? Or to show what a young couple in that time would have possibly dealt with  during their early younf=g lives ? I guess if I knew more of what her reasoning was, or what point she wanted to make, I'd understand more .

I'll go over to your thread to see your review and talk more over there about it !!!

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Paul  !!! 

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Paul  !!! 

Not no worry 'bout hijackin mah thread, Julie. :D  A thread without conversation is a pore lonesome thing indeed. :(

By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept arrived yesterday.

End of Summer onto my kindle yesterday also.

Now I'm set. :)

Oh, right!  I forgot about no filing system :(  but otherwise like a bookstore.

Your Paul

You two are gorgeous! :flowers2: 

Welcome back from me too, Paul :friends0:

You two are gorgeous! :flowers2: 

Welcome back from me too, Paul :friends0:

Many thanks, Poppy.  She's gorgeous anyway. :D

And thanks for the welcome.  It has been a long time since olden days, hasn't it?

Glad to see you.

Just extended the front of the list to the 1850's by adding Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary (1857) -- appropriate enough since Wikipedia and James Wood say that modern realist fiction begins with Flaubert.

Now to read it! :D

Just extended the front of the list to the 1850's by adding Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary (1857) -- appropriate enough since Wikipedia and James Wood say that modern realist fiction begins with Flaubert.

Now to read it! :D

Ahhh, to find it!  :P  :giggle2:

Nice to meet you, Paul / Charles. I have to admit I didn't know who you were until someone posted about it :blush2:, then again I only joined in 2013 so.. Happy Reading :)!

Hi Athena,

Glad to meet you. :)

When we were first on here we weren't married and used different names. It helped preserve our personal privacy then.  Now the names have stuck, which is why the confusion.  Sorry.

Glad to hear from you.

Paul

Hi Athena,

Glad to meet you. :)

When we were first on here we weren't married and used different names. It helped preserve our personal privacy then.  Now the names have stuck, which is why the confusion.  Sorry.

Glad to hear from you.

Paul

x

No problem, glad to meet you :)!

Hey Julie,

Just finished The End of Summer by Rosamunde Pilcher and then solved my quandary about what to read next. 

End of Summer was a nice romance, easy to read, with a happy ending.   Coming Home will be next

Started Henry James' The Wings of the Dove.  Ah the wonderful sentences!  My first exposure to him and I am hooked immediately -- the kind of writing I like. :)

But, suddenly, inspiration struck and I downloaded The Wings of the Morning by Louis Tracy to my Kindle.  Right alongside Wings of the Dove, and published only a year later in the same decade. 1900's.

Wings of the Morning was the second book I ever read, many years ago, selected right off my mother's shelf.  It has sentimental memories for me and I've been hoping to reread it for quite some time.  And now is the time!  Another very pleasant easy-to-read romance (of the which I am a pushover for :) )

So it sounds like a holiday season for romance. :D

Edited by Paul

Paul

I'm glad you enjoyed the Pilcher book . Most of her earlier ones are like that . As she got older, her books became longer with more of a convoluted story line . Shell Seekers was one of my favorites , although it starts out really dry . Coming Home was a gem. I loved it .

As for Henry James, I hate to say it, but I have yet to read any of his books . I'm really glad you found the other that reminds you so much of your mom's books and good memories from long ago. Always good to find a book that will do that .

It sounds like you will be in a wonderful holiday spirit this week .  :)

I've read a few by Pilcher, Winter Solstice was the last one I believe.  I thought it was well done.

Don't worry, Julie, I haven't read Henry James either.  Yet. :)  One day, one day. :blush2:

Started Henry James' The Wings of the Dove.  Ah the wonderful sentences!  My first exposure to him and I am hooked immediately -- the kind of writing I like. :)

I haven't read it, but I have seen the excellent film with Helena Bonham Carter and Linus Roache, and have always meant to read the book too. I have read Washington Square which I thought was very good, and intend to read more of his writing in the future, I just have to find more reading time!

Hi Paul (Charles)  :006: I don't know how come I haven't bumped into you before  :confused: .. where's Kate been hiding you? :D 

Glad you're getting on with Henry James .. I couldn't and we're not friends but I can see how other people might ... he doesn't write for dimwits which unfortunately puts me at a disadvantage  :giggle: That said I've only read two so it's a bit early to be giving up on him but he did fairly wrestle me to the ground with The Ambassadors and I've still got the bruises so until they fade I'm avoiding him  :D

Hi all: Poppy, Julie, ChesilBeach, Pontalba,

Henry James sounds like The Great White Whale! The one nobody can finish without a tussle. :D

Well, that's why he is on my list.

And yes,I've heard horrible things about his sentences, but the first few pages of Wings of the Dove aren't so bad -- long, slow and convoluted, but not absolutely totally impossible. /rolleyes/

And, truth to tell, Washington Square was recommended to me as a "starter" Henry James. So maybe I'll look at it.

Now that I have finished Louis Tracy's Wings of the Morning, a thrilling romance, maybe there is time to squeeze in one more book this year.

Hope you all have happy holidays and a great New Year.

Paul

Edited by Paul