Engleby by Sebastian Faulks

Janet

032-2008-Oct-11-Engleby.jpg

Engleby by Sebastian Faulks

The 'Blurb'

Mike Engleby has a secret

This is the story of Mike Engleby, a working-class boy who wins a place at an esteemed English university. But with the disappearance of Jennifer, the undergraduate Engleby admires from afar, the story turns into a mystery of gripping power. Sebastian Faulks's new novel is a bolt from the blue, unlike anything he has ever written before: contemporary, demotic, heart-wrenching - and funny, in the deepest shade of black.

Two days after finishing this book I still don't really know what to write in terms of a review!

The story begins with Mike Engleby starting at university. He looks back at his school days, where he was first bullied and then became the bully - and from then it is written in chronological order. It seems obvious that he is involved with Jennifer's disappearance but the story builds slowly moving away from university and to Mike's working life until it reaches its conclusion.

It is difficult to have empathy with the central character in this book who seems to lack social skills and relies heavily on drugs to get him through life. His relationship with his parents has always been distant, and although he's quite close to his younger sister, even that bond seems awkward.

It's well-written and though provoking. I felt that in places it was slightly long-winded - although that didn't make it less enjoyable. It's certainly been on my mind since I finished it, which I think is a good sign!

The paperback is 342 pages long and is published by Vintage. The ISBN number is 978-009945872.

7/10

(Read October 2008)

I thought this was a really well-written, absorbing book. True, Mike Engleby is an unknown quantity but that - for me - was what worked so well. The growing certainty that something was not quite right with him and his version of the story was thoroughly enjoyable.

The settings of Cambridge in the seventies and then London in the early eighties were very well done too, plenty of atmosphere and absolutely authentic reactions to them from Engleby.

I've read plenty of Sebastian Faulks' previous novels, and I'd say this was different from his usual style but one of the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Sebastian Faulks and have read and loved all his other books. However i did not finish this book which is something i very rarely do. Engleby just didn't grab me at all.

The book remonded me of Catcher In The Rye, which is another book i did not like.

This in no way diminishes Faulkes in my eyes, he is still one of my favourite authors.

• 1 year later...

The settings of Cambridge in the seventies and then London in the early eighties were very well done too, plenty of atmosphere and absolutely authentic reactions to them from Engleby.

This sounds like a book I might enjoy. I recently heard Birdsong on BBC radio and wanted to read something by this author, so I will definitely look for this!