What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no desire to read books by politicians or autobiographies by the "famous". There are too many other books that I would rather read and time does not permit them all.

And now pontalba has me reading an autobiography. :oops:

Ah, but what an autobiography! LOL No politician our Vladimir! :D

• 1 month later...

I won't read Barbara Taylor bradford or josephine cox, mills n boon etc... but i have been known to read a Catherine Coookson and they never disappoint they are excellent. My favourite is " the cultured Handmaid". Very powerful! will stay with you for ever.

I joined this forum to have my hozirons broadened / expanded. So, although there are books that I shy away from, if pressed I would read them or attempt them. I would never in a million years have picked up Kelley Armstrong before meeting Kell. Werewolves! No way! But I've read two now and love them. Likewise, something like Cold Granite, Stuart MacBride, would have been a no-no, but again, I loved it. And I don't think you can say for certain, until you've opened a book and at least read the first chapter, or two.

But thats me...I have alot of catching up to do, whereas some of you are much better read and better able to comment.

:):roll::lol:

PP:006:

I always wondered who actually read the Mills and Boon books. :lol:

Liz's Nan and my mum read 'Mills and Boons', my mum particular favourites were the hospital based ones, where the doctor discovers he is in love with the nurse whilst treating some bunions...:smile2:

I think its the predictability that people like. I have to admit to reading a few about twenty years ago, when I was very depressed. I just wanted something that was light, (couldn't be much fluffier) and that had a positive end. It stopped me lying on my bed crying, for nothing in particular as is the wont of depression. I have always felt grateful to M&B for that, but I have to say I have never felt I wanted to read another one!!!

And at the end of the day, if it gets a teenage girl who normally doesn't read, reading a book, who knows what she might advance to later??

Well, you can hope...

• 1 year later...

I am trying to broaden my reading horizons but there are a few books I know I will never read ~

Lord of the Rings - too much hype, too much fantasy

James Patterson - it just bugs me he has 14 books out each year, he doesnt write them so why is his name on the cover?

Ghost Written Celeb 'novels' - as above.

Biographies and Autobiographies on Z list 18 year old 'celebs'

Torey Hayden - or any other stories of my tortured childhood type books, been there read that and got the snotty hanky to prove it

Catherine Cookson, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Danielle Steele and the like - ad infinitum

Mills & Boon

Westerns

Sci Fi

There that feels better! Have I left anything to read? ;)

Kx

I think its the predictability that people like. I have to admit to reading a few about twenty years ago, when I was very depressed. I just wanted something that was light, (couldn't be much fluffier) and that had a positive end. It stopped me lying on my bed crying, for nothing in particular as is the wont of depression. I have always felt grateful to M&B for that, but I have to say I have never felt I wanted to read another one!!!

And at the end of the day, if it gets a teenage girl who normally doesn't read, reading a book, who knows what she might advance to later??

Well, you can hope...

Susie, I understand exactly what you mean. When I was depressed I read the likes of Miss Read, books that were very safe and nice, I think it gives you a sense of security.

There's not a lot I won't read, but generally I try to stay away from romance, westerns, and post-modernism. Mostly it's just a taste thing. I have no interest in the Old West, so westerns are definitely not my thing. Romances just don't appeal to me at all, and I feel like a voyeur reading those explicit sex scenes. And I had a really bad experience with Demonology by po-mo writer Rick Moody. I got the feeling he was trying too hard to be different, and that because I just didn't get it, I was meant to feel stupid. Whatever. Just not my thing.

Nothing, I'm very open minded and always willing to try something - it's the only way you can discover great new reads. Having said that, if I have tried a particular author a few times and hated every book, I won't keep on reading that person's work. John Irving is getting one more chance from me. Let's hope "Cider House Rules," is better than oweny meany and the world according to garp.

John Irving is getting one more chance from me. Let's hope "Cider House Rules," is better than oweny meany and the world according to garp.

It is. A lot better. ;)

Jilly Cooper is my bete noir!!! I wont touch any of hers now.

I have nibbled at horror. I once read a James Herbert one about a cottage in a wood and it scared me to death, so I avoid him. I have always avoided Stephen King, but seen some of the films made from his books, so I do intend to try him at some time in the future.

There is nothing I stubbornly refuse to read. I choose, for example not to read much womens' fiction, celeb biographies or novels, the 'my daddy beat me with spoons then I got a rare disease' type books and the majority of crime thrillers. However, if someone recommends or buys me one of those books, chances are I will give it a try. If I find it so utterly awful that I don't get past the first chapter, it goes on the sell/give away pile. If I feel like trying it again, I put it on a shelf for later.