What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

Don't really do Sci Fi.....but dh does. Doesn't really appeal to me to much in films either.

Also Da Vinci Code....just one of those books I can't be bothered reading because it has been hyped up so much.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it is interesting.

As for what I won't read...I don't like Stephen King. I tried to start IT three times, and always got bogged down a few pages in. I have read a few others of his, but that one was it for me. Hah, no pun intended. :)

Bios were mentioned above, I like some...Speak, Memory Vladimir Nabokov's autobio was fascinating, and I have some more around here that I have dabbled in, and enjoy. Bette Davis, John Nash, and two of Virginia Woolf. I think reading an authors bio helps in understanding their work.

I don't like true crime though, it is way too explicit and gory for my taste, and I don't read too much sci-fi, and don't care for fantasy at all.

As far as any political bios or autobios, I have read both of the Clinton books. But I also have to admit, I skipped most of the political stuff, I'm not interested in that part. I just enjoyed reading about their lives apart from that.

Those are the only ones though.

I avoid like the plague anything by well-respected, literary authors that I was forced to read for school - Hardy (man, was he depressing), Shakespeare, Ibsen etc. I hated every book I had to study at school.

I also don't like true crime books, or horror, as I'm a sensitive soul! :)

For my sins i've seen 2 HP films (only cos i've got a 12 year old who loves them), but i've never read the books and don't intend to. Sorry they just do not appeal to me, likewise with horror, sci fi and some celeb auto/biogs.

I can't read Stephen King, though I've tried. I either get too scared (Christine) or too confused (The Stand). I don't read horror in general.

I don't read a lot of biographies or autobiographies. I don't read military history.

I don't read weepies, either. Aga sagas or women's fiction that's nothing but one tragedy after another.

Call me a sap, but I read to enjoy myself.

I don't read Stephen King either - at least not his scary stuff. I like to sleep at night, you know.

Since I write romance, I tend to read heavily in that genre. Pretty much everything except erotica. Not my bag.

I also like books outside of romance. Authors like Orson Scott Card, Mercedes Lackey, Catherine Asaro, Marion Zimmer Bradley - fantasy & sci-fi are great! I recently finished Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential and it was a very interesting read. I love to cook, so anything chef-related is usually a green light for me.

As a huge King fan, I think there must be some books that you will like. I hotly debate the stereotype of King as a horror writer as I would call many of his novels as fantasy.

If you're not a horror fan, try reading 'The Green Mile' - it's not horror at all and it a brilliant book (and one of the few film adaptations of his work that's anywhere near as good as the book!)

After being a faithful Nora Roberts fan for years and seeing her stories become stale and more importantly, overwritten, I can't bring myself to buy any of her new stuff. I do, however, continue to read her old works. She was an incredible craftsman: Honest Illusions being her most impeccable work to date.

i refuse to read "the hobbit" by jrr tolkien, wasnt it?

cuz we had to read it in class in year 6, and it was SO BORING!! :) i gave it a fair trial, i got to page 50, and when still nothing had happened, i just said to my teacher "I CANNOT READ THIS!!" and he let me off+said i could read something else.

i dont know why we had to read it, we didnt have to do anything about it...

As a huge King fan, I think there must be some books that you will like. I hotly debate the stereotype of King as a horror writer as I would call many of his novels as fantasy.

If you're not a horror fan, try reading 'The Green Mile' - it's not horror at all and it a brilliant book (and one of the few film adaptations of his work that's anywhere near as good as the book!)

I forgot about that one. I might just be persuaded to read that book, I really enjoyed the film.