What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't touch chick-lit, the genres name is off putting enough as is, and I am a bit of a tomboy so none of the romance stuff either. Harry potter is another series I would avoid, I can't stand Daniel Radcliffe and when I look at the Harry potter books now, it's his voice I hear in my head.

Anything with a picture of a distressed child on the front entitled something like 'Daddy Please No' or "Betrayal". I do understand why people want to tell their story but after a 'child called it' (I think) there was just a deluge of them hitting the best seller list in ASDA. My Mum has read a loads of them, maybe one or two but I don't understand why you would continually choose to read something so upsetting!

Thats not meant to offend btw, thats just a personal view, I think its the way they are marketed with the obligatory little child on the front holding a teddy bear, there is something I just find unsettling about it.

Anything with a picture of a distressed child on the front entitled something like 'Daddy Please No' or "Betrayal". I do understand why people want to tell their story but after a 'child called it' (I think) there was just a deluge of them hitting the best seller list in ASDA. My Mum has read a loads of them, maybe one or two but I don't understand why you would continually choose to read something so upsetting!

Thats not meant to offend btw, thats just a personal view, I think its the way they are marketed with the obligatory little child on the front holding a teddy bear, there is something I just find unsettling about it.

Oh I agree. I read A Child Called It for psychology. I was pregnant at the time and it upset me so much. I hated reading it. I also read Today I'm Alice (again for Psychology). The abuse was written in loads of detail (and sometimes a single incident was repeated several times in varying detail) and it was such an horrific read.

I'm never ever going to pick up another book like that again. I just can't bear to read them and can't really understand why people would want to read loads of books like that.

In a local Smiths there was a whole section marked abused childhood, not the most cheerful selection of books.

Yes, I agree with this, and for the same reasons. They may be cathartic for the author (I hope they are), but I find them a little bit samey. And there was such a deluge of them that at one time, I would walk into a bookshop and just see shelves and shelves of misery memoirs. I've read one, maybe two, but wouldn't read any more.

I wont read Mills & Boons either or any other soppy romance for that matter (unless its incorperated within a fantasy book) I also wont touch any Stephen King books or books that go on and on and on with the same plot occuring thoughout every book in the series!

I also hate trashy celeb biographies, the I was abused as a child books (such as Dave Pelzer etc) and the non fiction books about people/children being abused. I like to read to get away from the real world, not to read someones depressing life story.

Edited by shelley.s

Yes, I agree with this, and for the same reasons. They may be cathartic for the author (I hope they are), but I find them a little bit samey. And there was such a deluge of them that at one time, I would walk into a bookshop and just see shelves and shelves of misery memoirs. I've read one, maybe two, but wouldn't read any more.

Yes my dad is one of those people that literally has read almost every one of these types of books! I buy him at least 4 of these books a year and it does make me cringe. Some of the things that occur in the books are just dreadful and I don't like the thought of him reading them. I don't see how it could be enjoyable

Mills and Boon and the twilight saga lol. I know the books are meant to be better than the films but I really hated the film. Also I love the true blood books so think they will be a bit too tame.

I don't like those abuse books either but I did read A child called it and did 'enjoy' it (can't think of the correct word). I did read one that was the first babysitter of Fred and Rose west that was very interesting as she became a key witness in there trial.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...