What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

Me, I stubbornly refuse to read Pratchett because people have been talking him up since the beginning of time, and every time I see him on TV he's irritating, and the "in" jokes people tell from his books just seem very unfunny to me.

And I can't face the thought of those depressing dark "i had a difficult childhood" Frank McCourt, Dave Pelzer type books, either.

And I always struggle desperately when trying to read any pre-20th century novels.

Anyone else?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I stubbornly refused to read the Harry Potter books, not thinking they were my kind of thing at all and the hype put me off. Well the hype was there but when I gave in and read them, I loved them and as on a previous thread cant wait and also dread the final book. Since then I cant say I have stubbornly refused any, because I think you can be pleasantly surprised.

I did the same with the Harry Potter books, Claire - ended up kicking myself for ewaiting so long - LOL!

I won't touch soppy romances. I steer well clear of the likes of Mills & Boon & their ilk. I'm proud to say I've never read one & I never will. Barbara Cartland is another one I'll never, ever try.

I'm iffy about "chick lit" too. There are some that I've read that I suppose might be catagorised as that, but I think, in general, the actual name of the genre puts me right off. I'm not into "girlie" things at all.

Westerns are another genre I've never been able to bring myself to read. My Dad loves Louis Lamour, but I'll never try them.

And I hate Anne Rice too. I read a couple of the Vampire Chronicles & although she has some really nifty ideas, I don't think she can write for toffee. not saying I could do any better, but there are many, MANY far better vampire books out there & I'd prefer to head over towards the likes of Charlaine Harris & Kelley Armstrong for your not-horror vamp books.

I also have a major bee in my bonnet about Virginia Andrews. I read the Dollanganger series when I was a teen & even within that series found her very repetitive. I then tried the Casteel series & found it to be more of the same. People kept on buying me the books though (which is why they ended up on my sale or swap list). I know someone else is writing them now since she's dead & all, but I can't help thinking they should have buried her writing career long before they actually buried her.

I've only ever read one "Western" book worth reading - Lonesome Dove. But it is a bloody fantastic book.

Wasn't it made into a TV series or something? The name sounds familiar...

I absolutely refuse to read biographies or autobiographies! I can't bear the general theme of how people have struggled to reach fame, what a difficult life they've had or dishing the dirt on their friends and families - no matter how cathartic it is to the writer! How can anyone achieved it all by 25 yrs old, or have a more interesting life than the average person in the street who often has a lot more to struggle with???

I don't do Harry Potter - too much hype - I usually work in the opposite direction to everone else. The more people that tell me I will like something, the more likely I am to hate it!

:D

And I agree with you Andy, I resolutely refuse to try the Pratchett books!

You've opened a can of worms here Andy...............

Ditto to everything Angel wrote in her first paragraph. HP doesn't do it for me either, I can't bring myself to read them no matter how fab everyone tells me they are - they are written for kids, give me grown up anyday.

Agree entirely with Andy re Dave Pelzer etc, not my cup of tea at all.

I refuse to read (auto)biogs of younger folks in general & of the z-list so-called celebs that think just because they were on Big Brother they're famous (ick!). I've enjoyed a few about people in whom I already had an interest, such as Michael J Fox, Christopher Reeve, Cybill Shepherd & Chirstopher Lee though, as they've had interesting lives.

Know what you mean about the autobiographies and biographies. Why would I want to read all about Jordan or Vicky Beckham??? Are they any different to the rest of us etc. Couldn't agree more

I'm with you on that too :D

I don't do them really, the only one I was reotely drawn too was Gloria Hunnifords book, about her daughter Caron Keating.

Know what you mean about the autobiographies and biographies. Why would I want to read all about Jordan or Vicky Beckham??? Are they any different to the rest of us etc. Couldn't agree more

Even worse than Jordan or Sticktoria Beckham - Jodie Marsh *shudder*. I wouldn't have any of their books in my house even if they were gifted to me. I don't think anyone I know hates me enough to buy me one........

Me, I stubbornly refuse to read Pratchett ............And I can't face the thought of those depressing dark "i had a difficult childhood" Frank McCourt, Dave Pelzer type books, either.

And I always struggle desperately when trying to read any pre-20th century novels.

Anyone else?

All of what you said - except I tried one Pratchett, but I realsied that my initial impression was spot on. I also cannot bring myself to read HP books, vampire stuff, wars, "I'm special" autobiographies, and Dave Pelzer horror stories. Obviously a big no no would go to those Danielle Steel, happily ever after kind of books. I am also not a big fan of Mr King.

Yes there are other books apart from the above that I enjoy. :D

I won't read Mills & Boon, I tried once with Catherine Cookson now I just plain refuse to even try again and I'm really going to make myself popular with this one but:

I've kinda been avoiding Kelley Armstrong too, again as someone said before, simply because of the amount of hype - and yes, I know that's daft, if people are raving, it's bound to be good but it tends to have the opposite effect on me at times.

I'm weird like that.

I'm just weird :D