What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a bit of a snob when it comes to reading, like some others have admitted to being, and point blank refuse to join bandwagons. Like the twilight series for example.

Having said that I refused to read the Harry Potter series and the Davinci Code and caved in eventually with both of them.

I don't like Chick Lit. I get really bored by them. I have tried to read numerous books that have been recommended but I just get bored by them.

I refuse to read books by Katie Price aka Jordan. Also there are certain celebrity autobiography / biography books that I refuse to read also.

Other than that I would hope to think I would give anything a go. I will at some point read the Potter's books. I gave Twilight a go and like them so who knows.

I will not read anything romance related, books where nobody gets killed, anything self published, books with bad cover art, books about the past....

What can I say but I'm picky...

So... someone must die in a book for you to read it? *laughs*

It does amaze me how someone so young feels the need to "share their life story" I mean, WHAT life?! I've got underwear thats been around longer than some of these kids. And the "celebrity" stars thing is a joke. What have you done?

I agree, my friend reads them all the time and it just sounds like it is one long epsidoe of Jerry Springer or the Jeremy Kyle show. :tong:

i will probably read them when am a little older cos am 30 years young at the moment and enjoy something more modern!
I am 24 and have been enjoying Jane Austen for about a decade now :tong: you make me feel like an old lady trapped in the body of a tiny tyke!

I will not read anything romance related, books where nobody gets killed, anything self published, books with bad cover art, books about the past....

As a matter of interest Ghost, what books do you enjoy (just curious).

Thanks.

I'm with Partyanimal on the Austen thing - except that at 38, I'm pretty sure I'll never read it. There's just nothing about it that appeals. Not just my hatred of period dram; but also the fact that the stuff I've read that it's been compared to I've found unutterably tedious. And the fact that I've found almost every piece of pre-WWI fiction I've read that wasn't consciously trashy completely unreadably turgid (see Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne for trashy and enjoyable).

I'm sure it's brilliant, but I'm equally sure that my taste is for the modern, and that I'd gain very little from reading it other than discovering that either (a) I was right, but now I can smugly say that I was right or (:tong: It's not quite as bad as I was expecting, but really, I could have spent my time better reading something else.

I'm with Partyanimal on the Austen thing - except that at 38, I'm pretty sure I'll never read it. There's just nothing about it that appeals. Not just my hatred of period dram; but also the fact that the stuff I've read that it's been compared to I've found unutterably tedious. And the fact that I've found almost every piece of pre-WWI fiction I've read that wasn't consciously trashy completely unreadably turgid...

Wooot???? I can't comprehend this! I understand the words but my sense of literature refuses to let me see the meaning of them :tong: Especially as I have about 5 different collections of Jane Austen's 6 novels!

I'm with Partyanimal on the Austen thing - except that at 38, I'm pretty sure I'll never read it. There's just nothing about it that appeals. Not just my hatred of period dram; but also the fact that the stuff I've read that it's been compared to I've found unutterably tedious. And the fact that I've found almost every piece of pre-WWI fiction I've read that wasn't consciously trashy completely unreadably turgid (see Dracula, Sherlock Holmes, Jules Verne for trashy and enjoyable).

I'm sure it's brilliant, but I'm equally sure that my taste is for the modern, and that I'd gain very little from reading it other than discovering that either (a) I was right, but now I can smugly say that I was right or (:tong: It's not quite as bad as I was expecting, but really, I could have spent my time better reading something else.

Sherlock Holmes!!! TRASHY?!?!? Good lord, I'm about to have apoplexy:motz::exc:

Strand Magazine was popular but not trashy. Contributions came from other dignitaries such as Agatha Christie, Winston Churchill, Graham Greene to name a few. Conan-Doyle felt Sherlock lent himself quite well to the Magazine. Unfortunately, after he had killed Sherlock off and was begged to resurrect him, did the stories become more populist. He said himself that Sherlock funded his other work.

The Penny Dreadful was the NoTW of the day.

What have you got against self publishing - I am a self published author and we're not all rubbish ! :tong:

I will not read anything from the Painful Lives section as I read to relax and for enjoyment and feel that I would find books of this kind quite distressing. I know many people who do like this genre but its just not for me.

Oh me too .... I find reading this kind of literature just weighs me down .. even if it has a positive outcome. Obviously a biog may have parts in it that are distressing .. I can cope with that, but I couldn't read a book that was based on someone else's distressing life experience.

I have an aversion to anything Jackie Collins/Danielle Steel .. I dipped in to them when I was younger and even then found it all too glossy/artificial and hollywood for my liking.

As for Jane Austen, I've read her and re-read her so many times with great pleasure. Whatever you watch on screen of hers .. is only a taster, the original is so much better.

What have you got against self publishing - I am a self published author and we're not all rubbish ! :(

Most of the ones I have read have been though and it's rather tainted my view. I'm sure your book isn't rubbish :tong:

So... someone must die in a book for you to read it? *laughs*

It does rather help! :exc:

As a matter of interest Ghost, what books do you enjoy (just curious).

Thanks.

I like mostly military sci fi, horror and crime books.

I am living in anticipation of the third JW Jr book coming out.... Have been on a cliffhanger for almost 2 years now!!

Ohh I've read this (was released here 2 weeks ago) it's awesome. I went to see Matthew speak last week and he assured us that we wouldn't have to wait as long for his next book as he has two pretty much written and ready to go.

Ohh I've read this (was released here 2 weeks ago) it's awesome. I went to see Matthew speak last week and he assured us that we wouldn't have to wait as long for his next book as he has two pretty much written and ready to go.

We don't get it til Jan 2010. I shall have to see if I can source a copy before then.

Last time I spoke to him, he was talking about writing another spin off featuring none other than Aloysius "Black" Knight from Scarecrow. I hope that is one of the ones he has done!!