Featured Author - Lynne Rees

Lynne, I've had a look at your sites and was very impressed at the time and help you are prepared to give new writers.

I always admire people who can critique poetry well, you see things that go completely over my head, but when pointed out, make the poem more enjoyable. The standard of writing is very high.

Edited by poppy

Lynne, I've had a look at your sites and was very impressed at the time and help you are prepared to give new writers.

I always admire people who can critique poetry well, you see things that go completely over my head, but when pointed out, make the poem more enjoyable. The standard of writing is very high.

Thank you, Poppy. I really appreciate your feedback. And if you ever feel like joining in at AppleHouse Poetry Workshop Online, or the new Your Messages project next month, then please don't hesitate.

I forgot to mention in a previous post about Your Messages that last year we raised money for the charity Kids Co through the sales of the anthology, and we're hoping we can do the same this year too.

Lynne, how long have you been writing for? Did you start with stories or poetry, or did the two develop side by side?

Hi Michelle - I didn't start writing until I was 30, twenty years ago now. I'd never written as a kid or teenager, apart from a short-lived attempt at one of those 5 year diaries with a little gilt lock... do you remember them? I think I managed to get as far as January 10th one year with scintillating entries like 'We had sausages for dinner' before I abandoned it completely.

I went to live in Florida in 1988 and I discovered Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones in a bookstore there and, taking her advice, I started writing for myself, just free-writing, not judging or editing at all. The whole process and committment to writing every day gave me a connection with myself that I'd never experienced before.

I kept writing on my own - short stories - and had my first ever acceptance from The People's Friend, who paid me

You must be really pleased with Your Messages, there are so many responses, and they're so good - I'm really enjoying reading them. How on earth will you choose that one overall best piece??

Is anyone here contributing?

Yes, it's great, isn't it! Sarah and I are delighted with the energy of the project again this year. And there are lots of new contributors too, as well as some familiar names. It's going to be hard to choose, but I've learned my lesson from last year and I'm reading them day by day and choosing my favourite. That way I won't get all goggle-eyed at the end of the month reading thousands and thousands of words!

It's going to be hard to choose, but I've learned my lesson from last year and I'm reading them day by day and choosing my favourite. That way I won't get all goggle-eyed at the end of the month reading thousands and thousands of words!

Ooh, there's a short list already? hehe.. inside info! I was considering having a go, but I'm over-awed by the standard!

p.s. Michelle - love your little pussycat avatar. I have a new kitten here in France - Chica - all black and a cute little rascal.

Thanks.. I actually have a cat very similar, although she's fatter!

100_0037 (Small).jpg

Edited by Michelle
added photo

What is easier to write, a short story or a novel?

Hello Katie.

I have no hesitation in saying 'a short story' but that's because I don't think I'm a natural 'long' story teller and struggled with writing my own novel, as short as it is. I'm full of admiration for people who can layer plotlines, explore a character's development through the years, and shift between points of view, and still make it all hang seamlessly together.

One of my favourite novels is David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas,although I had my doubts when I began to read it as to whether it was really a novel or a collection of short stories. But by the time I hit the middle of the book I was completely won over. It's a triumph.

I don't know if there are any writers out there who would say the novel is 'easier' (but it's a good question to ask other featured writers) because of the amount of time you have to dedicate to a novel and that brings its own difficulties.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you know that someone on Bookcrossing has offered me a copy of The Oven House, as I had it on my wishlist on there. :D Off to say 'yes please' :) She says it is a signed copy by the author at a Library gig!!