Finishing a book... starting a new one

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have far too many books on my TBR pile to allow myself the luxury of having a breather between books! I quite literally pick up a new book the second I've put the old one down (unless it's bed time or something :welcome2:)

If it is an average book I continue straight away with the next one. If the book was very good or had things in it that I want to think about, I don't. But so far my breathers have been no more than two days at most. So when I say I continue straight away I mean it very literally, as in put down one, pick up the next one.

I can do, but lately I have very little time for reading so I can hardly remember what's happening from one reading session to the next anyway - LOL!

If it is an average book I continue straight away with the next one. If the book was very good or had things in it that I want to think about, I don't.

Usually (about 99% of the time) I start a book immediately, but as Sara said above, sometimes a book makes me need a gap to digest - this is never more than half a day at most though.

I always start a new book immediately unless I finished the book in bed and cant be bothered getting out of bed.

:D That made me laugh, but so true.

I find the better the book I just finished, the hungrier I am for another!!

I agree :welcome2:

I start one as soon as I can once I've finished one. I carry my book about with me & if I know I will finish it soon, I start carrying the one I will read next as well. It gets a bit heavy if they are on the thick side. :welcome2: I finished one today at lunchtime and was itching all afternoon for the work day to end so I could start my new one on the way home.

Like KW said, the more I enjoyed it, the bigger my urge to start the next. Said that, there have been books that I wanted some time to digest, for example The Time Traveller Wife or The Kite Runner, but I started my next one by the evening/next morning.

I carry my book about with me & if I know I will finish it soon, I start carrying the one I will read next as well.

That's me today :17:. I'm at morning tea at the moment, and I have about 3 pages left to read of my book. I have another in my bag ready and raring to go!

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking whether it is advisable to start a new book immediately after finishing the last one you read.

Being a relative newcomer to reading, I am of the opinion that it is probably better to have a day break, so you can absorb, reflect and digest the last book before going into a new one. But I am guessing experienced readers can probably do this in a shorter amount of time than myself.

Any opinions??

I was just thinking whether it is advisable to start a new book immediately after finishing the last one you read.

Being a relative newcomer to reading, I am of the opinion that it is probably better to have a day break, so you can absorb, reflect and digest the last book before going into a new one. But I am guessing experienced readers can probably do this in a shorter amount of time than myself.

Any opinions??

It really depends on the individual. If you want to take a day or two, do so and if you dont feel you need to then dont. If the book is a part of a series then you probably will be dying to get straight on to the next one or if it was a long read maybe you will fancy a rest. Either way its up to you. I usually go straight on to the next one but thats just me.:)

A word of warning though - this site is addictive!! :) So use sparingly and with caution in between reads!!:):lol:

Edited by Charm
grammar

For me it all depends on how the previous book has affected me. Sometimes when I've read a book that's so good and have had trouble parting with the characters, I need to give my imagination a bit of a rest, as otherwise I find myself drifting back, or comparing the current read with the previous one!

GWA.

:lol:

Since I usually have two or more books going at once, it's no problem for me to go from one book to another. I also do a lot of re-reading, so I don't have to really digest a lot of the books I read...I've already read them!