Janet's *very* long-term Around the World challenge

Janet

Wow Janet, awesome list! I have a few on my library wish list but nothing this cmprehensive. But then I'm still in the enviable(?!) position of still being able to tick off easy countries, USA, Australia and most of Europe. Then it's going to get tougher!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been building that list up a long time. Every so often I spend time on Fantastic Fiction looking at the countries (like Diane mentioned doing on the last page) and then Wikipedia to check country of birth, and then Amazon to see what the author has written. It is getting harder but I've read a few good countries that I know I wouldn't have read otherwise. I think the one from Botswana is one of my favourites of the non-mainstream countries I've read in this challenge. :)

I'm not intending to purchase them - hopefully I'll be able to get them from the library. :)

ETA: I was wondering about Akrotiri which is on the list. It's an area of Cyprus classed as a Sovereign Base Area of a British Overseas Territory.

The only thing I've come up with so far is Fender: The Golden Age by Martin Kelly! It might have to do though...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, that's really kind of you. :) I'm a little bogged down with books at the moment so would it be okay if I take you up on your offer at a later date if it's still there?

I found Madame Verona Comes Down the Hill by Dimitri Verhulst in my Mum's library - the author was born in Belgium.

ETA: When I say my Mum's library, I don't mean her own personal library - I mean the library in the town she lives in! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that's really kind of you. :) I'm a little bogged down with books at the moment so would it be okay if I take you up on your offer at a later date if it's still there?

Absolutely, just let me know if/when you want to read it!

Good to see you still chugging away Janet - I have just finished Sri Lanka, so am about to go and update mine also, and write a review. I know it's early, but 7.20am isa lie in for me, as I normally have to get up at 6am !

Absolutely, just let me know if/when you want to read it!

Will do. :)

Good to see you still chugging away Janet - I have just finished Sri Lanka, so am about to go and update mine also, and write a review. I know it's early, but 7.20am isa lie in for me, as I normally have to get up at 6am !

Hope you enjoyed your lie in then. :)

• 1 month later...

It was so slow to start with, Alex - it got better towards the end but there must be better choices for South Africa. :)

And thanks. :) I've done 2 so far this year - I'm aiming for 5, but hopefully I might manage more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have reviewed my country list. I had 257 countries on my it, but they didn't match the list for the map site I use. I've been through and removed any countries not included on world66.com. Technically (as June mentioned) there are only 193 distinct countries, but I have left some so and the list now stands at 233 countries

036-2012-Jun-07-TheBoyWhoHarnessedtheWind-AMemoir.jpg

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind – A Memoir by William Kamkwamba

The ‘blurb’

William Kamkwamba was born in Malawi, a country where magic ruled, modern science was a mystery, hunger and drought were a daily reality, and hope and opportunity were hard to find. Faced with crippling adversity and unable to afford the tuition to pursue his passion for science at school, William had a ‘crazy idea’ which would eventually bring electricity and water to William’s village, transforming the lives of those around him.

Another book for my world challenge. I started this one a couple of weeks ago and struggled through the first 40ish pages as it just didn’t grab me – it was feeling like one of those books which would be a chore to read. However, I persevered and I was so glad I did!

This isn’t just a tale about windmills and science, but is about William’s life in Malawi. His father had been a market trader and a bit of a rogue, but then he met William’s mother and his life changed. He moved to be near his brother and started farming the land, growing maize and tobacco, and although the family didn’t have much money, life was good.

But then came the drought in 2001 which obviously affected the crops. The situation was terribly bad for Kamkwamba’s family and considerably worse for many other people. William had to drop out of secondary school, a fact that upset him considerably as he had a thirst for knowledge. The majority of this memoir is about the family’s struggle to feed themselves in such terrible circumstances.

William has always had an interest in science – particularly energy. He manages to make crude sources to run the family’s precious radio (purchasing batteries, as a luxury, are out of the question) and eventually finds his way to the village library. There he borrows textbooks and an idea forms that, if he could bring it to fruition, would change the family’s fortunes for the better. The rains finally come and although the family still struggle, things do improve. Armed with his new-found knowledge about harnessing wind to make electricity, William starts exploring the local tip for parts, and soon constructs a windmill. The villagers, and to some extent William’s own family, think he’s ‘misala’ – crazy – but with the help of his cousin Geoffrey and his good friend Gilbert (the villagers’ Chief’s son) William constructs a crude windmill – and it works!

Reported in a local newspaper, the story was blogged and quickly went spread, leading to Kamkwamba being invited to speak at conferences in Tanzania and then America. His fame led to offers of help and since the first windmill was built, William has not only brought electricity and fresh water to his home but to his village, as well as refurbishing the primary school and various other projects. William’s story is truly inspirational and once I’d got into it I couldn’t put it down.

I think there are 224 countries on my list, but I'm not sure how that's happened given I think I got the spreadsheet from you! The only edit I made to it was splitting Serbia and Montenegro.

Sorry - I wasn't very clear in my post. I meant that on the first page of this thread I had a list of 257 countries - that I think I got from this site - but then the spreadsheet I was using came from a different site! I have gone with the spreadsheet list as it's more accurate, although there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer! :)

I've done Serbia but might pinch your idea for Montenegro (when you do it) and add it back in if the book you read is any good! :P

I just thought I'd post my suggestions list, in case any one else doing this challenge would like to check them out. In each case, the author is born in the country listed. Where possible I've tried to ensure the book is set there too. some may be non-fiction and a few may be children's/young adult books.

Algeria - The Attack by Yasmina Khadra / What the Day Owes the Night by Yasmina Khadra

Angola - The Book of Chameleons by Jose Eduardo Agualusa

Argentina - The Paper House by Carlos Maria Dominguez / The Tango Singer by Tomas Eloy Martinez

Bangladesh - Brick Lane by Monica Ali

Bosnia and Herzegovina - Bridge Over The Drina by Ivo Andric

Bulgaria - The Voices of Marrakesh by Elias Canetti - note to self - book (obviously!) not set in Bulgaria – there are other options for this author so check settings

Cambodia - When Broken Glass Floats: Growing Up Under the Khmer Rouge by Chanrithy Him

Congo-Brazzavil​le - Little Boys Come from the Stars by Dongala Emmanuel Boundz

Eritrea - My Fathers' Daughter by Hannah Pool

Estonia - Brecht at Night by Mati Unt

Ethiopia - Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese

Faroe Islands - The Old Man and His Sons by Heðin Brú

Finland - Purge by Sofi Oksanen

Greece - Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

Guyana - Kiskadee Girl by Maggie Harris / Whole of a Morning Sky by Grace Nichols

Haiti - Love, Anger, Madness: A Haitian Triptych by Marie Vieux-Chauvet

Hungary - The Door by Magda Szabo

Iceland - Last Rituals by Yrsa Sigurdardottir

Indonesia - Twilight in Djakarta by Mochtar Lubis

Israel - Let it be Morning: A Novel by Sayed Kashua

Jamaica - The Same Earth by Kei Miller

Jordan - Pillars of Salt by Fadia Faqir

Kenya - One Day I Will Write About This Place by Binyavanga Wainaina / The Challenge for Africa by Wangari Maathai

Kyrgyzstan - Jamilia by Chingiz Aitmatov / The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Malaysia - Evening Is the Whole Day by Preeta Samarasan / Inspector Singh Investigates: A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder by Shamini Flint

Malta - South From Granada (Penguin Modern Classics) by Gerald Brenan - note to self - book (obviously!) not set in Malta – check to see if other options for this author set in Malta

Mexico - Sweet Like Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Mozambique - Under the Frangipani by Mia Couto

Nepal - Buddha's Orphans by Samrat Upadhyay

Nigeria - A Time For New Dreams by Ben Okri / Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngoli Adichie / I Do Not Come to You by Chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani

Peru - Eva Luna by Isabel Allende - (think I have The House of the Spirits by same author)

Portugal - The Elephant's Journey by Jose Saramago

Saudi Arabia – Girls of Riyadh byRajaa Alsanea /The Belt by Ahmed Abodehman

Senegal - Murambi, the Book of Bones by Boubacar Boris Diop

Sierra Leone - A Long Way Gone: The True Story of a Child Soldier by Ishmael Beah / Bite of the Mango by Mariatu Kamara

Singapore - Foreign Bodies by Hwee Hwee Tan

Somalia - Black Mamba Boy by Nadifa Mohamed

South Korea - The Bird by Oh Jung-hee / Our Twisted Hero by Yi Munyol / Fox Girl by Nora Okja Keller

Sudan - Minaret by Leila Aboulela / Season of Migration to the North by Tayeb Salih/ Slave by Mende Nazer

Togo - Do They Hear You When You Cry by Layli Miller Bashir

Various - Best European Fiction by Aleksandar Hemon

Vietnam - The Tapestries by Kien Nguyen / Vietnam - Night, Again - Contemporary Fiction from Vietnam

Yemen - I Am Nujood, Age10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

Zambia - Wilbur Smith