Janet's *very* long-term Around the World challenge

Janet

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed it.  I gave it 3½/5.  :)  It's autobiographical and entirely based in Guyana and covers the period from Maggie's birth up to 1971 when the family moved to the UK when she was about 17 years old.  It's a collection of stories about her family and her childhood - it's quite... chatty in style - not great literature, perhaps, but enjoyable nonetheless.   :)

• 1 month later...

I have looked at a couple of his books, but wasn't sure which one to get. The one I really want - A Tale of Love and Darkness is sadly not available on Kindle - although I do keep asking ! I do though usually enjoy books from this part of the world.  

I liked this one.   :)    It should have been a quick read but I've been poorly this week.   I came across it by chance on my way out of the library - I saw the author's name and looked in the front to see where he was born! 

I go in fits and starts with it!   I have Poland on my Kindle (think you might have that one too - The Long Bridge: Out of the Gulags by Urszula Muskus?) but I don't fancy it at the moment!

I've found a few really good books by accident in the library (and some not so good!).

Yep I've got Poland. I've also got Iceland, Hungary, South Africa and Malaysia on my kindle. My book buying habit has got out of control over the last 12 months I'm not sorry to report!

:blush:  Oh yes - I  looked at that one yesterday and umhed and ahed about whether to download it or not and didn't come to any conclusion - then promptly forgot!  He's just won a significant prize for a different book (I can't remember what it's called but it has a red cover!  :P  ).  I guess for 99p I should take a punt - thanks for the reminder.  :)

I think I had some kind of detective book on my wish list for Malaysia (a detective Singh mystery, maybe).

• 1 month later...

I finished Zambia today.   Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gaile Parkin.    As the title suggests, this book is actually set in Rwanda, not Zambia.  I really enjoyed it and have since discovered a sequel and a third one in production! 

Thoughts on this one to follow (although I'm behind with my reviews again! :blush:  ).

worldmap-2013-08Aug-07-45countries-Zambi

45 Countries - 19.31%

The Zambian one? (I think you've done Guernsey).   

I haven't written my thoughts down yet, but I very much enjoyed it.  It's not a challenging read at all - it's quite... light and 'holidayish'!   :)

It covers quite a few subjects (this has been a criticism of it) but I think that if one takes it as just a 'good story' then it's very enjoyable - and it does give a taste of the things people deal with in Rwanda - albeit not in any great depth and not in a political way.   It has been compared to those Alexander McCall Smith books about the woman detective - but I haven't read any of those so I can't comment.

Janet

You are doing a great job on your World Challenge . I like the neat map you have . How do you go about adding the countries when completed ? It sounds stupid , I know, but to look at all the colored in parts, it looks like you'd be further along than 20 % , but there are so many TINY countries scattered in among all the white areas ,aren't there ?  How many countries total ? I think it was around 200 ?

And have you found it easier to find the books at the library or on the Kindle that are from so many different places ?