Janet's *very* long-term Around the World challenge

Janet

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - that's really kind of you. :hug:

It's actually part of my library's site too (Bath & NE Somerset libraries are amongst those taking part) and I picked up a 'reading passport' in the library on Thursday - I'm going to have a go at doing it although I'm not sure I'll complete the six books within the deadline. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What did you think of it Janet - I loved it. It is a subject matter that interests me though, as I can relate to both of the main characters - I work as both a housekeeper and a writer, with sometimes extrremely cantankerous (not sure if I spelt that right) old people !

Edited by Talisman

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I will look that one up and see if it's on Kindle (somehow I doubt it). I cheated when I did Greenland and read a book about an expediton across the icecap, but this one does sound interesting.

If Greenlandian isn't a real word then it jolly well ought to be! :D

I've gone for a very tentative three this year. I really want to try to get my 'to read' pile down a bit more before I acquire any more books. I will see how it goes though and will probably increase that number. :)

Yes, languages are always subject to change, perhaps next year there'll be an entry for Greenlandian! :D Oooh I wonder what the word was that you ... oh I just remembered, prettyful! :D

Here's hoping you can get down and dir.. efficient with your Mount TBR this year and will make prettyful progress with this challenge :friends3:

• 2 months later...

I didn't realise it was so long since I last 'read a country' - August! :o

I've just finished Papua New Guinea!

Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1) by C A Larmer.  The author was born in Papua New Guinea, but the book is set in Australia.  I'd had it on my 'WC Wish List' on Amazon for a while priced at £1.99 for Kindle - I just happened to check last week and it had changed to being free so I downloaded it.

Review to follow (at some stage) but only a 2/5 from me, I'm afraid.  I didn't hate it, but it wasn't brilliant and I certainly don't feel the need to read any more of the series (which is currently up to 4).

If something else comes up which is actually set in Papua New Guinea then I might consider reading it to get a flavour of the country (I obviously didn't read the 'blurb' as I didn't know it was set in Sydney until I started it). 

For now, 40 countries = 17.17%

worldmap-2013-03Mar25-40countries-PapuaN

That's not one I have heard of, although I have read a lot of Icelandic books. The Icelanders are a very literary bunch though, with an estimated 25 percent of the population being published in some way or another (so I read somewhere). I might have to look this one up then to add to my collection.

• 2 weeks later...