Ceinwenn's reading challenge

Ceinwenn

If you're looking for a different read, and for Ireland, try Wilde's plays. Third of my quotes comes from them, they're hilarious. (Another third from Disney and one from Marx Brothers. I rarely make sense.)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so I'm holding an informal vote on what I should do with my next country on my list as I am nearing the end of my current book & have yet to find a book for my next country. If you would like to vote to help me make the decision, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I voted! I think you should read a book about Andora if you have trouble finding otherwise. :D

Last night I finished reading The Attack by Yasmina Khadra, which is about an Arab/Israeli doctor whose wife is the prime suspect in the suicide bombing of a Tel Aviv restaurant. The book centres around Dr. Amin Jaafie's attempt to learn how the woman he loved so much, whom he thought was above reproach & who he believed he knew inside out could have been a part of this hideous, barbaric act.

I thought that The Attack was a very well written book (though in some parts the translation from French does become hard to take - the translator uses words that just seem pompous in their use & only really serve to make Dr. Jaafie seem pompous). I would recommend this book to anyone who has even the slightest interest in Arab/Israeli relations, as it offers an interesting look at the conflict between these 2 groups.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so almost 2 months has passed since I have read a book for my reading challenge & I am not best pleased with my progress! As such, I have amended my rules for this challenge (if you're interested, there's a post about it on my blog). I had intended, perhaps foolhardily, to read the books following my list in the exact order as it appears here, alphabetically. That has now changed! I shall just be reading them as I find books I like the sound of, as I find them.

I like the new rule better, Ceinwenn. It means you don't get 'trapped' into reading a particular book when you might feel like reading another one! This sounds much easier. Good luck! :lol:

Thanks guys! This was really important to me, otherwise I think I would have been stuck on Andorra for ever! Not to mention that if I did the countries in Alphabetical order, then I wouldn't get to read my Library Thing Early Reviewer's book until.........well maybe never, lol, as it's about Zimbabwe & the author is from Zimbabwe, so it's perfect to use toward my challenge, once it arrives! I have to admit that I am so much more motivated now that I have decided to forego the orderly Alphabetical system!

I've been doing a bit of digging for you, and I found a couple of suggestions for Andorra when you get to it later ...

Fantastic Fiction has a listing for Jane Welch, who although she is a British author, she wrote her first novel while living in Andorra. It might be a bit tricky to get hold of, but could be an option.

Also, if you can allow yourself a bit more leeway, then Peter Cameron's Andorra, A Novel is getting a new issue published in June this year (not sure why). It looks like it was originally published in the 1990's, so you might be able to keep an eye out for an old copy in second-hand/charity shops, or according to amazon, it's released in the UK on 1st June.

Don't know if either would suit you, but hope it's been helpful and gives you a couple of options when you do have to come back to find something!

Thanks Chesilbeach! The one by Peter Cameron was the one that I was considering reading, but from what I can tell is not the least bit factually accurate as far as Andorra is concerned. The book is supposed to be set in Andorra, which is a land-locked country high in the pyrenees, yet there are beaches & a harbour large enough for luxury yahts & the main character is from a fictional county in England. These, under different circumstances would not put me off reading the book, but if I can not find an English version of a book by an Andorran author, then I would at least prefer to read a factually accurate book about Andorra!

I shall take a close look at the one you have listed, from Jane Welch! Thanks for your help!

*I just checked Amazon & The Runes of War is available! New & used from .01p!

Edited by Ceinwenn

I think that your changing of, rule number 3, makes a lot of sense. You`re much more likely to complete the challenge now, as it will be more enjoyable to read a book that you`re in the right mood for. :smile2:

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I started & finished my book for country # 66 at the weekend (Germany) & oh boy, I wish I had chosen a different book! I did not enjoy reading Homecoming (ok, I enjoyed the 1st part, but the rest was cr**!). (Review)

Since I am now covering this challenge on 4 different websites, to save me time I am going to only say a bit about whether I liked each book I have read & if you want to read my reviews, they are on my blog & I shall provide links.

• 1 month later...

Country #198 - Zimbabwe

I read An Elegy for Easterly by Petina Gappah for my Zimbabwe choice. I am quite glad that I read this book but it's unfortunately not one I really enjoyed. The stories are really well written but some of them seemed like they were only partly finished & some of them were really abstract, which is not something I really enjoy. It did, however challenge me in the respect that this is not the kind of book I would normally read, which was the whole idea behind doing this challenge!

It's a tricky one to make progress on though - and at least you're doing it. :D

I got all excited about adding Germany to mine (The Reader) until I remembered that I already did All Quiet on the Western Front! ;):D I keep thinking I should do Russia next to fill in a big block of red on my map!

• 4 weeks later...

For England I decided to read a book by a fairly recently discovered author - Linda Gillard. I had read (and loved) her book Emotional Geology, so decided to read Star Gazing (my review) as my choice for England. I couldn't have made a better choice if I had tried! I know that there are a few others on here who have read this & I know that equally, they loved it as much as I did! I think Linda has a wonderful gift of storytelling and I am sooo happy that there is a very smart publisher (or two) out there who also recognised that fact. I think Linda's books speak to a very large market & I for one will sing her praises far & wide in the hopes that people search out & buy her wonderful books!

Hey Ceinwenn, I remembered that you were struggling with Andorra and came across two books set in Andorra so thought I'd drop by and let you know incase you still haven't found anything :D

Andorra by Peter Cameron

If You Dare by Kresley Cole

Hope this helps! :D

Thanks Lexi! I knew about Andorra by Peter Cameron but decided to give that one a pass because it is supposedly set in Andorra, but is so inaccurate. Haven't heard of the other one so will definately have to check it out!

picture.php?albumid=195&pictureid=1745

I finished reading Star Gazing by Linda Gillard a fair while ago (June 8th, to be exact) & it was a fantastic book! I had previously read one of Linda's other books & this one was even better! An excellent read & I am so glad that I chose it for my England read.