Jacquot and the Master by Martin O'Brien

JoannaM

I didn't have much luck starting a discussion on the last book I posted here, so maybe this one is better known.

This must be the third of fourth in the Chief Inspector Jacquot series - and they are all great. If you enjoy novels that really make you feel you are in the sunny landscape where they're set, you'll find these stories about a French detective in Provence right up your rue! They are atmsopheric but often surprisingly gritty, although his particular outing is set in a smart hotel where a famous old artist holds sway. There's quite a satire on the vogue for upmarket painting holidays and as well as the dark underside of the international art market. Inspector Jacquot is a rugby-playing gourmet (there are always good meals along the way...) and a really charismatic character.

Has anyone else read it - or any of the earlier ones?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I've read two in this series, the first - Jacquot and the Waterman and then Jacquot and the Angel. I really liked them especially, as you say, you feel the sun on your back in Provence. He is an interesting character, not 2-dimensional like a lot of detectives, he actually has a few flaws.

I am behind now in this series and need to catch up as I think he has written quite a few more in the series.

Edited by SueK
typo

Hi there, I've read two in this series, the first - Jacquot and the Waterman and then Jacquot and the Angel. I really liked them especially, as you say, you feel the sun on your back in Provence. He is an interesting character, not 2-dimensional like a lot of detectives, he actually has a few flaws.

I am behind now in this series and need to catch up as I think he has written quite a few more in the series.

I'd certainly recommend Jacquot and the Waterman as a first read. A lot grittier than the subsequent ones, but more about the detective's character - as SueK says, well-drawn and interestingly flawed. - as well as the Provencal setting, especially a darker than expected Marseille.